It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chomsky and Cockburn: No JFK Conspiracy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 09:55 PM
link   
How do reknown "leftist" intellectuals and writers like Noam Chomsky and Counterpunch's Alexander Cockburn uphold the Warren Commission report ?

"Mr. Chomsky and Mr. Cockburn are also really no different than Dan Rather. Mr. Rather publicly supports the Warren Commission, but has a private position on the assassination we have not heard. On specials about Kennedy, Mr. Rather will spout some mealy-mouthed nonsense like "The mystery of the assassination burns like an eternal flame" while the camera pans over Rather's shoulder to the Kennedy torch that burns at Arlington Cemetery."

www.rtis.com...

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Well on that point I disagree with Chomsky.

However, I do not think it invalidates in any way his other contributions to linguistics, political writting, activism and spreading information. They're all worthwhile activities even without immediate results. I think I understand why he takes the position he does.

From the article:

Selwyn Bromberger, an MIT philosophy professor who had sit in on the discussion, said to the author: "If they are strong enough to kill the President and strong enough to cover it up, then they are too strong to confront directly . . .

It has now become clear to me that leading progressive/left/liberal thinkers and writers like I.F. Stone, Noam Chomsky and Alexander Cockburn will only criticize the monied and powerful to the extent that they think it is safe for them to do.

I would also hesitate to put my life on the line to prove something most people already suspect.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Gotta say this is really disappointing. Sure they might be playing it safe, but plenty of high-profile people have had the courage to give their true beliefs. I like some of Chomsky and Cockburn's books, but I will be reading them differently from now on.

new topics

join