It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Child Brides Around The World

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
This is a somewhat disturbing, but real account of the marriage issues around the globe concerning "child Brides"

Two of the brides, the sisters Radha and Gora, were 15 and 13, old enough to understand what was happening. The third, their niece Rajani, was 5.

5 years old....Are you Kidding me? this is just plain stupidity.

When Indian girls are married as children, the gauna is supposed to take place after puberty, so Rajani would live for a few more years with her grandparents—and Mr. M had done well to protect this child in the meantime, the villagers said, by marking her publicly as married.

Oh!....well then I guess it's OK....WTF????

Child marriage spans continents, language, religion, caste. In India the girls will typically be attached to boys four or five years older; in Yemen, Afghanistan, and other countries with high early marriage rates, the husbands may be young men or middle-aged widowers or abductors who rape first and claim their victims as wives afterward, as is the practice in certain regions of Ethiopia.

Culture and history or not, I would think common sense should play a large part in what needs to change here. For the love of PB and J....It's 2011.

Their educations will be truncated not only by marriage but also by rural school systems, which may offer a nearby school only through fifth grade; beyond that, there's the daily bus ride to town, amid crowded-in, predatory men.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9e03df82bdcf.jpg[/atsimg]
Unfortunately this is the future for many young girls around the world. Is there any end to this madness???

Thoughts ATS???

source:
ngm.nationalgeographic.com...

edit on 28-5-2011 by neOrevolutionist because: forgot to add link...oops

edit on 28-5-2011 by neOrevolutionist because: added picture

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Welcome to the world of islam, coming soon to a street near you!

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
could you give a link please? sorry but I like actually reading links instead of snippets from links

nevermind you beat me to it right when i posted...thanks
edit on 28-5-2011 by here4awhile because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
just so you know, marriages like these are usually done as part of a type of agreement or deal between the two families for very legitimate reasons and you should refrain from demonizing the families that allow these sorts of arrangements to take place because the truth of the matter is that often times these sorts of arranged marriages can be beneficial to both families and the 'child' brides, as without such an arrangement taking place, they might not have had any other future. honestly its not like they are numb to the notion of child marriages, its pretty radical and i think 98% of adults realize how "effed" up it is. its done less out of tradition and culture and more out of necessity really. You find these things happening a lot in India where farmers will marry off their children at young ages so that the children not only gain a better foundation for development and success in their future but also because they really just need the resources that a marriage provides via endowments such as money, land, animals etc. tbh its not different from a prince being destined to marry a princess of another royal house. the only reason why it seems so shocking when poverty stricken individuals are doing the same is because of the mentality around these types of peoples. Its as if if your in poverty you have weak values and are immune to "normal" human emotions. Lets be real. If you lived under the same conditions as them, you would realize how marrying off your daughter could be the same as divine salvation to a christian. It grants them a safe and secure future and you some food for a while.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
The false prophet Mohammed married a 6 year old girl (Aeisha)

If the top guy in Islam was a pedophile, what does that make his followers?

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by asperetty

I read the article, and they do point out that many of the villagers look the other way as these marriages are technically illegal, but it's so the child can be "protected"

protected from what you may ask ?

from the shame of losing her virginity before marriage or being raped so the rapist can than claim her as a wife.

they also mention many of these marriages are consumated

it's pretty defenseless if you ask me
edit on 28-5-2011 by syrinx high priest because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by asperetty

Very weak excuse.. If they all think it is F-Ed up and only do it for 'protection' why not change the culture. People make their own norms.

I think your explanation is just too convenient, sorry it's a FAIL.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
The Rage I have over this subject burns.

I will judge. And my judgement is NOT kind.

There are entire countries that would be better off if 90% every male over 12 suddenly died at once. It would be a vast improvement. If 50% of the worst women went too that would be dandy.

How sad is that as a statement.

A few people will try to take that as man hating.

I don't hate all men. Just the ones who keep THIS crap going.

I see no way to get rid of these wretched memes that won't die, without killing off the people who continue them on.

ugh.
edit on 2011/5/28 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

top topics

join