It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Martial Arts for those of us over 60

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
After reading a thread on which is the best martial art, I started wondering. What the best for us old farts who don't get up quite as quickly as we used to. I have a 2ond degree black belt in tkd, and a strong foundation in self defense. If you throw a punch at me, I will most likely deflect and counter with whatever technique is appropriate. I haven't trained in tkd for several years, and, due to some joint injuries, doubt that I ever will again due to those damned flying kicks. And, in case your wondering, I can still kick my six foot brother in the head, and I'm only five nine. But why would I want to kick him in the head, when his nads and his knees are so much closer.
I'm open for suggestions. Keep in mind that I live in a small town, and there are no instructors here. I'm an hour away from anything.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

Carry a long umbrella with hook handle.

Very useful, open it in their face distracts em and makes em jump back.

Hook handle u can pull their leg from under em.

Everyday objects, very useful, also covered under a defence called "instant arming" and you can get away with something that you cant by carrying a knife for example which is "going equipped"

The general idea is to NOT get into a fight in the first place, and if you do, get out of it and away.

You don't have to be a ninja to get out of trouble. False thinking.

Go to youtube, you will see grannies waving handbags at a gang of armed bikers robbing a store. She won.

Also an old pensioner ex WW2 was mugged at an ATM, he supprised them again, pushed them back hard, that caugh them off guard.

And, SHOUT AS HARD AS YOU CAN to get attention.

If somebody grabs me from behind, run backwards onto something

Most importantly of all, stay as calm as you can.

edit on 29-5-2011 by zookey because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Aikido and or Tai Chi would be my recommendations.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
Aikido and or Tai Chi would be my recommendations.

Tai Chi, also very healthy and good exercise in slow motion, mentally and physically, no need to break a sweat.

Also, cardio, go walking.

Skip if you can, better than jogging.

edit on 29-5-2011 by zookey because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Get yourself some Bas Rutten videos he has a good variety, and calls out the combos and such for you. Get a nice pair of 16 ounce kickboxing gloves, hand wraps, a heavy bag and if you have a partner some target mitts.

Basically train yourself. If you have a 2nd degree in TKD you already are a highly advanced martial artist so you must have the flexibility (able to throw a headkick) basically do combos on the pads and hit the bag. I would basically just work on my striking speed and power. Work your leg kicks and mid level roundhouse. That and calisthenic exercise.

I'm gonna imagine 60 or not you would definitely have the edge on most attackers..

If you feel up for it I would try to do a bit of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu if you can, I would say it's the best defense for a weaker or smaller person. It's like the science/math of martial arts, lots of thinking and positioning.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
look into ju-jitsu...specialy since you have a strong background in tkd. with ju-jitsu, even if they get close enough to grab you or put you on the ground, you will have the techniques to handle it..no jumping or flying stuff and you don't need to be flexible like a rubber band.

in the end tho, it is your overall skill in whatever you know

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by zookey

No need to break a sweat??? I have come out of 2 hrs of Tai Chi dripping wet, but you are right Tai Chi is excellent for everyone and can be done at a level to suit individual needs.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by eleventhsun

I love Bass, he's also totally hilarious and recounts some of his hairiest moments as a doorman, although I am stumped as to why any punter would dare try it on

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Krav Maga is the only way to go for survival.

It's all about using the least amount of energy to inflict the maximum amount of damage. Incredibly efficient although not strictly speaking a martial art, the focus on form and artistic elements are non existent.

You'll also learn to defend against multiple attackers in realistic scenarios. I can't praise it enough, my only criticism is that it can be expensive...

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I recomend the hong kong phooey style.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by clintdelicious

Yes I love the guy, he really is a legend in the sport of MMA as well as a completely wonderful and humble person. I've been a fan of him since his fighting days in Pancrase.

Bas is an excellent trainer and has some variations of techniques that make them a lot more beneficial to a true street attack as opposed to an actual combat sport environment.

Youtube is an excellent source of training videos too, a lot of great camps put videos up now.

Check out some of the 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu - Eddie Bravo and others have many videos up. Also any Gracie family videos. What I noticed while training BJJ is that it really is a slow moving learn, it takes much practice and patience, while it can be quite aggressive; the earlier stages of training are pretty addictive.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

I took classes for about 2 months and it was about 80 bucks a month (Canadian)

It really is a helpful tool, and I was in class with an elderly gentleman who would have tore most people to shreds, just an animal.

It is pure aggression and offense. I think you have to be 18 and sign something saying that you will be learning to seriously hurt or even kill people.

So yes, if you can find it (it's getting much more popular) I would definitely give it a try. First day you learn like 7 different elbows. :p

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
No offense to my elders; I have the utmost respect for you all...

But there is no martial art that will prevent a group of brigands from having their way with a senior citizen unless you are protected by a group of people who have your back.

Guns are great, but I'd recommend that you invest in a social structure that has plenty of able-bodied young folks to protect you.

a 60 year old bruce lee would not be able to protect himself in the face of 3 motivated young attackers.

a 60 year old Chuck Norris, however... :-)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by voiceoreason

Ummm... Bruce Lee kicked Chuck Norris' a** dude what are you smokin? :p haha.

But yes even a younger person with training would have a hard go against multiple attackers. Doesn't mean you shouldn't train yourself to at least defend, take shots and protect yourself enough to escape.

The FIRST thing you should always do if attacked is escape, why even risk it these days? But everyone should have the confidence in some form of technique to at least subdue some of the beating.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I recommend the ancient art of pepper spray,it requires no training and will save you big gas money traveling back and forth to the karate studio.You dont have to wear those ridiculous white suits either.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

I think you all missed the part where he stated he now has bad joints.

In a question like this you are going to get as many recommendations as replies.

At 60, what is your need and/or desire to further your training?

I agree with those who recommend the Tai Chi Chuan if your looking for joint pain relief and enhanced health.

If your looking to increase your defensive skills, I would look for a local teacher who would train you in a more combative Tai Chi (something similar to "Chang" style) then hopefully be able to teach some type of joint manipulations/locks (similar to Chin Na) and finally, if your joints can handle the abuse, mix in your hard styles and learn throwing techniques.

After many years of honest training and practice, you will be able to mix them all together to work as a single combat system.

In the mean time you would be probably best advised into researching your local concealed weapons laws and finding a "HIGHLY QUALIFIED" instructor to train using weapons in accordance with those laws. Kicking your brother's ass is one thing but being able to react properly in a deadly force situation is a completely different universe.

How do you get to Carnegie Hall???

regards,

t

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I would say persons such as Jack LaLane and a choice select few would have a chance at an average target at the age of 60.
For the majority at that age muscle loss/atrophe, stiff joints arthritis, Etc.
Don't mess with me at 60, I'll carry a gun everywhere, in the shower, closet to get shoes, backyard.
It's not like you'd make a 50 year sentance stick on me, my contract with father time will be up waay before that.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by zookey

When I go some where that might not be as safe as I'd like it to be, I carry a walking stick with a crooked handle. Plus, it has a little surprise. If I give the handle a couple of quick twist, I have a 17 inch blade in one hand and a club in the other. I'd rather get arrested for having such a weapon that be buried for no having it. People would be surprised at what you can do with a cane or an umbrella. I also don't leave the house with an extremely sharp folding knife that is big enough use in fight if necessary.
It looks like you and I are on the same page. I'm just looking for new techniques or new applications. My wife says my hands are just as fast as they were 20 years ago.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

I used to incorporate akido moves in sparring. The footwork keeps an opponent off balance.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

I have been practicing Krav Maga for most of my life. I have found that putting a end to a assualt as fast and violently as you can will always make others think twice. Though it has also been used against me, and not always for the better.

I'm a lover, not a fighter....until need be. There are those who have taken me off gaurd and used that against me. Oh well, It happens to the best of us sometimes. At least I'm still here.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join