It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Satellite Experts - Please Help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Yet another post by myself in this section...

I was out in the pipeline behind our house, aptly named the "field." I looked directly up and noticed a blue star moving. It would light up blue for 3 second then fade from sight for 5 seconds, and continue on. I thought I was just the usual satellite. It was as bright as the stars in the big dipper, that being my only reference I can think of. So I continued smoking my cigarette.

I look up again a few seconds later and see an orange / yellow light. This time the light was continuously illuminated. It would stay yellow for about 5 seconds, then drastically dim to a lesser yellow for 5 seconds, and so on.

Now I realize this is in the UFO section, but I'm still convinced I saw satellites, though seeing that second one so soon after the first has diminished that assumptions legitimacy. This is partly due to the facts that the first one traveled East and the next traveled West, and that they were different colors, and orderly changed luminosity.

I am familiar with n2yo.com, so I created an account to try to find which one of those suckers I was seeing. Lo and behold, there are thousands - shoulda saw that coming.

So my question for you satellite experts is this: Which two satellites were visible over Fairfax, VA tonight at around 9:30 p.m. and is it normal to see two at roughly the same time, traveling in virtually the same orbit, going opposite directions, with varying luminosities and changing colors?

I would REALLY appreciate some help here. I am very puzzled, and would like to know more about this subject.

edit on 28-5-2011 by SubPop79 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
If you are unsure, there are sites you can go to, to find out by plugging in your location, date/time of sighting:

Satellites, ISS:
Heaven's Above
NASA - Human Space Flight

Stars, planets:
Stellarium

There are more that I for some reason do not have bookmarked...im sure someone will come along and add to the list

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Ok, so according to HSF it was neither the Shuttle nor the ISS. Step one complete.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by SubPop79

...and is it normal to see two at roughly the same time, traveling in virtually the same orbit, going opposite directions, with varying luminosities and changing colors?

Yes, it is possible and fairly common to see several satellites at once. I have seen three or four at a time. Going in opposite directions is normal. Varying luminosity is normal. The only thing I'm not sure about is changing colors. I've never seen one do that in all my years of satellite watching. Hopefully someone else can give you a definite answer on that part of the question.

edit on 5/29/2011 by gemineye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Another thing to consider is if the objects your seeing are "Active" payloads, or "In-active or Dead" payloads. A lot of satellites that "die" or "go to sleep" loose the ability to remain "stable" and begin to tumble. The tumbling created the illusion of differing luminosity. There is just so much junk up there anyway! but at about 9:30 PM on the East coast, you should be able to see a lot of if the skies are relatively clear. Enjoy!

top topics

join