It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Adam Kokesh Body Slammed for Dancing at Jefferson Memorial

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by notonsamepage
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Post Removed By Staff

I seem to have touched a nerve...did you not get the responses you were hoping for?

It is quite simple really...we live in a nation of laws...individuals do not have the power to determine if a law is just or not (if you think you do, go re-read the constitution and find where it says this...come back and post it)....and if you break those laws you suffer the consequences. if you want to further your consequences...go ahead and resist arrest...which is also against the law.

Do you think laws should not be enforced? Should I be able to steal from you? Should I be able to kill someone just because I don't like them?

Who are YOU to choose which laws should or should not be enforced???

edit on 5/29/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by stephinrazin
Sadly, the militarization of the police in this country is common.
[]
I really think they believe it is their duty to ensure fear and respect from the population.

Nice line.

I want a tee shirt:

"When did serve and protect become ensure fear and respect?"

Sri Oracle

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Aceofclubs

That only applies if there is suspicion of terrorism. I've followed this to some extent. Photographers get harrassed and arrested all the time. However that does not make it illegal.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

Originally posted by notonsamepage

Post Removed By Staff

I seem to have touched a nerve...did you not get the responses you were hoping for?

It is quite simple really...we live in a nation of laws...individuals do not have the power to determine if a law is just or not (if you think you do, go re-read the constitution and find where it says this...come back and post it)....and if you break those laws you suffer the consequences. if you want to further your consequences...go ahead and resist arrest...which is also against the law.

Do you think laws should not be enforced? Should I be able to steal from you? Should I be able to kill someone just because I don't like them?

Who are YOU to choose which laws should or should not be enforced???

edit on 5/29/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

While I think you are right to an extent. I do think there are unjust laws. There have been lots of unjust laws in the past and sometimes it just takes people to rise up and say no, for the law to go away. Go say what you just said to Rosa Parks. lol

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   

The law is indisputable, perhaps in this case, but the "enforcers" had discretion in how they enforced that law, this could have had an ending that no one would have paid any attention to.

They could have quietly ushered the dancing terrorists outside and respectfully asked them to keep it out there, dance all you want, outside.

No beat down, body slams, choking, knees in backs, handcuffs required, no jail, no drama... Everyone lives happily ever after.

That is the problem here, and a growing problem nationwide, law enforcers seem to be unaware of their discretionary judgement capabilities, and most often opt for the most extreme enforcement possible.

The violence was theirs, not the perpetrators.

Law enforcers everywhere be warned. The people are waking up to their power in numbers, we can all get along, or we can play it rough until you have large scale riots, protests that get ugly and violent and watch the chaos spread EVERYWHERE.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

U.S Park Police....

'Nuff said. "authority" (in their pea brains) gone wild.

Big fish, small pond syndrome.

Discipline/terminate (fire) those officers involved. Unless they can be better trained, and keep their jobs....re-assignment, in the meantime.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

It's going to spread, and I doubt it will be good for any of us when it does.
Something is about to break. You can hear it in people's voices, and read it all over the web.
People are aware, and people are communicating.

The violence against each other - cop and citizen alike, is what needs to stop. Violence begats violence - no matter which side it comes from.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Schkeptick

Originally posted by MrWendal
Actually the cop explains it very well, it just seems no one wants to hear it. He clearly stated that demonstration of any kind, such as dancing, would result in arrest.

The question is not when did dancing become illegal. The questions are, when did dancing become a form a demonstrating? When exactly did demonstrating become illegal?

This is what I was about to post. Any kind of group demonstration is not allowed on public memorials.

The reason being - it could result in damage to a priceless building.

This is NOT about freedom. It's about preservation. You wouldn't be allowed to wipe gravy off your chin with the Shroud of Turin, now would you?

If they had moved 20 feet to the side of the Lincoln Memorial they could have done anything they wanted. Public demonstrations & political activism happens all around these great monuments - just not ON them.

Don't be so over reactive that you forget logic and common sense.

They are my memorials and yours and I will dance if I want to I dont believe I am the most logical person in the world and my common sense at best may be questionable but since when has dancing destroyed a building? I will also go ahead and add that slamming people into the marble floor may also be bad for the marble floor we payed for. A monument is just a big carved rock that is supposed to make people remember, what better way to remember TJ then to practice the same principles that made him a president that made us make him a memorial. Eff the Police!!!!

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

While I think you are right to an extent. I do think there are unjust laws. There have been lots of unjust laws in the past and sometimes it just takes people to rise up and say no, for the law to go away. Go say what you just said to Rosa Parks. lol

Yes...there are unjust laws. But you have to ask...were these people doing this because of how unjust this "no dancing" law is??? Or were they doing it to make a scene, create a video (with a professional camera guy running around in the background), and make the claim of "police state"?

Do you think Rosa Parks was trying to find a law where she could make a scene to try to show the police as "evil nazis"??? Or do you think she was just tired and wanted to sit down...and got arressted because the law actually was unjust??? I don't think Rosa Parks came equipped with a camera crew to get some hits on youtube.

I actually don't think this "no dancing" law is unjust...If I go to the Jefferson Memorial...I want to see the memorial...not people protesting, dancing, or trying to make a scene.

If you don't like the law...pettition to get it changed...don't go provoke the police just to see if they will enforce the law...that is stupid.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Laws should be enforced by the greater good of the community, not by armed men trained to generate revenue make non violations of other peoples right to life a profitable industry

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

how is she a terrorist? anybody thay want is a terrorist. if you don't think i'm right. i recomend you try and film them. enjoy your cell
www.guardian.co.uk...

its just the same as "section 5 just because you're annoying me"

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Welcome to the land of the free..

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade

The law is indisputable, perhaps in this case, but the "enforcers" had discretion in how they enforced that law, this could have had an ending that no one would have paid any attention to.

They could have quietly ushered the dancing terrorists outside and respectfully asked them to keep it out there, dance all you want, outside.

Perhaps like this???

There were already 4-5 police officers there...and they did calmly explain to them EXACTLY what the law was and that they were in violation. The officer even told them they have already had multiple warnings and if they continue they will be arrested.

These people are stupid...they pushed until they got the result they wanted....THEY WANTED TO GET ARRESTED. They wanted to provoke the police so they could cry and say "See...see what they do to us for just dancing????".

It's pathetic...and I don't feel sorry for them at all.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Yeah who knows. I'm wondering if dancing was actually a problem before this. Seems like it will be a problem now cause it seems many people will test this law. I for one really don't care either way. I'm happy to be far away from DC and will dance in my backyard. Looking forward to new video's of people getting tackled though.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by AntiNWO

Maybe thats why they chose his memorial over all the others. I do agree with many here that they were looking for a reaction which they have every right to do in my opinion. So with that in mind getting arrested at the memorial of the man that championed freedom brings the point home better.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brotherman

Laws should be enforced by the greater good of the community, not by armed men trained to generate revenue make non violations of other peoples right to life a profitable industry

Ummmm....no thanks.

I'd rather not have lynch mobs enforce laws. Judging by the average intelligence I see in the "community"...I'd take my chances with the police ANY day.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Doesn't anyone know what decorum is and what might or might not be appropriate in a memorial such as this? If I were visiting the Jefferson memorial I would like to be able to enjoy it and not be annoyed by people being loud or otherwise obnoxious.

While I have great respect for people protesting (esp Adam Kokesh) this was the wrong place to do it.
Outside would be fine but not inside the memorial itself.

I agree these cops are way too physical in their arrest methods and they should have simply ejected them from the site.

So how about people break dancing?
Would that be ok too?
Or maybe boomboxes?

They have to draw the line somewhere.

Sorry, wrong method, wrong place.
No sympathy from me.
edit on 29-5-2011 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aceofclubs
reply to post by PsykoOps

how is she a terrorist? anybody thay want is a terrorist. if you don't think i'm right. i recomend you try and film them. enjoy your cell
www.guardian.co.uk...

its just the same as "section 5 just because you're annoying me"

Few highlights from your own source. Maybe you should read it next time. Embhasis mine:

Woman 'detained' for filming police

After officers made calls to the police station, possibly for legal advice on the situation, the handcuffs were removed and Atkinson was released.

"officers do not have a legal power to delete images or destroy film", and suggests that, while digital images might be viewed during a search, officers "should not normally attempt to examine them".

It is never a crime to film police unless it is intented for criminal purposes in the UK. Even if you get arrested, harrassed or beat for it still does not make it illegal.

Here's a handy little leaflet you can print out about photo rights in the UK.
Uk photographers rights

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join