It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Alan Keyes to Challenge Barack Obama in Illinois?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 11:58 PM
link   

The Illinois Republican Party has offered Alan Keyes the opportunity to run for The Senate seat against Barack Obama, this would mark the first time in US history that two African-Americans would run for the same Senate seat. Keyes, the former Presidential candidate lives in Maryland but all he needs to do if he decides to accept is to move to Illinois prior to the election. Keyes said a decision would be made on Sunday.

www.cnn.com
CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) -- After two days of deliberations capping an often-frustrating six-week search for a new candidate, the Illinois Republican Party on Wednesday night offered its U.S. Senate nomination to former GOP presidential candidate Alan Keyes, who does not live in the Land of Lincoln.

However, Keyes did not immediately accept the offer, saying he needed time to consider whether to run. He said he would announce a decision on Sunday.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Barack Obama delivered a passionate speech at the Democratic Party Convention last week and was hailed by some to be a possible future presidential candidate. The Republican candidacy became available after Jack Ryan bowed out due to a scandal revealed in his divorce papers.

Related News Links:
Illinois Republicans Pick Keyes in Senate Race

[edit on 8/5/04 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 02:38 AM
link   
not pitchin a fit here, but I've had a thread open on this for a while now...

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Alan will beat his brains out if he decides to run for the Senate seat. Excellent choice as an opponent.

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Keyes is a great man who can win in Illinois. I think the Democrates will cry foul about his campaign. His running would take race out of the election. Brilliant play by the Repulicans.

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I'm from Illinios and Keyes would be a disaster. He has no idea wtf is going on in Illinios. Obama is an excellent canidate. Keyes isn't too bad except he doesn't know a thing about Illinios seeing as he's from Maryland. I'm pretty sure he's never lived in Illinios.

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrsdls
Brilliant play by the Repulicans.

A five year old would know how to play against Obama. It's not really a brilliant play at all, more of a deeply shameful one.

They picked this guy BECAUSE he was black, thats whats wrong with it. They could've picked many white guys and they wouldnt have a chance but they picked a black guy who doesnt have a chance so they can look like a party of inclusion. Obama WILL be elected and shame on the republicans for playing the race card.

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I think its shamefull. They may as well had Bob Dole run. I'm outraged that the GOP is trying to place a man from a different state in office in my beloved state.
We know that the Republicans don't care about the state of Illinios after this for sure. Its all about there higher agenda.

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Cyberdude!

This "district shopping" never goes down well with the population of the state. The feelings of negativty against Keyes you feel will be felt by millions across your state. He is an outsider, out of touch with the state and the population. He does not have a chance.

What the republicans have also done is deny themselves the "honky" vote. Some would not vote for Obama because he is black and would vote for a white alternative no matter the affiliation, while i feel bad for saying this about people it does happen.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Have you all forgotten about Hillary?

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I didn't support Hilary either. And I definatly won't support this guy. Of course if he does accept the job than he's nothing but a hipcrit.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 05:01 PM
link   
This one is a no competition one Obama will take Illinois. He is young strong and a heck of a good speaker, he will win even if he was a Republican I still say the same thing.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by sublime4372
not pitchin a fit here, but I've had a thread open on this for a while now...

sublime, It's okay for us to have both a discussion thread and an ATSNN article...all is well.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 06:37 PM
link   
What were the Republicans in Illinois thinking? There are over 12,500,000 people in this state and not one good enough to run for the Senate seat?

A candidate would only have to campaign a little under two monthes before the election. There would be a huge surge of publicity about the nominee and therefore the candidate could hit the ground running.

I respect Mr. Keyes, however, an outsider, I don't think he will have a chance.

I think the Republicans just want to get someone on the ticket and save face until the next election.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 06:49 PM
link   
There were plenty of good canidates. Only none of them wanted the job because they all knew Obama is going to win. So none of them wanted to put "loser" on their resume.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Alan Keyes rocks! He thinks exactly like I do.
I'd vote for him for any political office I was allowed to.
(I live in Texas, not Illinois, so obviously, if he runs there, I won't be able to vote for him.)

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I'm a long time admirer of Alan Keyes. He is one of the most spell-binding speakers I have ever heard. This man is inspired.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I think this guy just threw the election away:

Keyes has plan for reparations

I wonder if he had discussed that with the GOP before he ran? The sad thing is that he is now comparing his rival to a slaveholder.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Alan Keyes would be an excellent canidate if he was running for office in a state he actually lived in. Really an example being, no matter how great the king or queen of England is, you still wouldn't want them in control of the USA. WTF does Keyes know about Illinios, and if he's so great how come he's not a senator from Maryland?

new topics

top topics

join