It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best martial art for survival when the brown stuff starts flying around

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by OoohLaDeDa

Kyokushinkai Karate

It's full contact, you have to train very hard and your body gets conditioned to being hit!

If you have a good instructor, you will grow in confidence with the grace and respect of knowing!

2nd: My Gran used to say "He who runs away, lives to fight another day"

www.bkk-uk.com...

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by kushin

2nd: My Gran used to say "He who runs away, lives to fight another day"

Haha, this is true! Maybe I will change my vote to running! Maybe practice some 50 yard sprints and then focus on distance running. That way, I can get away very quickly but still have the stamina to run a far distance. Then, when the guy chasing me drops from exhaustion I'll pull the Mr. Miyagi "live or die" on him.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Well the person matters more than his martial art hobby alone... it's not like you buy yourself an ability to defend.

Martial arts are so different, they have different lines, and different level groups. Just pick something where they have adrenaline close-encounter situations, if self-defence is your primary ambition. The crew, teachers, mentality of the group you train with is much more important than which martial art you choose, the levels of dojos vary so much.

I've seen American black belt girls who can't hold their arms up in a proper guard stance.
I've seen ten year old Tibetian orange belt kids act like ninjas.

Just follow your instincts.

I could list many martial arts and tell about their differences but the research is up to you. I'd say Muay Thai and Kyokushinkai Karate are very good if you want to train for powerful kicks and punches. If you're not very flexible or that then why not Wing Chun, they focus on fast hands and low kicks. First advice I have is stay out of trouble.
edit on 29-5-2011 by Jonas86 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Krav Magra deffo its leathal it would be vevy good in that kind of situation like disarming ect

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by OoohLaDeDa

Originally posted by yourmaker

another interesting way to learn is to play mortal kombat/tekken/street fighter and study each characters style against each others. mortal kombat armageddon is the ultimate game for this. they have over 30+ styles and you can watch them interact with each other. it's really interesting, can take the best from each one and never really have a definable style that your opponent can defeat.

Seriously??

I wouldn't knock it. Remember when they had to dumb down flight simulation games because people were passing flight test just by playing the games and never taken an actual class. Or the countless racing and FPS games people play then snap and take it to real live killing people left and right out running cops etc. When SHTF the brain +fight or flight+ adrenalin will use what ever knowledge it knows to survive real or fiction.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Don't get sucked into "which martial arts is better". Bruce Lee is renowned for purporting that the only style is no style, to limit yourself to one style is to stagnate as a fighter and at the end of the day it's down to martial artist.

Mixed martial arts such as cage fighting and the UFC have proven that within the rules of their sport, a combination of Muay Thai, Ju Jitsu, Western Boxing and American Wrestling have produced the most rounded of combatants.

Note that I prefaced that with "within the rules of their sport" which precludes strikes to spine, groin, eye-gouging, biting, weaponry et al. Look to militant combat arts such as Krav Maga for techniques more conducive to a realistic "life and death" scenario.

Other martial arts tend to be useful for specializing such Tae Kwon Do for more elaborate kicking, Judo for flipping and throwing etc.

Also, consider Ninpo, free-running and strategies contingent on team dynamics.

Above all, remember that the martial art and the martial artist are (should be) two very different things.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
The thread title is wrong... There is no universal martial art suited for all possible situations...

I hold blackbelt degrees in kyokushinkai and tkd and have studied muay thai, kickboxing and savate... That's okay to defend myself in a normal barfight or one on one on the street... But against a military trained attacker, someone using weapons expertly or more than two attackers I would have a hard time...

A very close friend of mine was head of a police unit that was established in the 80s in germany for kind of black ops. They were used by police, military and intelligence. They were trained by the best in martial arts, electronics, weapons. I've seen him picking locks in no time, opening any kind of car and using handguns and rifles. First time we met in the 90s he asked me to attack him. Being the self-assured and somehow arrogant martial artist that I was at that Time I told him that I don't wanna hurt him. He said go ahead and I found myself lying on the floor with my hands behind my back. That happened three times in a row. Not good for your ego...
(btw if you think I must be an awful martial artist I can tell you I was a two time german champion in full contact at that time)

Maybe you get the point...

Ps my sensei always said that there is no effective defense against the crystal ashtray to the back of your head... The best fight is no fight...

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
So you would say that maybe some kind of military style training is more effective?
Thats interesting, I guess that leans towards Krav Maga then or something of that ilk.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
jesus, get a grip, so many complete morons seem to have this fantasy of becoming some kind of ninja bad ass when shtf. Trust me you wont be and whatever you become in a post apocalypse world will not be glamorous.
Even in countries where guns are illegal it's going to be easier for you to get ahold of a hand gun than it will be to spend the years training that would be necessary to be proficient enough in any martial art for it to actually make a difference in a fight for survival.
If I had a penny for every time I've seen a 'martial arts expert / black belt' get the sh** kicked out of them by somebody who has no formal fight training but has for whatever reason been involved in a lot of vicious fights I'd have 16 whole pennies. the only answer to your question is MMA or krav maga, there is a very good reason you don't see those guys prancing around doing flying crane style kung fu in the octagon. It's because that's not what happens in a fight. There's also a thing called knife fighting, learn it and stab your way out of trouble because I guarantee the scumbag you end up fighting after SHTF isn't going to be a ninja either.
99% of the people in this thread have watched way too many movies.

edit on 29-5-2011 by Arkady because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Attention! Martial arts enthusiasts:

There is no one art greater than another.

Learn from the words of Master Lee.

Use what works for you.

That being said... Krav Maga works.

So does Kyokushinkai Karate.

They save lives.

Two of the finest combat arts known to man, well proven on the field of battle and at your local bar & grill.

There is no one definitive martial art. That's why they call it an ART... because it's not a SCIENCE.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by OoohLaDeDa
So you would say that maybe some kind of military style training is more effective?
Thats interesting, I guess that leans towards Krav Maga then or something of that ilk.

Not military style... I don't think you can get proper military martial arts training as a civilian (at least I haven't found a really capable teacher yet) And not every military training is the same... Tbh it was a lot easier when I started to train since there was no krav maga, pencak silat etc... The choice was between Chinese, korean and japanese martial arts...

If I were you I would choose for e.g. 3 martial arts that you consider the most interesting and then take trial lessons... Not every mind and every body is suited for every martial art... Find the one that works for you best... And don't expect fast results... There is no martial art with convincing fast results... Unfortunately...

edit on 29/5/11 by beltemps because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   

The simple and useful tactics of Aikido,judo,karate and taekwondo are easy to learn and can be used to get you out of sticky situations. Use them for defence to disable your assailant temporary so that you can get away.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Russians seem to like systema. Its what they teach to their military units such as spetnaz so it must be decent. Now from personal experience MA looks nice during training and in movies but in real life shyt doesn't always go the way you think. You should pick something you like that way you will be more dedicated and stick with it. The best advise anyone can give you is Learn to take a hit, you could be the next Bruce lee, or Jet lee but if you get punched in the face or in the the stomach and get the breath knock out of you, you are out for the count and all the MA in the world won't do you much good.

Most fights now a days have a lot of preface meaning people like to talk and get up in your face etc drawing attention to the situation. In the first few seconds you have already made up your mind if your really gonna fight or not. While they spend time yelling and showing off you need to strike. Now you also have to have the mentality of fighting for your life, aka fighting to kill. There are no rules in a real fight. You need to save as much energy as possible so go for key points. The throat being one of them. If you punch or hit someone in the throat hard enough its pretty much over. Good for when people get in your face trying to provoke or punk you out.

Second the balls,on guys at least. A quick knee to the balls involves little to no tells, if the victim is watching for hand movement and it will always create a semi forward lean motion on the victim so from there you could easily grab their head and big their face to your knee. Now kneecaps are always a last but good resort for the first to second action of a fight. Enough force to a joint will break it and it hurts. Just visualize someone taking a bat your knees painful right?

Now none of these are be all end all by any means but good for quick start to finish fight if applicable. Now the smartest thing to do is to keep distance on anyone you believe is getting ready to fight you. No one hardly has a one on one fight anymore if your fighting someone in a public setting its a good bet his or her friends are close behind and will quickly join the fight most of the time even before it begins. two to one, three to one etc aren't really good odds since your never quite sure what the other guy or guys are capable of so always asses the situation in case your need to swallow your pride and bail.

But all of this is just talk. In a real SHTF moment rules like gun laws don't really matter so you should always be prepared. Jail time etc will always be the better option compared your family being killed/harmed. The "Self Defense" excuse doesn't hold up like it use to in court but is better then nothing.

Now if your SHTF scenario is apocalyptic I'd recommend you and your family/friend stay as far away from other people as possible. In those situations its safe to say "People get other people killed" it only take one idiot to screw things up for everyone.
edit on 29-5-2011 by Testsubject3 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Took a little Isshinryu karate myself. Sadly hurt myself pretty quickly, but it has amazing forms and kata. Probably be best to stick to no rules street fighting with weapons thrown in.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Kick boxing is pretty good. You learn to throw a punch, combo's, and kicking, pushing with ur kick to push opponents too close away. Kick-boxing game great balance. Not afraid to throw a punch, but what i found with kick-boxing over normal boxing is that it opens up the whole other part of your body... the legs, and ur not afraid to start using them.

I had a mate who did boxing, while i did kick boxing. In a boxing match he would wreck ya, but he didn't know shoit when my legs were coming at him.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Wing pong wang

Deng dong chop

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I study Aikido and Arnis. I like the concentration Arnis has on weapons including escrima sticks and the bolo machete among others.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1Starman

The simple and useful tactics of Aikido,judo,karate and taekwondo are easy to learn and can be used to get you out of sticky situations. Use them for defence to disable your assailant temporary so that you can get away.

NO! In a SHTF world this mindset will get you killed, your wife raped and your children raped/murdered. If you cannot fight to kill, then you need to avoid conflict altogether. Rely on stealth to stay out of danger. In today' litigious society, your position has merit. However in the world of Mad Max it is kill or be killed.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   

It's not so much about what style of martial art one knows, it's how well they know it and their ability to stay calm and rational while employing it. In my opinion the best martial art is Jeet Kune Do, invented by Bruce Lee. The reason is because in order to excel at Jeet Kune Do, one must have knowledge and training in more than one martial art, because Jeet Kune Do teaches you how to combine the skills from the arts that you already know into your own fighting style. It is important to have a good balance of stand up and ground fighting skills. If a Tae Kwon Do fighter gets taken to the ground he is helpless against a grappler.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Probably ninjutsu as it teaches you to fight under so many conditions (using a chair, a pen...) and so many different weapons.
Not only that, it teaches you to stay alive : running, stealth, dirty tactics, kill in one strike. This art has nothing martial, ninjutsu is not a sport it's a way of life.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join