It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Isle of Man TT - The greatest sporting event in the World!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Well, it's that time of the year again. Tomorrow the practice sessions begin in what is considered one of the most dangerous race meetings in the World, the Isle of Man Tourist Trophy races.

Run on closed public roads over a 37.73 mile circuit that takes competitors through towns and villages, rural farmland and even over a mountain, speeds can reach 200mph.

Every year, the best motorcycle road racers from Britain, Ireland and multiple countries worldwide congregate on this small island in the Irish sea to pit themselves against each other in the ultimate test of courage, determination and sheer bravery.

Thousands of fans also gather for what has become an annual pilgrimage for many.

This year, the famous Snaefell Mountain Course is celebrating its 100th year of racing. The race starts in the island capital Douglas before heading to the west and north, through Kirkmichael and Ramsey before returning to Douglas. On each lap, competitors have to negotiate over 200 corners as the course goes from sea-level to an altitude of over 1,300ft.

To date, since racing on the Isle of Man began in 1907 over 230 people have lost their lives.

The reason I believe this to be the greatest sporting event in the World is that it is one of the few sports left that has not been completely sanitised by health & safety regulations. The men and women that take part each year are well aware that every time they get on the bike they may not be coming back.
As someone who has attended this event for the last 6 years, I am aware of the dangerous nature of it and I have seen many nasty sights while there, but while the last thing I want to see is anyone getting hurt or killed, I know that given the nature of the sport it will inevitably happen.

So, what do you think is the greatest sporting event?

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by cahlmac

I wish you could add some photos of the race and this incredible island steeped in history and mystery and maybe tell us a little bit about the place?

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by cahlmac

cahlmac I'll have to agree with you that this test of skill, speed and endurance of man and motorcycle is certainly amongst the most breath-taking events ever. I envy that you've been able to attend these past few years and I'm sure you'll have a grand time tomorrow.

while the world of extreme sports that has blossomed over the past (two?) decades certainly offers some hair-raising thrills, I'd still gladly swap all of them to attend the Man.

i've tried to find a poster or t-shirt on eBay to show my support for these two-wheel warriors but alas, no luck. i've loved motorbikes since i was a lad in short pants. as a young man i used to paint watercolors of the riders on their mounts leaning deeply through the high-speed curves. motorcycling racing thrills me as much as seeing a truly stunning woman --- exciting, lovely, great fun to watch, wish i was doing it.

way back in my 20's i owned a old Moto Morini Cafe Sport 3 1/2. what a well made machine! my mates loved to borrow it from time to time but eventually i was disappointed that they did not get bikes too. it was not until many years later that they finally told me they thought if we all had bikes we'd wind up ending ourselves. wankers!

please remember to bring something warm in case of a chill and perhaps an umbrella, you never know. and don't forget your camera! enjoy

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

Here's a couple. Sorry first thread. Still trying to get the hang of things still!

Guy Martin crash 2010. He recovered and was racing soon afterwards

The 37 mile course in relation to the size of the island.

John McGuinness. The second most successful rider in the events history

Will post more soon.

edit on 29-5-2011 by cahlmac because: (no reason given)

Sorry those pics are not good. First thread AAaaaarghhh!!!
edit on 29-5-2011 by cahlmac because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by LargeFries

If only I was going this year!! Me and the missus decided to buy a new car and that put an end to all plans for the TT

Needless to say, the depression is now beginning to set in as all my fellow bikers I see every weekend are right now preparing their bikes and getting all the gear ready for the Ferry trip over next Friday evening.

Going to have to settle for listening to it online and have already booked my time off work for the Senior TT.
Disn't tell the boss though

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Sumo wrestling is the best.You cant beat watching 500 and 600 pounders grappling.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
How about the highland games,now that is some athletic greatness.Those guys are throwing trees .How many people can say I throw trees around for sport.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by brindle
Sumo wrestling is the best.You cant beat watching 500 and 600 pounders grappling.

LOL,.. yeah whatever you're into

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by cahlmac

This is one place I really would love to visit one day myself.
Here are a few pictures I found that I think might give folks a feel for the place.

After you paste link into your post using the IMAGE box, edit this out of the link in the beginning [atsimg]
and edit this out at the end [/atsimg]
This will show your picture and get rid of the "link to external image" message. Another hint is take out the "edited by" portion (the last line) whenever you re-edit, so it will not look like you edited more than once.

Ahh...lovely.

edit on 29-5-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I am going to have to say,I think quarters is the greatest sporting event in the world.Tha amount of skill it takes to bounce a quarter into a glass full of beer is tremendous.I tip my hat to these warriors.

top topics

join