It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did the comet Elenin cause the Norway Spiral, and the January 2010 Eureka, Haiti and Solomon Island

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
People keep saying that this Elenin comet is so small and therefor have no gravitational effect on earth whatsoever.
How about density of the mass of the comet?
Would Elenin cause more gravitational pull if it consisted of very very dense mass?
And how about the electrical influence if it is very dense in mass - would that change at all if that was the case?

I don't know much about this, but I keep seeing people talking about size alot and never about density.
From what I learned in physics class back in school there are in fact materials that can be small in size, but very dense and therefor very very heavy.
Just curious if we know the density of the comet and if it's effects on earth could change significantly depending of it's mass density.

What do you think fellow ATS'ers?

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1
Did the comet Elenin cause the Norway Spiral, and the January 2010 Eureka, Haiti and Solomon Island Earthquakes?

A 10mm square of rice paper suspended a few miles above your head would have 1000 fold more gravitational influence on you (or electrical if you prefer) than comet Elenin. I hope that puts things into perspective for you.

I’m not a Geologist, Cosmologist nor Astrophysicist,

That is clearly apparent!

IRM

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Tollon

The mass of a comet is usually always less than a terrestrial planet and or asteroid. It has negligible gravitational effects on anything unless it collides with anything. Do you understand what a Hill Sphere is? Or Roche Limit is? If not then you need to read up on celestial gravitational effects in bodies in space. For instance (from memory where I posted the real numbers because the gravitational influence of bodies in space is simple math), that the entire solar system mass combined (if it was ever aligned), would be less than 2% of the tidal effect we get from our moon even at an average of *239,000* miles away, including the sun which is over 98% of the entire mass of the solar system.

So tell us how a light cold ice dust of matter no bigger than 5 km in diameter can have any gravitational effect on anything not nearly touching it. It would hardly even dent our moon on impact. (different story to life if it impacts earth, but far from a projective ELE). But it will miss earth by half the distance Venus comes to earth, and will not cross our orbital plane, (3D stuff).

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

So why do you think that this planet has had record breaking floods, tornadoes, earthquakes...
I would like to see some references to those floods, tornadoes and earthquakes that you consider record breaking, if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Your welcome.
Record flooding is also expected in Baton Rouge and New Orleans, La.
abcnews.go.com...

Here is just one example of record flooding with record tornadoes from NOAA.
“Event Summary - April 21-27, 2011 Heavy Rain, Record Flooding, and Severe Weather - updated 10:10 am 5/10/11 Severe weather and extreme flooding affected eastern Oklahoma and northwest Arkansas from April 21-27, 2011 along a frontal boundary, which had stalled across the region. The front pushed further eastward by April 27 and was associated with the historic tornadic outbreak across the Deep South Region.”
www.srh.noaa.gov...

Tsunami Slams Japan After Record Earthquake, Hundreds Dead Japan was struck by its strongest earthquake on record, an 8.9-magnitude temblor that shook buildings across Tokyo and unleashed a seven-meter-high tsunami that killed hundreds and engulfed towns on the northern coast.
www.bloomberg.com...
If you want more. just use your Google search button, it will only take about 0.11 second.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic
reply to post by Tollon

The mass of a comet is usually always less than a terrestrial planet and or asteroid. It has negligible gravitational effects on anything unless it collides with anything. Do you understand what a Hill Sphere is? Or Roche Limit is? If not then you need to read up on celestial gravitational effects in bodies in space. For instance (from memory where I posted the real numbers because the gravitational influence of bodies in space is simple math), that the entire solar system mass combined (if it was ever aligned), would be less than 2% of the tidal effect we get from our moon even at an average of *239,000* miles away, including the sun which is over 98% of the entire mass of the solar system.

So tell us how a light cold ice dust of matter no bigger than 5 km in diameter can have any gravitational effect on anything not nearly touching it. It would hardly even dent our moon on impact. (different story to life if it impacts earth, but far from a projective ELE). But it will miss earth by half the distance Venus comes to earth, and will not cross our orbital plane, (3D stuff).

Since you are so good with math, Elenin will come as close as 0.232 AU from Earth. An AU = 149597870.7 kilometers (92955807.27 miles). How close will that be in miles?

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Since you are so good with math, Elenin will come as close as 0.232 AU from Earth. An AU = 149597870.7 kilometers (92955807.27 miles). How close will that be in miles?

22 million, but why is everybody picking on Elenin? Honda and Levy will be a lot closer. I have the feeling that had Elenin been named Smith, nobody would even notice it.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Pauligirl

Honda is supposedly about 1 km in diameter. I made a graphic to show what that really looks like, let me look into my ATS photos to see if I haven't deleted it yet.

Ah yes I haven't deleted such insignificant things yet.

Near earth approach of an asteroid that was one pixel in diameter in the first image.

I think we be safe for a while, since Elenin as you say closest approach to earth is about 22 million miles and Venus can approach earth about twice that distance and it is nearly as big as earth, yet has next to no gravitational effect on earth or earth's orbit around the sun.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pauligirl
I have the feeling that had Elenin been named Smith, nobody would even notice it.

I'm going to buy a telescope and discover a comet just so I can call it "OMFG!"

IRM

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
How could a chunk of rock and Ice that is very far out cause tornadoes and earthquakes?
This comet doesn't have enough mass to do squat.
The moon doesn't cause earth quakes and tornadoes yet it's gravity is powerful enough to cause the tides.
How is this little snow ball going to do anything?
Does it have some sort of magic gravity?
I'm suprised nobody has chimed in about HAARP or Nibiru yet.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
The simple answer to your question is NO. Comets do not cause earthquakes. Fractures in the Earth's crust do. Nor does the alignment of planets. It was the ancients who saw the heavens as an explanation for everything that occurred on Earth. Be careful who you listen to, especially on Youtube.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
reply to post by Violater1

Did the comet Elenin cause the Norway Spiral, and the January 2010 Eureka, Haiti and Solomon Island Earthquakes?

NO!

Next?

(Sheesh....the *Norway Spiral* was a rocket launch!!!)

edit on Sun 29 May 2011 by weedwhacker because: (no reason given)

And what would the other Spirals be that have seemed to appear at different times in various parts of the world? More rocket launches?

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Record flooding is also expected in Baton Rouge and New Orleans, La.
abcnews.go.com...
That only says that they were expecting record-breaking floods on May 21, not that they happened. Did they really happened?

“Event Summary - April 21-27, 2011 Heavy Rain, Record Flooding, and Severe Weather - updated 10:10 am 5/10/11 Severe weather and extreme flooding affected eastern Oklahoma and northwest Arkansas from April 21-27, 2011 along a frontal boundary, which had stalled across the region. The front pushed further eastward by April 27 and was associated with the historic tornadic outbreak across the Deep South Region.”
www.srh.noaa.gov...
That's correct, record breaking floods in Oklahoma and record breaking tornadoes in Tulsa.

Tsunami Slams Japan After Record Earthquake, Hundreds Dead Japan was struck by its strongest earthquake on record, an 8.9-magnitude temblor that shook buildings across Tokyo and unleashed a seven-meter-high tsunami that killed hundreds and engulfed towns on the northern coast.
That's correct, a record-breaking earthquake in Japan.

But that's not what I was expecting. If something is affecting the whole Earth in a way that can create record breaking floods in Oklahoma, record breaking tornadoes in Tulsa and one record breaking earthquake in Japan, why doesn't it affect the rest of the world?

Why aren't there record breaking floods in Japan and record breaking earthquakes in Oklahoma, for example?

Why aren't there record breaking floods in Africa (I don't know if there were any, I may be shooting my own theory down
), or tornadoes in Europe?

If it's something affecting the whole planet, the results should be felt on the whole planet, not just some very small parts like Oklahoma or Japan, places where the events that were record breaking are common, although not that strong.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   

If something is affecting the whole Earth in a way that can create record breaking floods in Oklahoma, record breaking tornadoes in Tulsa and one record breaking earthquake in Japan, why doesn't it affect the rest of the world?

If it's something affecting the whole planet, the results should be felt on the whole planet, not just some very small parts like Oklahoma or Japan, places where the events that were record breaking are common, although not that strong.

Remember who you are asking. He's NOT a Geologist, Cosmologist NOR Astrophysicist.

I surely hope you weren't expecting an answer based on expertise.
edit on 30-5-2011 by cluckerspud because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by cluckerspud

If something is affecting the whole Earth in a way that can create record breaking floods in Oklahoma, record breaking tornadoes in Tulsa and one record breaking earthquake in Japan, why doesn't it affect the rest of the world?

Remember who you are asking. He's NOT a Geologist, Cosmologist NOR Astrophysicist.

I surely hope you weren't expecting an answer based on expertise.
edit on 30-5-2011 by cluckerspud because: (no reason given)

At least ArMaP(interesting acronym) asks easily answered questions (ArMaP you really should try using the search option before asking some of your questions), you have only provided elementary crassness to my thread.
Regarding Illustronic, nice graphic, however your error is in your misunderstanding of pixels (picture element). Your monitor maybe different than other members monitors and thereby, skews your response.
The picture element is a logical - rather than a physical – unit, and is dependant on how you've set the resolution for your monitor. If your monitor is set to the maximum resolution, the physical size of a pixel will equal the physical size of the dot pitch. If it’s set less than the maximum resolution, a pixel will be larger than the physical size of the screen's dot, or a pixel will use more than one dot. Ergo, adjusting from 800 by 600 pixels per horizontal and vertical line to 640 by 480 means fewer dots per inch on the screen and an image that is less sharp. I use 3, Dell UltraSharp U2711’s at 2560 x 1440 (I believe) with 2 nVidia cards.
What they, or I see could be different than what you do. However again, nice graphic.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
And now there is this nice thread. Which has the same detractors.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 30-5-2011 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Can we Please Stop the Personal Sniping, and Off Topic remarks !

Address the topic NOT the poster.

As well, let's try to keep the comments somewhat topic centric.

Did the comet Elenin cause the Norway Spiral, and the January 2010 Eureka, Haiti and Solomon Island

Thanks

please do not respond to this post 'in thread'
edit on Mon May 30 2011 by Jbird because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Did the comet Elenin cause the Norway Spiral, and the January 2010 Eureka, Haiti and Solomon Island?

in what context do you mean exactly? the gravitational pull?

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

I may be shooting my own theory down
), or tornadoes in Europe?

Here is a link to the BBC report on a tornado off the central coast of Australia's New South Wales.
www.bbc.co.uk...

Here is a link to the ATS story.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
That is a waterspout, not a tornado.
And they are not dangerous or uncommon.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join