It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here we go again... Religion(s)!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
They're atheists because they have not had religious experiences and some have a world view where all claims to miracles are lies or delusions. Until God personally shows them he's real they won't believe.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

You wrote:

["They're atheists because they have not had religious experiences....."

That would be the agnostic atheists.

Quote continued: [".....and some have a world view where all claims to miracles are lies or delusions."]

And those are the gnostic atheists.

Quote: [" Until God personally shows them he's real they won't believe."]

And that's where general rational reasoning comes into it. First which 'god'?

Are there many 'gods' or only one? And when different people experience different 'gods' is this then a sign of these people not having an 'authorized' ('true') experience, is it a sign of 'gods' being a completely subjective phenomenon happening inside peoples' heads and is it really so unreasonable to request evidence on the whole subject, considering the confusion and conflict associated with theism.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by bogomil

I watched the film 'Contact' yesterday, have you ever seen it?
The film examines this very well.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
reply to post by bogomil

I watched the film 'Contact' yesterday, have you ever seen it?
The film examines this very well.

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with it. Is it commercially available? (I do on principle not pirat-copy any films).

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by 547000
They're atheists because they have not had religious experiences and some have a world view where all claims to miracles are lies or delusions. Until God personally shows them he's real they won't believe.

Unfortunately, I group you with all of the "others". You do not have a clue as to why I do not believe in a higher entity. Read my reply on the first page.

By religous experiences are you referring to asking Christ for forgiveness in front of the whole congregation crying your eyes out. Hmmmm....most would chalk that up as a religous experience. Me......now I personally think that that is the "guilt" that the church and religion make you feel. Yes they make you feel guilty and repent. I know.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

You will be disapointed when the outcome you seek is not there. It will not matter though because your brain will be dead and your neurons quit firing..... Yes neurons = brain function..

It is nice to know,,though,,,that you are an expert on why I do not believe.

edit on 30-5-2011 by liejunkie01 because: on

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

Just saying but doesn't the bible count the seven days and then say something about 7 heavenly days = 7000 earth years or something like that. If I'm wrong please say so but thats what I thought it was.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dominikas

Just saying but doesn't the bible count the seven days and then say something about 7 heavenly days = 7000 earth years or something like that. If I'm wrong please say so but thats what I thought it was.

In any case 7000 years is still far from the scientific dating. It could be 7 million years and not be close.

And while there's some 'footnote' somewhere on what a divine day is (practically any position can be 'justified' by a special way of bible-interpretation), a divine day, as referred to in genesis 1, includes a divine evening and morning.Then what are those (divine mornings and evenings) in a solar-less system?.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by bogomil

I'm sorry but I couldn't tell you however thanks for clarifying that about the 7 thousand years. However there are still questions as to the reliability of carbon dating beyond the 60,000 year mark (there are two many sites on this particular debate), however that is debate, and not fact, and this is not that particular debate.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Dominikas

Sure, but at least we can discard the actual chronology of the time from the alleged Eden expulsion to contemporary times.

And on a grander scale, creation isn't in any case measured by carbon dating. There are other commonly accepted methods in scientific methodology giving answers (ofcourse not answers satisfying creationists, but then creationists haven't been able to validate their own alternative metods very well (to say the least), especially not as a competitor to standard science/logic).

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

That is exactly my point. The bible says seven days, but something else says that seven days = 7,000. It is nothing but a cover. A cover to try to help explain the quagmire, we call the Bible.

Truly ,,7 heavenly days.
How many days does one earth day equal in hell?

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Truly ,,7 heavenly days. How many days does one earth day equal in hell?

not sure whether anyone can answer that but going off the other scale 7000 earthly years. But again debatable.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Truly ,,7 heavenly days. How many days does one earth day equal in hell?

not sure whether anyone can answer that but going off the other scale 7000 earthly years. But again debatable.

I had to give you a star for that one. It looks like I missed you by about 40 minutes or so. I had to watch a movie.
I would have much rather been on ATS with you guys..lol ....I do not know if I am ready to get fired up on a religous tyrade at this moment. I will catch you later. Not trying to be a chat room, or be off topic, but I thought I would respond with something.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join