It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Brutality, Coming Soon To A Home Near You !!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Alien Abduct

Just from a quick search, there are somewhere between 800 thousand and one million cops in the US. That's state and local. Of that, of what percentage would you say are bad? I would suggest, less than ten percent. There is not a career anywhere with that number of employees that do not have bad apples. One is too many you say? I agree. But really, that is just not going to happen since man is basically evil in general. The only thing that lies between a good cop and a bad cop, or a good person and a bad person is one bad decision.
When you buy a carton of eggs and there is one in that is cracked you don't throw the other eleven in the trash.
It's time for ATS'ers to get a hobby besides "cop bashing". It's old, it's become boring.
Seeashrink

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Great post. I have to say I feel the same way you do. We had better start making sure the checks and balances of the police force in this country are enforced. Unfortuantely, the DOJ is just as corrupt as the police.

The common denominator to most of these cases.....The DOJ Declines to Prosecute.

When there are very little or no repercussions to bad behavior it doesn't stop. The actions, or non-action, of the DOJ are continuing and promoting this behavior as far as I'm concerned.

And to further promote bad behavior, it is now okay for the police to tread on our Constitutional rights. When you can't prove something, you become defenseless.

The sad things is that some of these cases of brutality are spurred by verbal attacks. Since when does a person in power, who is legally able to use deadly weapons, feel they have a right to put their hands on someone because they don't like what they hear?

Oh the scales of Injustice.....

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

So if we all 'just do what we are told' it will be ok.

Ahhh yes, good old american freedom.

Seems to work for 99% of the people. It is the people that don't do as they are told that takes freedoms away from the rest of us. The more idiots that want to be uncivilized the more ammunition the government has to keep pasing new more restrictive laws. For every law passed there was some idiot that caused that law to be made and now the rest of us have to follow to. This is not a "sheeple" debate either. This is common decency and civility.

What exactly would the point be for not following an officers demands? They don't just randomly pull people aside like the TSA does. They have to have probable cause. Something you clearly seem to not understand. I find it funny 99% of he population have zero issues with the poilce but yet the 1% is always innocent.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaydeePNW

So if we all 'just do what we are told' it will be ok.

Ahhh yes, good old american freedom.

Seems to work for 99% of the people. It is the people that don't do as they are told that takes freedoms away from the rest of us. The more idiots that want to be uncivilized the more ammunition the government has to keep pasing new more restrictive laws. For every law passed there was some idiot that caused that law to be made and now the rest of us have to follow to. This is not a "sheeple" debate either. This is common decency and civility.

What exactly would the point be for not following an officers demands? They don't just randomly pull people aside like the TSA does. They have to have probable cause. Something you clearly seem to not understand. I find it funny 99% of he population have zero issues with the poilce but yet the 1% is always innocent.

Really? So not doing as I am told, regardless of circumstance, makes me an idiot? Not doing what I am told, by someone who has not right to tell me what to do, makes it my fault?

I seem to be going to this Franklin quote a lot these days:

""He who gives up freedom for safety deserves neither."

Apparently, as a country, we will gladly give up freedom for safety. And that is just sad. Our forefathers would roll over in their graves.

A cop does NOT have to have probable cause to stop you. YOU obviously do not understand. In fact, there is a thread going on about this right now. Reasonable suspicion and Terry stops do not require probable cause.

Nice try though.

The majority of tyranny and genocide in recent history has taken place because people just did what they were told.
edit on 29-5-2011 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

1) No need for the name calling, especially when you are the one who is wrong. Probable cause IS NOT required to make a stop.

2)Probable cause does not give a cop the right to "do what they do". No matter the circumstances, cops have rules, just like everyone else.

3)I still do not have to comply. I have the right to remain silent at all times.

4)Again, the ad hom, name calling and insults are uncalled for, and a sign of someone with a low IQ. You can do better.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

1) No need for the name calling, especially when you are the one who is wrong. Probable cause IS NOT required to make a stop.

2)Probable cause does not give a cop the right to "do what they do". No matter the circumstances, cops have rules, just like everyone else.

3)I still do not have to comply. I have the right to remain silent at all times.

4)Again, the ad hom, name calling and insults are uncalled for, and a sign of someone with a low IQ. You can do better.

I didn't call anyone a name. I implied you are making yourself look like an idiot which is my opinon. I didn't call you an idiot. I said idiots are the reason we have so many stupid laws we have to follow. You are indeed wrong as probable cause is more than sufficiant. Look up the laws yourself. You are stateing that you are above the law which is what people seem to be claiming of the police. Seems like hypocrisy to me.

Yes you have the right to be silent but to what end? If you did nothing wrong why be silent? How is being silent in your best intresst unless you did something against the law? In that case you are not complying by being silent.

It sounds to me like you want to be above the law. You are right cops do have rules to follow and when they are questioned on if they followed the rules they have to get independant investigations on what happened. Why is it that most people that comply with the police never get charged or are not even detained? Why is it that most law abiding citizens have no issues with the police? Why is only a few that seem to have had negative experience or simply don't like authority seem to have issues?

If everyone had civility and common decency we would not need police however that clearly isn't the case,

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I'm scared to comment now as I got 2 warning on just 1 post yesterday...But, I will comment anyway..If I get another warning, so be it...Cops need to be all castrated as a requirement of becoming a police officer...If I were their captain I would make them all wear Pink To-To also and lace panties.. Thugs, and rough cops give the decent ones a bad name..Why don't the goods ones get these thug cops out of their unit? Don't cover this up like you would do a piece of excrement....Expose it and let the sewage dept. get rid of them.....

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I did forget about "Reasonable suspicion". I lumped that in with "probable cause". However my view doesn't change.

In the criminal arena probable cause is important in two respects. First, police must possess probable cause before they may search a person or a person's property, and they must possess it before they may arrest a person. Second, in most criminal cases the court must find that probable cause exists to believe that the defendant committed the crime before the defendant may be prosecuted.

There are some exceptions to these general rules. Police may briefly detain and conduct a limited search of a person in a public place if they have a reasonable suspicion that the person has committed a crime. Reasonable suspicion is a level of belief that is less than probable cause. A police officer possesses reasonable suspicion if he has enough knowledge to lead a reasonably cautious person to believe that criminal activity is occurring and that the individual played some part in it. In practice this requirement means that an officer need not possess the measure of knowledge that constitutes probable cause to Stop and Frisk a person in a public place. In any case, an officer may not arrest a person until the officer possesses probable cause to believe that the person has committed a crime.

Source

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jaydeePNW

"Yes you have the right to be silent but to what end? If you did nothing wrong why be silent? How is being silent in your best intresst unless you did something against the law? In that case you are not complying by being silent. "

So according to your interpretation of the law a person who chooses to exercise his constitutional right to be silent is not compliant? To whatever YOUR idea of the law is? Wow, that explains a lot. Are police even required to know the basic laws? Seems not.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

JaydeePNW, you should NEVER speak to the police.
You need to watch this:
YouTube, Don't talk to cops.

Could someone please imbed this for me? I'm on an IPad presently.

I find your comments extremely naive. I deal with the police on a regular basis and as a law abiding person I have found the majority of them to be nothing but power drunk bullies.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Look, by law, I don't need to talk to you. Thats what judges are for. Name rank and serial number (ssn ) is all you get .By law that's all you can ask. Read the Constitution. If a local law enforcement officer (tax collector) is too stupid to understand laws, use common sense, and realize that they have less of a grasp of laws than the people they are "policing", they shouldnt be on the job. A badge does not make one a legal expert. Let alone an arbiter of truth.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by redrose123

There is a treasure trove in these videos. You can just keep going by watching the ones on the bottom of these. Thank you for posting them. To me anyone who defends the cops are either one of them or has been fortunte enough to have not been harrassed by them. I am lucky myself but not so blind that I don't see what is going on around me. I found one of the most disturbing was the boy who fell off the bridge onto concrete road below. He recieved a broken back and several severe injuries. When the police arrived they tased him 19 times because he wouldn't get up and was incoherent. Their excuse he wouldn't follow directions. His back surgery had to be postponed for 2 days due to other physical damage done to him by all the tasing. Can you imagine what that poor boy went through. I keep hearing oh the poor cops, Nobody is making them do any of this but themselves. It is a job like any other job in this country. When are people going to get it in their heads THEY LIKE IT OR THEY WOULDN"T BE DOING IT. Everytime someone upholds this type of behavior are showing they are animals too.

Most of us are not upholding this type of behavior , and there are many many videos of horrendous actions done by the police. There is no denying that many need to get off the force,and fast

But how many good things have they done as well??? And how many times have they been brutalized and murdered,just for answering the call of duty.

I don't care if you think I suck because I stand up for all the GOOD they do , because when something goes wrong,and I need help,or need to help someone else..YOU are not going to be there for me...but they hopefully will.

I guess it would be better if we had no police at all? do you want to try out that scenario for a few months,and see what happens??
edit on 29-5-2011 by gabby2011 because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-5-2011 by gabby2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to jaydeePNW

1)This is the last time I will let you take me off topic. Saying someone is making themself look like an idiot, and telling them to pull their head out, is against the TOC, and is unnecessary. If you cannot argue your point without doing it, you obviously have no point.

2)I never said probable cause wasnt sufficient to make a stop. I said it wasnt necessary to make a stop. And its not. You were wrong-quit trying to justify it.

3)I have the right to be silent, and the right not to comply. The reasoning is irrelevant-IT IS MY RIGHT.

4)On the contrary, I live well within the law. I want to make it clear that COPS are not outside the law.

5)If you think only a few have had negative experiences with cops, I want to live where you do. That is simply a lie.

6)If everyone was civil and decent, there would be no crime. So you are right, there would be no need for cops. But there IS crime. If I am living civilly and decently, why should I have to forfeit my right to privacy because of the few that dont?

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
here at ats if anyones wants to make a change
make a list of the corrupts name and addresses

i bet those who are willing to act will bring change quickly if those names and addresses are posted for those who are willing to act

i know personally im sick of seeing these situations and no one does anything about them, we know who these people are committing these acts, i say we make them disappear from this planet

or we can just keep having threads about them and keep complaining and achieving nothing

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
i say this to people whos only reply in these threads are that cops do good too

"cops do good things too"

YEA?!

so did hitler

he wouldnt have gained as much control and popularity in his country which allowed him to come to power without doing SOME GOOD

so why dont you people leave these threads, stop kissing cops asses online and go praise hitler with your same logic

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Problem is "most jobs" if you screw up, you get reprimanded by you boss, you come up short a little money, at worst some equiment gets brokens, but it's all "material things.

If a cop makes a mistake lives are on the line. Irreplacable. BIG difference.

Showing 10 clips of someone screwing up at work, while shocking, when you think about it, the average worker screws up probably everyday. But lives are not on the line.

I'm not defending these cops in these videos, they clearly screwed up, but remeber their job is MUCH different, and screwing up has terrible consequences.

For every video of a cop messing up. There's probably hundreds, where I say. Lord where do these guys get thier patience from. With an angry drunk ect, and I think, man, I would have beat the piss out of that Drunk who was coming at me, and being athreat ect, ect.

I dunno if I'm making my point clear. It's just that when your job deals in life and death situations. Everything is under a HUGE magnifying glass.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Nola213

"For every video of a cop messing up. There's probably hundreds, where I say. Lord where do these guys get thier patience from. With an angry drunk ect, and I think, man, I would have beat the piss out of that Drunk who was coming at me, and being athreat ect, ect.

I dunno if I'm making my point clear. It's just that when your job deals in life and death situations. Everything is under a HUGE magnifying glass.:"

All the more reason to act accordingly, within the law,. No need to go overboard and pretend to to know laws and administer justice as seen fit.
Wow, what is so hard to understand that police must follow the law also? This is the crux of the matter ! They want to (and get) away with acting above the laws (oh, that they swore to uphold, so their vows mean nothing) while citizens who pay them are to be abused. Do I have this correct?

edit on 5/29/11 by scooterstrats because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
wow those are some crazy vids. Alot of the police force seem to think they make their own rules. We as a people need to stand up for ourselves. Stop taking this abuse by these thugs.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

reply to jaydeePNW

1)This is the last time I will let you take me off topic. Saying someone is making themself look like an idiot, and telling them to pull their head out, is against the TOC, and is unnecessary. If you cannot argue your point without doing it, you obviously have no point.

2)I never said probable cause wasnt sufficient to make a stop. I said it wasnt necessary to make a stop. And its not. You were wrong-quit trying to justify it.

3)I have the right to be silent, and the right not to comply. The reasoning is irrelevant-IT IS MY RIGHT.

4)On the contrary, I live well within the law. I want to make it clear that COPS are not outside the law.

5)If you think only a few have had negative experiences with cops, I want to live where you do. That is simply a lie.

6)If everyone was civil and decent, there would be no crime. So you are right, there would be no need for cops. But there IS crime. If I am living civilly and decently, why should I have to forfeit my right to privacy because of the few that dont?

1) So I can't have an opinion and share it? That is what you are saying. I agree on the head up ass thing that was out of line I should have worded it better, sorry. However I do believe you are making yourself look like an idiot and I have no intention of censoring that. Do I believe you are an idiot? No, however how you state things isn't very well put. I may have the same problem here myself.

2) I covered that in a post above however it is semantics really.

3) What is your definition of not complying? Mine is resisting arrest. If a cop comes up to you with no intention of detaining or arresting and you refuse to give them any information then fine, however I have no idea why you wouldn't if you had nothing to hide. If they have probable cause to arrest you then not complying with their arrest is unlawful. I am not sure what your issue is. I must have missed it. You can be silent all you want but you sill have to comply with the police.

4) Yes, I agree. Thats why there is a internal affairs division. Bad cops do get busted and fired and even go to jail themselfs. They also get reprimanded. Most people don't see that side of it I guess. Easier to cry foul when every anti-cop idiot puts up a youtube vid of misconduct. Here where I live a guy got shot by a cop and it took three independant reviews, one civilian, before the cop was freed from charges.

5) Very few people I know have any issues with the law enforcment. There are 500,000 people in this area, if more than a tiny percentage had issues things would be more obvious. It isn't. People may gripe about it but when they have to call 911 the cops are their best friends. Funny how that works.

6) I have no clue what you are on about I guess. How exactly are you giving up any rights to privacy? Maybe I am arguing the wrong issue.

I am 34 years old and had to deal with the police 5 times that I can remember and not one of those times did I have a problem with how they conducted themselfs.

If you guys want to know how well USA police handle themselfs then go look at videos (not on yourtube) of police in many 3rd world countries. They just shoot you in the street no questions asked. You have it very damn good in this country and it is people that take advantage of that that ruins it for the rest of us. Can the police do better? Sure, but is it to much to ask that criminals do less crime?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join