It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There’s always hope. (From one hypocrite to another) My visits to the battlefields of ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
“Deny Ignorance” is the sites motto. That is a very commendable ideal. Though, I believe that it is an ideal only achieved through ones perspective. They provide diverse and varied forums with which, for you & me, the posters, can put out our point of view on many topics. I like the way they filter the profane and off-topic language from posts, this helps to prevent this site from becoming much like the rest and keep the discussions on track. I like this as it makes me take a breath prior to posting a response. I can be quite profane at times in person. I’ve been called a habitual line crosser by my friends.

I have been lurking about ATS for years, never a member until recently due to being in the Military. I am now retired and can speak my mind.

On to the hypocritical part. I am one of the most happy-go-lucky guys you will ever come across, I’m very mellow and love to help folk. I am also one of your worst nightmares if I feel me and mine are threatened, I do not believe in graduated response. Whether on the literal or daily life battlefield I try to put down the bad guy as quick as possible and move on. Those two mindsets conflict with one another and can be construed as hypocritical.

My mood is always listed as “humbly arrogant”. I know what I know and am willing to defend it, but I am always ready to listen to a civil and realistic counter-point. I’ve actually changed my views on various things because I am willing to listen to a particularly persuasive point. My standards are not based upon emotion, but reality. I fail my own standards often because I am also an emotional being, but at least I recognize my failures.

I see debate as a good thing, but all too often, especially in the political forums, it just boils down to trench warfare, with people taking potshots at one another without actually going out to meet the opposition (That’s why I am a habitual line crosser, I do). I myself fall into Winston Churchill’s category of, “If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” Actually, I try to balance both but rarely does one agree with the other. So I stick with the brain for the most part as the heart has steered me wrong in the past.

The humorous line crosser in me will often show up here as well because, because I found a response that amused me and wished to share. If I made one person smile, I’m happy with that.

For those of you who are unwilling to listen to the opposing points of view and return with a rational argument. Stay in the trenches, you’ll be buried there.

I believe that the Patch Adams commune, Code Pink, etc to be people with a good message, but that it is delusional and realistically will never be. I actually support their right to message the people, just please change your theatrical tactics as most see you as fools who have nothing to really contribute.

Then you have people like the ELF, Muslim Brotherhood, Westboro Baptist Church, AQ, etc who would do us physical or psychological harm to pass their message. They’ve made no bones about it either. They should not be ignored, but confronted and if need be, eliminated, if you cannot change them. Therefore, bury them in the trenches. I know that will irritate some here, but sometimes you have to put down a rabid animal. It’s never fun but it has to be done.

I no longer consider myself a Veteran of a 1000 Psychic Wars, just a Vet who still has much to learn. For those on both sides of the aisle, you continue, no, require, me to constantly re-evaluate my positions. Y’all ROCK!

Ahhhh, I feel better.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Hi TDawgRex,

Great post! You sound a lot like me.

Thanks for your military service. I still regret not being able to serve. I was an Air Force brat for 18 years, and lost the vision in my left eye while we were stationed in Spain. I certainly miss military life.

Enjoy your retirement, it is well deserved!

See ya, Milt

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Happy Memorial Day my friend. I'm incredibly happy you made it home alive and I wish you the best in your future pursuits.

I really enjoyed reading your post. Few OPs are as articulate and flow so well. And I appreciate someone that can actually spell! A rare trait these days I'm sorry to observe.

Near the end of your post you lost me, though. You wrote of something along the lines of a Patch Adams commune and a Pink Bunny. Is this military jargon? I did not serve, therefore I wonder. Or are those mixed drinks that are popular with the young folks? Back when I was making the bar scene Martinis, Screwdrivers, Rum & Coke and multi-booze drinks like Kamikazes were the thing.

Any way, I hope you have an excellent weekend and hopefully you can take some time to re-civilian. Go have some fun, you deserve it. Man I'm so happy you're home, it doesn't matter I don't know you. I mean it. One more question: What are you going to do next? Thinking of college or vocational school?

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by LargeFries

Those would make for great names of mixed drinks.
You may well have a career ahead of you as a mixoligist.

Patch Adams, Code Pink (It's a organization) are considered by some to be peace-niks. Not a bad thing mind you. I'd rather train for war, than go to war. (And I have deployed numerous times). I just don't agree with their messaging techniques as they always look foolish in my eyes. Maybe they need a lobby?

I’m seeing education counselor on Tuesday. My mind is all over the place when it comes to education, maybe they can help me narrow it down to a realistic list. I like working with my hands and traveling. I look forward to the future. Another adventure. YEEHAA!

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by LargeFries

Those would make for great names of mixed drinks.
You may well have a career ahead of you as a mixoligist.

Patch Adams, Code Pink (It's a organization) are considered by some to be peace-niks. Not a bad thing mind you. I'd rather train for war, than go to war. (And I have deployed numerous times). I just don't agree with their messaging techniques as they always look foolish in my eyes. Maybe they need a lobby?

I’m seeing education counselor on Tuesday. My mind is all over the place when it comes to education, maybe they can help me narrow it down to a realistic list. I like working with my hands and traveling. I look forward to the future. Another adventure. YEEHAA!

Maybe I can just get a job as naming the drinks, my organs battled too long and hard to sample them anymore. I'm full.

Thank you for the reply and for telling me of those organizations. I like your statement: "I'd rather train for war, than go to war". That is good wisdom.

Good luck with the education counselor. I hope you have a good one that takes your past grades, military experience, strengths/weaknesses, likes/dislikes and projections for future employer market needs.

Please beware of the many schools advertised on TV these days. The world needs just so many motorcycle mechanics or guys that can custom hotrod paint a car while the school needs full classes to make money, they could care less if there is work. Better schools have accreditation from the state and the credits you earn can transfer to other schools. Best of luck

new topics

top topics

join