It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Measles Outbreak

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I searched for this topic already so if it has already been dicussed then my apologies! Anyway I thought it was interesting that this was on the front page of yahoo and I thought I would share it with you all.

Beware: 2011 is on track to be the worst year for measles cases in more than a decade. Although the Centers for Disease Control declared the highly infectious and potentially fatal disease “eliminated” from the US in the early 2000s, it continues to spread, with the highest number of cases this early in the year since 1996, the CDC reported this week. Here’s the scoop on the outbreak and how to protect yourself and your family.

health.yahoo.net...

I don't know if it is anything to get worked up about, but it is odd that measles is making it's way into the news with a bang. I was under the impression that measles was an almost unheard of thing these days, but I was kind of shocked to see that it had made it's way onto my yahoo news page. If it is old news then yahoo needs to catch up, if it is new news then I am going to keep an eye on where this goes...a measles outbreak seems odd with the rest of the events in the world standing as they are.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I mentioned this in a reply to another post recently but maybe it should be re-introduced: Even though my children received their measles shots and all related boosters THEY STILL GOT THE MEASLES! This was a long time ago as they are grown now, but it is still relevant today. Not ALL immunizations work on ALL children, which is something usually not discussed when you get your kids immunized but usually IS mentioned in small print in the paperwork you receive when you get shots for your kids. Also, the HepA shots don't work on ANYONE in our family nor many others that I know personally.

Until scientists can come up with vaccines that work on everyone there will always be the chance for outbreaks of diseases that for the most part we have been led to believe have been wiped out. There is not much of a chance for that to happen, as all human bodies and immune systems are different, not to mention that the diseases themselves have been known to mutate and become unaffected by current preventative measures.

Immunizations are just a tool to help prevent the spread of diseases. Until the science catches up VIGILANCE is our next greatest tool!

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Thats a good point...while I was checking this out I found this also:

More than 95% of the people who receive a single dose of MMR will develop immunity to all 3 viruses. A second vaccine dose gives immunity to almost all of those who did not respond to the first dose.

www.cdc.gov...

Apparently the vaccine is not alway 100% effective against contracting measles, and at times even a second vaccine is required.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I had measles as a child. My children all got the chicken pox vaccine and came down with mild cases of chicken pox and can get them again. Vaccines are hit or miss, why..... who knows. It seems there is cases of things popping up lately. Last year 2 children in my oldest child's class alone had scarlet fever. I believe the total that had it were 6 in the school system. The school shut down 3 times for mass cleanings on the weekend due to illnesses and the health department came in and had them install more cleansing stations in the school for the staff and students.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by finitydream

My youngest daughter, now 11 years old (actually today his her B-day) was given the MMR and still ended up with a full blown case of the measles. This was back in 2000, so it was a while ago...my wife pointed this out to me because (according to her) I have a very selective memory sometimes.

Here I am introducing a thread on measles and forgot to include my own families run in with it. Opps...

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv

Still on the topic of disease, but not measles. There have also been the first two reported cases of Bubonic Plague in the US. Seems that is spreading via fleas. New mexico is on alert and some have taken to wearing flea collars on their ankles. I find it interesting that we have the decades worse outbreak of measles, and then this. Combined with the rash of 'killer' weather and flooding. It should turn out to be an interesting year to say the least.
I have explained to my children the signs of sickness that they should avoid like 'the plague'. I am not one to be paranoid, however complacency tends to proliferate disease. We should all take steps to be prepared just in case.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by StripedMIB

i always found it strange when hiking in colorado, there are little signs everywhere that say not to come in contact with rodents, because the probably have the bubonic plague!!

top topics

join