It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best martial art for survival when the brown stuff starts flying around

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
The art of being invisible and not seen.
I will second the notion of street fighting, as all rules are out the window.
Hand to hand should be of the utmost last resort.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Buddha1098
No one style is complete. IMO BJJ is the most effective art for one on one combat compared to singular styles. Disagree? Watch the early UFCs.

However in street fighting situations I'd take a Judo guy over a BJJ guy any day. Toss someone on their head and even if the fight isn't one on one his buddies might think twice before they step in.

Stand up arts are great but if the guy is a good grappler you better knock him out on the way in or your done.

Mixing styles is the only way to be a complete fighter, you need enough wrestling to stay off your back, enough Jits to avoid being submitted and enough standup to make the other guy respect your hands.

I was going to answer until I read this. Buddha1098 answered correctly for unarmed combat. It sounds like you might have some training yourself? I've trained in muay thai, bjj, and judo. The only thing I'm missing is wrestling, but I don't feel it's a weakness unless I'm going against a trained wrestler(which could happen).
But that wrestler better hope he has good sub defense if he gets me down

link   
I really think most of this martial arts is going to be useless in the case of a major social/governmental breakdown. It's going to be more important to focus on guerrilla hit and run tactics because any sort of military force isn't going to just stand there while you walk up and attack them, they will be armed with combat knives and fully automatic weapons. These are not going to be people who will have an honest fight with a civilian, if they show hostility, they will get a bullet. Smartest move is going to be studying anatomy to learn the various weak points of the human body, studying various military battle gear to see where the reinforced sections are, and launching your attacks as quickly and quietly as possible so you still have a chance of walking away alive yourself. I'm not going to outright dismiss the use of martial arts/hand to hand skills, but the likelihood of being close enough to put them to use under a martial state is only high if you allow yourself to make contact immediately after installment of forces (during the round-up) or if you are found by a patrol, and in both situations (unless you have networked with others) will outnumber you to a degree that makes such an attack pure suicide.

I'd personally suggest just keeping yourself in good shape, studying guerrilla tactics, thinking about beneficial changes to those tactics (because all militaries study them), and above all knowing your enemy. Another good preparation would be investing some time into languages, it will aid in intelligence gathering from overheard troop conversations and in the event that you are caught could humanize you enough that foreign/nato troops will lose the ability to take the shot or give you a small window to make your own.

Just my two cents.

link   
reply to post by OoohLaDeDa

This has been a question asked since the first time two people got into a fight. There is no one type of self defense that is above all others.I started in martial arts when I was 6 yrs old. Thats well over 30 yrs ago. I have a Black belt in Aikido, A 2nd degree in Tae kwon do, a brown belt in Brazilian Ju-Jitsu, I have taken boxing, Muy Thai, Krav Maga and Jeet Kune do.I have probably been in 300-400 street fights in my life. The most important things I have learned are these: No matter how good or how fast you are, you will get hit. You need to know how to take a hit and use that that to your advantage. There is always someone better and you will get your ass kicked at some point.Anyone who says otherwise is full of #. Most of the time a fight will end up on the ground if it lasts more than 5 seconds so you better know how to grapple and fight off of your back. There is no such thing as a "super secret deadly punch/kick,gouge" Thats made up movie crap.Forget trying to kick a man in the nuts. 9 out of 10 times you will miss and really piss your attacker off. Remember- a man was born with those and has been protecting them since he could walk. If they have a weapon the best defense is the Nike defense-RUN. Unless you have no other choice.And always try to remain calm. And NEVER underestimate what another human being is capable of doing based on their size/shape or demeanor. That could prove to be a deadly mistake.And the A #1 lesson-There are no rules in a fight, everything is fair and anything goes.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by OoohLaDeDa
What do you reckon?
Wing chun?
Krav Magra?
Boxing?
Tai Chi?

Although USA and Canada can have guns, other countries wont have the luxury of having these to defend ourselves with. Assuming someone starts training now, which is the best to learn to protect our famillies and pets?

Taekwondo, Krav Magra, Escrima.

Only ones worth learning. Period.

Thai Chi won't help you when it comes to practical fighting. Boxing will help if you don't have time to actually learn, but boxers will get destroyed by any competant martial artist.

Escrima will teach you how to fight with make shift weapons, like a tree branch... or a pencil. Krav Magra will teach you all your take down, counter weapon fighting and generally keep you safe VS MMA style fighters.

Taekwondo, will keep all the no nothing fighters away from your perimeter. They also have the best kicking of any martial art, as well as is home to the MOST powerful kick of any martial art, the tkd back kick.

What makes TKD better in practice over something like Muay Thai is the nature of it's kicks. While a Taekwondo round kick, may not deliver the power of a Muay Thai round kick.... it's VERY close, and has a much greater advantage of hiding your telegraphing.

Every kick in TKD starts the same way, so there is no way to appropriately guess where the foot is going to go, until it gets there.

I believe firmly that having knowledge in all three of these martial arts, will make you about as protected as you could ever be without having a projectile weapon.

(I am a black belt in TKD, and have taken classes in about 10 martial arts now....)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Interesting thread. A lot of good advice here along with some misleading ideas.

A proficient martial artist practices with the intention of avoiding fights, but if forced, he will kill.

Personality, mind-set, temperment, physical condition will all factor into determining which form of the art will work best for you. The important and critical factor in sharpening your skills, abilities and effectiveness in real life situations will be determined by the intensity to which you are willing to learn and to the degree that you are dedicated to practicing it.

Also, choose your instructor with great care. A sloppy and uninvolved instructor will do you no good.

Whichever form you choose, please remember to respect your art and your fellow students.

As for a gun, well knowledge, training and practice are still needed to use it safely and effectively. Also, there is always the question of what to do when you run out of bullets? The use of a knife also involves risks. Both weapons are options however if the proper skills in their use has been developed.

In the end, the best option is to be aware and prepared in the event of the worst case scenario.

Hopefully, none of us will have to find out that we weren't ready.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheOracle
Probably ninjutsu as it teaches you to fight under so many conditions (using a chair, a pen...) and so many different weapons.
Not only that, it teaches you to stay alive : running, stealth, dirty tactics, kill in one strike. This art has nothing martial, ninjutsu is not a sport it's a way of life.

No offense but I think ninjutsu is right up there with super powers because most people have this outlandish fantasy when it comes to it. ninjutsu isn't really in the category of MA. Its just another term for "out of the ordinary tactic". Its nothing to learn really its doing/using whatever is necessary in terms of combat. So bringing a gun to fist fight or ambushing someone walking alone are all acts in ninjutsu. The modern form of ninjutsu is made up it never existed.

In the past actually ninjas using ninjutsu were mostly common people and farmers who had a little fighting experince (which was common for the times) and instead of dying decided to pick up some farm tools or ordinary house hold items and use them in undefined ways. People have looked back on this and turned it into more then it actually is. Not to say you won't learn something valuable from taken lesson in ninjutsu but it not you classic MA.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by JayFlores
I have a Black belt in Aikido, A 2nd degree in Tae kwon do, a brown belt in Brazilian Ju-Jitsu, I have taken boxing, Muy Thai, Krav Maga and Jeet Kune do.I have probably been in 300-400 street fights in my life.

LOL!! you must really be a great guy if on average you have been attacked in the street more than once a month for the past 30 years. Just got one of those faces people want to punch or what? My BS meter just shot off the dial, past 300, then past 400 and then exploded. And it was a 1st degree blackbelt in detecting BS, a brown belt in detecting deception and it was well versed in detcting fabrication, misrepresentation and delusion.
edit on 29-5-2011 by Arkady because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-5-2011 by Arkady because: I just couldn;t stop laughing.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Testsubject3

I have to disagree with everything you posted. Ive been full force kicked and punched in the throat many times in a fight and all I got was a brief millisecond of discomfort and a sore throat for a few days. And Im no big muscle head either. Im 5'10 175lbs. A knee to the nads works IF you can land it. A man doesnt have to see a shot to the balls coming. As soon as he feels a brush to his thigh, instinct takes over and you will most likely miss.And I'm not sure about this (sarcasm) but I dont think anyone is going to stand still while you smash their knee. So unless you are greased lightning, kick like a mule and can hit that knee at the perfect angle with a reasonable amount of force, thats out of the question as well.
The first problem is too many people let an aggressor walk right up in their face and start talking smack. I dont play that game. As soon as you start acting aggressive and get within striking distance-fight on.Its called reasonable fear of personal bodily injury and its perfectly legal in most states. I prefer the shot to the face followed by a fast double leg or single leg take down.Distraction and action as I call it. That way I can choke them out or break a limb ricky tick and dont have to worry much about getting their herpagonnasyphilitis with HIV complications infested body fluids all over me.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Deebo

Deebo, I'm obviously unaware of anything about you but this comment betrays a lack of knowledge regarding Bruce Lee......

I assure you that no UFC fighter, and I will repeat it: NO UFC FIGHTER, would have beaten Bruce Lee.

His speed, reaction time, anticipation, fluidity, imagination, fighting knowledge, skill level, strength and fitness was so superior to any of the UFC fighters that it would be almost comical to watch.

Do yourself a favour and do some research about Bruce Lee..........

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Dee Best Defence, Is a good Offence....Mr. Braiffwait.

Dee Best move...............Run Like Hell !!!!!

"Whats Your Style?"...

" Dee Art of Fyding, Widout Fyding"

" Fightin without fightin??...Show me !".......

Lee always said the hardest person to fight, is the Street fighter......Because they are the most unpredictable, grasshopper.

"Like a finger, pointing to da Moon"........

edit on 29-5-2011 by gort51 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Right now I train BJJ. I trained Shorin ryu karate as a teenager, and modern army combatives while in the service. You can not have a complete self defense system without learning to fight on the ground( like wrestling, judo,or BJJ). Lots of real fights end up on the ground. From tripping, stumbling or getting rocked by a big hit. If I know the mechanics of fighting on the ground and my opponent doesn't, it's most likely going to end up with me choking them or breaking a limb.

But grappling isn't the end all be all. You still need to have good striking. If you know striking and can bang away, get inside on them, control when the fight goes to the ground and finish them. It doesn't matter what style you learn.

If your going to train TKD you need to find a good instructor that teaches what it is capable of in a real self defense. Not a Mcdojo training only the sport aspect. Same with Ninjistu be careful of the instructors. I read last year about a ninjistu teacher in Mississippi. That had faked his resume and lineage, and was teaching a BS version of it.

Learn as much as you can from as many people as you can. There is no one true way. You need to be well versed in every aspect of fighting. The only way to do that is train and spar with as many different legit teachers and fighters as possible.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   

I have to disagree with everything you posted. Ive been full force kicked and punched in the throat many times in a fight and all I got was a brief millisecond of discomfort

Yeah, I totally know what you mean. I once got shot in the face at point blank range with a grenade launcher and it barely even left a bruise. these other pussies dont know what they're talking about, I usually have full force kicks to the throat for breakfast and then 400 street fights for lunch.
You crack me up Jay, are you sure you're real names not Jay Norris?

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Arkady

Interesting. I need to get me one of those B.S. meters to go with my fat, keyboard warrior detector that is shooting off the charts right now. And the answer is , I used to look for fights when I was younger. Nothing to fight before and after school, pick a bar fight get thrown out go to the next bar and pick another one. And After that, my reputation followed me and being a little guy people would want to see what the deal was and how "tough" I was.
As for having a face people want to punch, thats the same thing the doctor told me both times he had to operate on my nose over the years. Is that you Dr.Kirsmarkie?

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
If the other guy has a gun....run!

Apart from that there is no such thing as the best martial art. They are all good. The only thing that makes a difference is the person that uses it. I have seen black belts that wouldn't stand a second in a real fight....there are a lot of them out there. It's because they are giving out those things like candy these days.

Apart from that, there are fighter-type people and non-fighter-type ones. You will find out pretty fast in a real fight if you are a fighter or not. If you don't have it in you, no martial art can help you.

Furthermore, every person is different...meaning that someone could be a great Boxer but would never be good a Karate. So you have to find what suits you best.

Me personally, I love Boxing, Karate and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Rugby... You'll be taught to eye-gouge, bite, squeeze testicles, stamp on people, wrestle and rip arms out their socket, break ankles, grab someones shirt to control movement while teeing off with your good hand. All the good stuff that'd serve you well in a street fight

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

pick a bar fight get thrown out go to the next bar and pick another one. And After that, my reputation followed me and being a little guy people would want to see what the deal was

Oh right, so small man syndrome then, I'm sorry I didn't realize. That explains it.

and how "tough" I was.

my gues is.......... not very.
edit on 29-5-2011 by Arkady because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Arkady

The question is- whos doing the punching and kicking? Ive seen huge guys that hit like my 3 yr old daughter and I had a 5 foot nothing 130 pound kid break my orbital and lay me out cold with one punch.Unlike most of the people on this forum- I like to fight and test my theories.To me fighting is one of the top rushes out there.I'll fight anybody, anywhere just to see if Im better than they are.Sometimes I am,Sometimes Im not. But I still get my adrenaline rush, a workout and have some fun. So if youre ever in the Orlando area look me up.Thats my REAL name by the way

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Arkady

The correct term is little man disease. And I just like to fight, whats wrong with that? Do I think I'm a tough guy? No. I still win more than I loose. But its about the fight, not a reputation. I enjoy the rush and thats just my thing. Kinda like you may enjoy knitting,for example.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by OoohLaDeDa

Chun Kuk Do

hahahahahah

but seriously

Ninjitsu

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join