It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You are insignificant.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
(Some of my math may be wrong, but this is just hypothetical and I was bored and found something to occupy me for a while, so don't criticize me too much.)

Drake's Equation suggests there are a possible 10 intelligent civilizations in our galaxy. Hypothetically assuming every galaxy will have the same amount, there is a total of 2,000,000,000,000 possible civilizations in the entire universe. Science suggests the universe has been around for about 18 billion years, and recognizable humans for 2.2 million. Over 2.2 million years we have amassed a population of 7 billion people, and other life forms could have existed 18 billion years ago and potentially have a population of 57,272,727,272,727 in their species. So that is just for one super-old civilization, and if there is a possible 2,000,000,000,000 civilizations with that population, there is a potential 140,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 intelligent life forms in the known universe. You are insignificant.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by typwar

you are correct, but you should have written "we" instead of "you" though

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I sure hope I am.
Because the natives on this planet are getting annoying.
This dirt ball better not be the only thing going on in this universe.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnotherYOU
reply to post by typwar

Yeah you are right. I actually did this as a Facebook note to tell people to stop posting their lives on Facebook because it really bugs me. Everything is insignificant I guess.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
But how many times has a single person affected the course of humanity on our planet?
There's Jesus, Einstein, and many, many more.
And if there's a God, perhaps we are all significant to him, in which case aren't we all significant?
But that last possiblity is besides the point.

To the OP, just because you are insignificant doesn't mean all people are insignificant.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by typwar

it is.

but don't loose the will to live regardless of how insignificant it is.

theres a remote chance that you, i or them didn't end up in this existence just by chance.

death is promissed, so live while you are able to.

Post Scriptum: the best way to not bother about what people write on facebook is not reading it.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by typwar

Originally posted by AnotherYOU
reply to post by typwar

Yeah you are right. I actually did this as a Facebook note to tell people to stop posting their lives on Facebook because it really bugs me. Everything is insignificant I guess.

Lol you're half right. Everything on facebook is insignificant. There's not doubt about that.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
If there are races that are millions of years more advanced then us then they probably look at us earthlings and what we consider advanced technology as nothing more then the primitive tinkering of the backwood hicks of the universe.

edit on 29-5-2011 by ELahrairah because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by typwar

Dear typar,

Math is amusing. I play tournament poker, one of the best in the game is Barry Greenstien, all his tournament winnings go to charity, all. He said once after a bad beat that math is idiotic. Lets start with the simplest thing in the universe, zero. Can an absolute zero exist? The answer is no because you exist. You negate the possibility of absolute zero. This is fun. Now if you exist and you believe X number of intelligent beings exist then we can all matter because we all negate zero. Anyone who defeats the concept of their being an absolute zero universe of non-existence matters. The more the merrier, or as God directed us, "Go forth and multiply".

Do people matter less because their are more of them? How does the value of one become less than one because there are two, one is still one? I guess I don't get how the math proves your point, but, I failed algebra, the only class I ever failed. How do you value a life? Not by the effects it has on others hearts? Perhaps by wealth, that is a number. So many numbers in the world.

On the one hand I read physicists who say were don't matter because we are just mechanical, on the other hand I hear that we don't matter at all because there are so many sentient beings that one or two don't matter. I matter and you matter, every sentient being matters because we are the ones that experience this universe, without us, it doesn't serve a useful purpose. Be well. Nice game.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

that was a nice post

i say we should all be humanists by day and nihilists by night.
better yet, we should be all that we possibly can conceive we want to be.

even if its nothing.

the nothingness concept of buddism applies here

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   

That was a great post, and it made me realize that under the OPs style of thinking, life itself is insignificant.

If one life is less significant because there are two, then one life is completely insignificant with trillions and trillions. No one life is more significant the the next, so if one life is insignificant, then all life is insignificant.

I don't believe that life is insignificant, so I believe the OP is wrong.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
One is insignificant, or all is equally significant.

Half empty, or half full.

And so on...

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by AnotherYOU

Dear AnotherYOU,

Thank you and you got it.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by scojak

Everyone is significant, but also insignificant. I think AQuestion helped clear that up well.
edit on 29-5-2011 by typwar because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by scojak

That was a great post, and it made me realize that under the OPs style of thinking, life itself is insignificant.

If one life is less significant because there are two, then one life is completely insignificant with trillions and trillions. No one life is more significant the the next, so if one life is insignificant, then all life is insignificant.

I don't believe that life is insignificant, so I believe the OP is wrong.

Dear scojak,

You got it also, do you think any life is meaningless or do we all matter? When I see a newborn I don't see it as insignificant, I see it as unlimited possibilities waiting to define itself. That is meaninful because only we create meaning to the universe, it has none on its own. Be well.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by typwar

Dear typwar,

What a pleasant answer, be well.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by typwar

concieving the concept of insignificance is making it significant.

i think the image of a dog chasing his own tail pretty much sumarizes this whole existence.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
this person who fomulated this equation is. No background information provided, no proof.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by typwar

Science actually hypothesizes that the universe has been around for 13.7 billion years.
And we have not amassed 7 billion people over 2.2 million years. We have 7 billion people CURRENTLY on our planet right this second. Who knows how many we've had all together, counting all the dead people.
Besides those 2 points, it's still interesting to think how small we are on a large scale

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Warpthal
this person who fomulated this equation is. No background information provided, no proof.

actually i think your scripted not to say cliche answer pretty much provided all the evidence we needed in this thread.

thank you, come again.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join