It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Small Self-Sustaining Survival Group

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
I am a 57 yr old female currently taking care of my ill, elderly mother since she was diagnosed with cancer a year ago. Fortunately, when I had to resign from my job to care for her, a home health agency hired me so I could receive 34 hours weekly - to care for mom. This has been a God send because, for several months - until they could hire me, we could not afford food, medication, and basic essentials and we had to ask for help from food banks, churches, etc. NEVER had to do that before! At least now.....I can pay the utilities, buy the food we need, and medicine mom needs. Thank you, Lord!!

We are making it month to month, however it is, totally, impossible to save any $$ or really try to stock up on things should the SHTF. Now - bare in mind that I am NOT complaining here! I am just extremely concerned should our economy fail...or some major disaster should strike the US (which I really think will happen in the near future).

Mother may not survive the entire year. Hopefully she will, but that is in God's hands. After a Whipple Procedure last July, they think her cancer is back. However, she refuses to go the chemo/radiation route. I support her in this 100%.

Now to the root of my problem.......

We live in a hellhole called Lubbock, TX. I say hellhole because of the lack of rain, very flat land, and the, almost, constant blowing dust issue. I have lived all over the US and can, honestly, say that Lubbock is the very least favorite of all the other places I have been! LOL

Needless to say, I do NOT trust our government and am extremely tired of their constant involvement in my life. I could go into more detail, however, I will save that for more private conversations as the government, probably, already has me on one of their so called lists - if you know what I mean! Anyway....you could visit my website (in my profile) and learn more about how I think about things.

My dilemma is that I want to go some place, as safe as possible (in case of natural disaster), with other like minded people. Not ALOT of people, but a small group looking to go off the grid and become self-sufficent - living off the land.

I am looking for a group of people willing to take me on and allow me to live there while working for the group in whatever way is needed. I am a very strong (emotionally, physically, spiritually) person who has been places alot of people could never imagine and a quick study at most things. I want to learn basic survival skills, farming skills, living off the land type skills, and protection skills. Though I do not currently own a gun, I have been a fairly good shot when I have gone out shooting with others.

I lived the last 20 years working in mental health, as a counselor. However, prior (and the last few years) to that I have worked in a number of areas - included, but not limited to - large equipment operator, truck driver, cement hauler, steel mill, stone quarry, self taught computer skills, and caretaker of 3 different family members over the last 10 years. I believe I have alot to offer any group! But I desire to learn much more!!

I am REALLY interested in the mountains in NM. They are, fairly, close (4-5 hour drive) and seem like a good location should the SHTF. I am prepared to, totally, withdraw from society and assist a group of people who are like minded and want to become self-sufficent. This is my dream and I will begin when my mother is no longer on this earth - which may be fairly soon.

Any suggestions?? Anyone wanting to start a small self-sufficent, off the grid group?? Or, does anyone have a group that would consider another member??

Thank you for listening!! ALL comments, suggestions appreciated!! God Bless!!!

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Wow my wishes for luck to come your way and blessings to your mom on her journey. I hope someone answers your calling. You speak truth in what you say regarding the forthcoming future. Bad times around the corner for everyone. Here in Australia isnt as bad as over there but thanks to your government screwing with the world we all will pay for it. Good luck !!!

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Lubbock, Texas ,Home of the Lubbock lights mass UFO sighting in 1951 .Nothing relevant to add, all the best for your future.

edit on 29-5-2011 by 12voltz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Wish I could help but i am in same boat. Got a small BoB and hope when it starts my plans come to fruition. Wish you well and lots of love. My mother went through a similar deal she had intestine cancer where the cut it out and chemoed her. but a year later it came back. She started chemo again along with a shot that costs 10 thousand a pop. In the end we just couldn't afford the shots and she would let us put the house up.
Anyways hope someone out there can assist you I am in California and am hoping to make it the 45 miles it will take to make it up the mountain Via car.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by bjsmi2

Thank you for your reply.....and, yes, I know something big is coming!! I plan to sell EVERYTHING but the car and am planning on buying 'camping' supplies. When I get to where I will stay, I will then get rid of the car. Maybe use that $$ to buy a scooter - just something to putt around in.

Right now, it is hard to stock up much of anything. But think I will start buying some seeds, knives, shovel, tent, sleeping bad, etc. Maybe could get 1 item each payday, you know?? Plus alcohol, tobacco - good bargining items. Have already got a 3 gallon and 5 gallon water jugs. But want to buy 2-3 more 3 gallon jugs as they are easier to carry. But, selling all we own - 42" flat screen & 32" flat screen TVs....beds....some furniture, etc...I hope to get $1000-1500 for the whole household. Plus my last check for $550. But that is pretty much all I will have - including anything left in our bank accounts when mother passes and we get really low until next pay check. But I have moved clear across the country with much less many times before!!

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Therian

Yes, cancer is not fun......But all is in God's hands. I am just so glad I am here for mom as I will NEVER place her in a home!!

All we can do is have a plan and get what we can when we can! Hang in there....

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Im so sorry to hear about your mom. I have lost many family and friends due to cancer. Its not fun. I have great sympathy for you and your family. You are truly a dear soul. Do not worry about death as it will happen no matter what, but its best to try and live as long as you can and live a life with no fear. Its good to prepare as well. With fear it is easier to control someone. You and your mom will be taken care of, you will recive whatever is needed at the time. Love is the greatest gift someone can receive and develop. I suggest to use positive affirmations to help get rid of a sickness. For example, say to your self "every day in ever way im getting better and better, im healthy, i have no health issues and im living a life of love, i have the right people in life to help me". You may wish to say what ever you want but it must be positive, that is key. I hope your mom over comes cancer and you both have a healthy and wonderful life. I send love to you all. Take care.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Hi Champagne, very sorry to hear of your Mother's suffering and current predicament. You sound like a person of sound mind and reasoning as well as being a true Patriot.

I'm currently disabled but I used to teach survival skills and would be happy to share what I know with you and can recommend some good books on the subject if you would like.
I am fortunate enough to have a good "group" to fall back on as most of my family and children live near by. I am putting back provisions in case things get tough in the future. Those who can't really should learn the wild edible plants in their area that they can forage in a pinch. Lubbock Texas would be a difficult area to have to live off the land. My family was originally from TX ( I am a son of Texas) and went to OK during the land rush - all scratch farmers so I know the land. Jackrabbits and prickly pear wouldn't be much of a diet.
Best of luck on finding your group, I hope it works out, You sound like someone who would be a true asset during hard times.
Feel free to u2u me if I can be of assistance concerning survival skills.

Best of luck,
ATA

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
It is our Burdens that can reveal our Blessings to us all! Please take some small comfort that we are all where we need to be at any given time; if we trust in that and put Faith behind the reasoning of Spirit within the workings of our Life.

You could find a group and still not be any better off, and perhaps worse for that matter, as "survival" can often start within. Many survivors of some horrific circumstances have said time and time again that they did not give up; they survived because they "willed" themselves to, not because they were more prepared than anyone else.

One of the most comforting things that I have finally come to realize is that when I reach out to a Higher Power for help, I am answered by my "Higher Self". That being so, I realize now that my Higher Self is not limited to the linear structure of this Physical Plane of existence and so logically it is me in a different place and timelessness. So in essence, regardless of what happens in this World, in the next I have already made it to Heaven! To me, this is very comforting and even if I am deluding myself in the interim, I am surviving!

I am sending you the wish that everything you need and want are provided, and that all who encompass your World are made safe. May abundance be your friend!

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by unknown32

Thanks for your kind response!! As a former counselor in the mental health field, I understand exactly what you are saying! God bless.....

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Hi Champagne, very sorry to hear of your Mother's suffering and current predicament. You sound like a person of sound mind and reasoning as well as being a true Patriot.

I'm currently disabled but I used to teach survival skills and would be happy to share what I know with you and can recommend some good books on the subject if you would like.
I am fortunate enough to have a good "group" to fall back on as most of my family and children live near by. I am putting back provisions in case things get tough in the future. Those who can't really should learn the wild edible plants in their area that they can forage in a pinch. Lubbock Texas would be a difficult area to have to live off the land. My family was originally from TX ( I am a son of Texas) and went to OK during the land rush - all scratch farmers so I know the land. Jackrabbits and prickly pear wouldn't be much of a diet.
Best of luck on finding your group, I hope it works out, You sound like someone who would be a true asset during hard times.
Feel free to u2u me if I can be of assistance concerning survival skills.

Thank you so much for the offer to help teach me things I will need to know. I will, definitely be contacting you via u2u!!

Double thanks for the bolded comment!!! Sometimes I really wonder as most of my family, besides Mom, think I am alittle too much into talking negatively about our government and all that is going on and going to happen!! LOL

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
So............THAT is it?!?!?!??

No one around ATS has, or knows of, a group that is preparing for TSTHTF?? I am surprised by the lack of replies.

Know what?? I will do what I can to make sure that, when mother has passed, I will find someplace to go to prepare for whatever is coming. If I have to do it ALONE, I will as I have done this for most of my life anyway...I have NO fear, just thought that some on ATS could give some insight and suggestions for areas in the New Mexico mountains - I am looking at small towns in these mountains where I can go and begin my new life.

No input??? That is about the story of my life......and it has ZNEVER stopped me before!!

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Champagne

To the OP I am truly sorry for you mother and for you to step up and care for her. I have not heard of any groups like that yet but if you want to start preparing for when SHTF I have started my own garden and what extra fruits and veg I have left I try to can and preserve it's a good way to stock pile and it could be very low cost.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I grew up in north central New Mexico
born and raised on the banks of the Rio Puerco...
the headwaters are up in the Nacimiento Mountains... that's just west of Los Alamos...
great hunting and fishing up there... that's part of the Rocky Mountain chain... High Country...

you don't want to just show up there out of the blue... the folks who live there are very clannish... don't trust outsiders... Helps to speak Spanish and Navajo... oh they speak English just fine but that too marks you as an outsider...

Yeah you need to hook up with a local if that's where you want to go...

new topics

top topics

join