It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you getting what you pay for at the pump.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
maybe some ats'rs, could run an experiment. i recently payed at the pump with a debit card. while authorizing the gas, if gives you the option of selecting how much gas you want authorized.

i chose $10. every time you pre select an amount i notice that the pump slows down to a trickle with about 50-80 cents left to pump. and then it preceeds to automatically pump a ridiculously low rate. it could take as much as minute just to stop the pump and reach your limit.

on this occasion, the pump was pumping so slow, i don't think even gasoline was coming out. i think it was all air. i could hear it, it sounding like all that was coming out was gasoline vapor. i think i was ripped off a $1.

now it makes me wonder if you are actually getting a full gallon of gas, or are they ripping you off a few litres at the end.

it wouldn't surprise me, unless you actually go to a pump with a scientific container with accurate measurements, you'll never know. maybe someone can go out a double check this.

the red gallon drums aren't accurate enough. i think all these little rip offs add millions and millions in profit to these greedy crook bastards.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Could there have been someone pumping gas on the otherside too? i know when the big tanks get low they slow down ALOT, and then add someone using the pump on the otherside and your talking about a 10 minute wait for $20 bucks worth
edit on 28-5-2011 by Kingbreaker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I can't speculate on your situation, but I have a few tips for filling up.

1. Fill your tank in the morning when it's colder. You get more gas for you're dollar this way.

2. Fill your tank when it's half empty, not almost empty. The less gas that's in the tank, the more room for gas to evaporate or water to evaporate from the gas and cause rust (for older cars). Also, empty tanks put more stress on the fuel pump.

3. Don't fill up at a station if they are putting new gas in. The new gas being pumped in stirs up any particulates in the holding tank and may end up in the gas you put in your tank.

4. Keep your tires pumped to the recommended pressure. Under-inflated tires can lower gas mileage by 0.3 percent for every 1 psi drop in pressure.

join