It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Infomercial euphoria tingle (ASMR)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I have a neurological condition that is known as ASMR or "Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response".
There is very little research on this. Probably because people don't notice it, don't wanna talk about it because other people might think they are weird, or maybe its because they know they have it but never knew what to call it.

I searched for years to find others that experienced this sensation. Then one day last year I happened to use the right search terms and fell upon a site dedicated to the few others that have this.
www.asmr-research.org...

I have had ASMR for a long as I could remember and when I would tell people about it they would of course give me a strange look and then just call me crazy or something similar.

Those of you that have this sensation probably already know what I'm talking about and are saying something like "Oh my god there's other people like me, I'm not nuts" lol or something like that.
But for those of you that have no idea of what I'm talking about or are just unsure if thats what they are feeling.
Its like this; There are triggers for it, usually infomercials or "how to" videos will do it.
You start to feel it in your head or on your face and then you can sometimes feel it all over your body. The best way to explain the feeling would be "a physical happiness sensation" or "euphoria".

Some people (such as myself) can trigger it on their own without the use of an aid such as an informercial.
However when watching the Dr. Ho Massage Therapy infomercial, I get a very intense ASMR sensation. No matter how many times I've seen it.

Some say that this may be the indication of an indigo child or other spiritual things.
Like I said, there's not very much research on this.
It probably has to do with the fact that there are not very many people that experience ASMR.

So, are there any fellow ATSers out there that experience ASMR?

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by darbur

You are very ignorant.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by nolabel

Thanx but it doesn't really bother me all that much.
Its just that ignorance does not promote progress and research.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by nolabel

did you read the symptoms on the page provided
its nothing its just making a condition out of nothing its laughable crap

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by darbur

I have it, as do others.
You do not have it so you do not understand.

Whats worse is that you do not want to take the time to understand it.
Just give it a chance.

If people were to be ignorant like this all the time then things like epilepsy would still be called an infection of demons.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
What is special about infomercials? Does other programing do this to you?

The indigo child stuff is bull, imo. A way for people to feel special about themselves. Indigo auras aren't new.

is it like adrenalin? I can give myself adrenalin on command. It's pretty neat.

Also, how long are you sitting in front of the tv a day? Don't answer that if it's offensive or anything.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by JackyMenace

I think what is in the infomercials that triggers it is the calming or involving voice that they use for marketing.
Chiropractic and medical type videos trigger it to. Another thing that triggers it is watching Monk or other OCD people do their routines. So it might be that, it might be about watching something redundant or repetitive.

I personally don't think that its an indigo child thing, its just something that I briefly read.
I never really looked into the indigo child thing much, so I dont know much about it other than that they are people that think they are special for a variety of reasons.

The adrenalin thing sounds interesting. I wish I could do that.
Its not really like that, its more of the opposite, a calming effect.

I dont really watch much TV other then Hockey and Baseball. And I watch it at night when trying to get to sleep but sometimes during the evening at half-time I flick through the channels and I'll land on an infomercial and I'll get the ASMR effect. So it not something I only get when I'm tired.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I feel the same when i watch almost any commercial with piano music. My eyes usually get a bit moist, lol.
People dont noticed usually.
Depending on the number of ppl in the room i will have different reactions.

It doesnt affect me in a bad way. In fact, i think my dad gave me this awareness when he passed away.
I'm confident theres alot of folks out there with this same ability.
I would be sad if i was to loose this rush of emotion.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by eagleeye2

Pianos rarely do it for me but this guys voice when he talks and his music are so intricate and involved that I think thats the reason this one triggers the ASMR.

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Well all brains are wired different. I think it has more to do with the software than the hardware, though. It could just be different pitches changing your brains theta waves.
Maybe.. We are indigo children with super powers. I can give off energy and you can calm people down and somebody else can read minds or see visions of the future. El oh el

edit on 29-5-2011 by JackyMenace because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   
To continue on the theta waves thing, I have a program on my android that does that. Most of them don't make me feel anything but one of them that goes down to like 3 hertz makes my face feel heavy and my eyes somewhat glossy. Much like what you guys are describing.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   
im a little confused what your saying here.. the link isnt very good or informative and your op isnt really clear either..

i think your talking about when you get kind of a rush of sensation through your body, usually runs from your back up through the back of your head.. and it does feel pretty good..
i dont think there anything special about this, and it certainly isnt an "ability" as another poster had said, i think this happens in everyone.
and i can honestly say it has never happened watching a commercial either..

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Sometimes I get a "tingling" that starts in the middle of my back and triceps and moves up through my shoulders, neck and to the top of my head.

It is a feeling similar to someone running feathers on my skin.

Sometimes I can accomplish this feeling on my own, other times it just seems to occur by being in a certain environment.

...is that what you mean?

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Yup just like Heroes lol

If i understand the OP, the SOUND of his voice trigger that thing.
When i watch those comercials, theres usualy someone speaking too, so maybe both SOUND could trigger me as well. Since the voice is a sound.

I think different reaction is triggered with the memory and your own self (whats moved you) .

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

abity: power or capacity to do or act physically, mentally, legally, morally, financially.

Nothing special, like i allready said. Maybe i should have said "abilty" .

edit on 29-5-2011 by eagleeye2 because: (no reason given)

@kevin
yup that look like it but its triggered for no particular reason in my case.
Its like a different kind of orgasm. Its somehow overwhelming.
edit on 29-5-2011 by eagleeye2 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Thats an interesting observation.

Introducing controlled frequencies for different amounts of time might be a good "test" to further explore such things.

My guess is that there is a good chance it is frequency induced. If not directly from external sources, then perhaps a cyclical response within the brain operations that is stemmed from seeing or hearing something externally cyclical.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Never realized there was a name for this. I do it when I watch people sing. It doesn't happen listening to the radio, but almost always happens when I watch someone sing, especially on TV. I also get teary eyed.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Hi Fish- I was amazed to see that another person has this condition. Up until a few hours ago I thought I was the only one. I get these sensations as you describe. Triggers for me are: 1, a show of sincere empathy from one person to another- triggered first in grade 2 when one girl in my grade 2 class offered sympathy to another girl whose mother was in hospital, and this included just stroking her friends head as she sat at her desk teary-eyed 2. watching a slow deliberate tactile motion (no, not sexual!), like a back rub, temple rub, 3. seemingly innocuous tasks I watch others perform, sometimes washing a window, sorting coins, etc. These are usually more powerful when accompanied by a monotone voice (likely similar to how some people get this response while watching a 'how to' video. So I will post more later. My own view is that, if you are wondering if you have experienced this, I would suggest that you have not. It is a unique sensation that, once felt, is never forgotten. If you have it, you know who you are! Cheers to all.

join