It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State Trooper drops charges someone flipping the bird

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

State Trooper drops charges someone flipping the bird

www.thedenverchannel.com

JEFFERSON COUNTY, Colo. -- The Colorado State Patrol says it is dropping the case against a 35-year-old man who was ticketed after flipping off a state trooper with a finger gesture.
The surprise announcement was made in a news release issued late Friday afternoon.
"After reviewing the facts of the case, this incident does not support probable cause to sustain the charge of harassment as such actions under these circumstances are protected free speech," a release stated. "The Colorado State Patrol has requested the dismissal of the charge with the First Judicial District. The District Att
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Just amazing state trooper trying to waste more tax dollars cause he was sad someone flipped him off hope he gets fired. I cant believe this its not harrasment what a baby I cant wait for you have to say on this subject what a complete moron i bet his chief pissed him self cause of this. Im just at awe of what this trooper tried to do he should get reprimanded in this.

www.thedenverchannel.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I flip off cops whenever I can.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Flipping the bird is childish IMO.

Why not just walk up to a cop and verbally tell them how you feel?

With that said, happy the guy got off and do think the cops should be punished for making such a big deal out of nothing.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I agree the action is childish and crass. However it has been decided by the US Supreme Court as protected free speech. The suspect should refuse to have the charges dropped and move for a directed verdict of acquittal while he's suing the officer and his employer. See www.chiprowe.com... and my best,

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ajniss

i got "busted" for the same thing... here in australia.
charge = "driving with arm out of vehicle"...

= $200- fine
+ 3 demerit points...

damn

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

That makes you nothing but a jackass. Proud? Only a jackass would be.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by shaneR
reply to post by ajniss

= $200- fine
+ 3 demerit points...

damn

Sorry, but that is just damn funny. xD

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ajniss

We were taught in the Academy that people can make any gestures at you that they want. They can also tell you anything they want to, as long as it is not an obvious threat (i.e. I am going to kick your ass. Your family will be sorry, etc.). We were taught to let it go like water off a duck's back.

It is amazing to see how many cops are apparently not taught this in the Academy.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
reply to post by ajniss

We were taught in the Academy that people can make any gestures at you that they want. They can also tell you anything they want to, as long as it is not an obvious threat (i.e. I am going to kick your ass. Your family will be sorry, etc.). We were taught to let it go like water off a duck's back.

It is amazing to see how many cops are apparently not taught this in the Academy.
You are correct. (Texas) I was also taught that a peace officer could NOT be offended. It is amazing how many officers would rather escalate a situation than de-escalate a situation by ignoring it.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
interestingly enough one night when i was very bored i looked up the origin of the bird ie the 1 finger salute.

if memory serves me right it was between the english and french and archers of the crossbow variety.

the middle finger was the trigger finger needed to shoot.

i guess whenever they got into close vicinity of each other and to instigate the raised their middle fingers in defiance since archers were one of the most hated on the battlefield.

fast forward to modern day society the conotations the middle finger has now is well we all know dont really have to say it.

that said giving someone the bird is freedom of expression guaranteed by the constitution and it doesnt qualify as hate speech.

my 1 finger salute is reserved to those who most screw over the people of this country that is the president and congress.

cops are low on my list of flipping off.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
how about pointing your finger gun at police and fire the imaginary bullet.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Reply to post by bigspud

That is considered a threat to any normal person

Flipping the bird is not considered a threat to any normal person.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by ajniss

The city I sued to work for had this statute as well.. Why is beyond me... Cant say I ever used it nor have I seen any other offidcers use it.

We cant have our peace disturbed, and the Suprme Court has ruled we are suppose to have a thicker skin because of the nature of our jobs.

How this law has not been thrown out is another mystery.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
If some punk flipped me off id punch them in the face a couple times, see if that didnt help there attitude. Thats what the cop should have done, took out his nightstick and laid open that guys head. When you flip someone off your challenging them, its sign language for calling someone out. If your letting your alligator mouth overload your jaybird a$$ then you deserve to get the beat down.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
Flipping the bird is childish IMO.

Why not just walk up to a cop and verbally tell them how you feel?

With that said, happy the guy got off and do think the cops should be punished for making such a big deal out of nothing.

Have you watched a few videos of what happens when you actually make yourself accessible to police? If you want to walk up and run your mouth to a cop, feel free. I will be more than happy to watch your video on Youtube as you get tased and beaten. As for me, I will just flip them off and keep on moving.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Buying a new care in my house is stressful. The wife and I do not handle it well. About 12 years ago i was test driving a Mitsubishi Galant, and was driving up a 1 way street back towards the dealership.

All of a sudden there is a big Ford Bronco (OJ type truck) driving towards me in reverse. I almost hit him before i swerved. And, since i was already pissed from the "car buying arguments" with the wife, i just laid on the horn and struck my finger out the window.

A few seconds later this Bronco is driving like a maniac trying to get me to pull over. At this point, I am only too happy to pull over, as this guy has poked me with a stick for the last time.

When i do, an older hispanic man gets out and says, "You know who i am? I should arrest you on the spot!" He then shows a badge that he is a deputy. He was off duty, wearing his plain clothes and driving his own car. I said, "Do it. After i stomp a mudhole into you, and your buddies take me to jail, we will talk about your unsafe and illegal driving."

We exchanged words for a few minutes before he retreated and took off. But over the next few years (while i owned the car i test drove on that day) i was pulled over 2-3 times a week. Since i got rid of that car i have been pulled over once (about 10 years).

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I was driving to work early one morning a couple of years ago and was cut off by a black GMC SUV. I caught up to the guy and flipped him the bird. A little further down the road I see flashing lights in my rear view mirror. I pull over and it is the SUV that cut me off. The driver gets out and comes to m,y window and flashes a badge at me. He is a Metro Toronto Police detective. He then tells me he wants my license, insurance and ownership papers for flipping him the finger. (!?!) I do not suffer having my rights trampled lightly. I got out and stood p to my full 6'2" 230 lbs and he could see we were both about the same size. I told him I had no intention of producing my paperwork and that he was abusing his office as a law enforcement officer who works for ME the taxpayer. He threatened to call back up and I told him go ahead because he wasn't going to do anything to me on his own. After a little more discussion at the back of my car (Cadillac CTS) we both cooled down and he apologised for cutting me off.
The moral of this story is, if you don't know your rights, you give them up by default. When I got back in my car, my co worker who was driving with me was about as low in the passenger seat as he could get and said he was just waiting to hear a shot and wondering about how he would get to work. LOL

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

A few seconds later this Bronco is driving like a maniac trying to get me to pull over.

Jeez if that aint Texas drivers 100% I dont know what is.

I have been in MANY states, and I swear Texans all drive like maniacs. Not just the in-a-hurry and tailgating, kinda maniac, but the slam-into-your-rear-at 100-mph, and everyday-there-is-a-vehicle-flipped-over-on-its-roof-in-the-middle-of-the-highways kinda manics. Every week I saw a car overturned on the highways and serious pile-ups in that state. EVERY WEEK!!! And my daily travels were VERY, VERY short distances to and from work!! So it must happen every freakin hour there!!

I truly think chimps make better drivers than what I have seen in texas everyday for several years. Must be something in the water seriously...
edit on 29-5-2011 by pplrnuts because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by shaneR
reply to post by ajniss

= $200- fine
+ 3 demerit points...

damn

Wait, you all cannot drive with your arm out the window? In the summer I love nothing more than driving with the windows down and my arm partly hanging out of the window. That is a crappy law.

As for the OP I agree with the posters above it is childish and crass. I do not think that is a ticket/fine able offence though. If it offends someone they can get over it. It is not like it is a long lasting and devastating offence. I try to not use such means of expression myself, but sometimes (okay really more often than not) my temper gets the better of me. It is when I am upset enough to curse that things are bad.

Raist

<<   2 >>

join