It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best martial art for survival when the brown stuff starts flying around

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by JeepOrDie

Yep, those are what I was talking about. sorry for the spelling. Butokukan is taught in Japanese, but when we borrow something we don't change the name, as it is important to know where it came from. Thanks for that!

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Well if the brown stuff is literally flying around, i say dodgeball.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
If limited to training one form of hand to hand combat I would choose Pencak Silat Bukti Negara.

Let me know if vids are uncool, OP, and I will take it down.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
If you really want to live longer try the martial art I use,

The Art of Invisibility.

Keep a low profile.......

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Really? How so?reply to post by onequestion

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Well I use expert marksmanship with a belt in Butokukan from the 70s from Sensei Sandoval.
And 30 years to learn exactly what to do with it.
I used it once in the form of a forward punch and broke a Korean paratroopers face after he kicked me in mine.

I personally think that Hwarang Do is a good choice.It worked for Rangers in Viet Nam.
How about Dim Mak?

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I love Muay Thai and I train in Muay Thai and Boxing. In a standard street fight where there is no danger of getting killed, or arrested for murder, MT and Boxing are great. In a survival situation you need to disable your opponent and possibly kill him and not many martial arts offer that. You need to practice eye gouges, groin strikes, limb breaks and be handy with a weapon.

Your Muay Thai ain't going nowhere when you have no eyes, one testicle and a broken arm.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Muay Thai and Krav Maga

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

No one knew what that was until UFC came out so please....no, only thing you need is your brain and being capable to think level headed without panicking

My bad i mean when UFC became popular because i used to watch it back in the old days when people didnt even know what UFC was now you have like 30 million seasons of ultimate gay fighter
edit on 29-5-2011 by Evanzsayz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   

edit on 29-5-2011 by Grimble because: appalling video quality

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
jujitsu/jeet kune do

any other answer is wrong.

no offense.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by OoohLaDeDa

Art ? Too sophisticated. I just open a can woop ass.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
This is turning out to be a pissing contest.

I usually dont comment on topics like this, because people are only here to promote their own personal favorite.

If you are as stupid as to think that you can learn martial arts and always come out on top, your a bloody fool.

No matter how much you learn there will always be someone who can kick your ass. The problem is, you never know who that person is or when you are going to meat him.

The best thing is to stay home and practice martial arts and hope you get some fitness from it, so that you can run like hell when the SHTF.

edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
If SHTF I don't think it be wise you put yourself in any harms way, break an arm or worse get shot or stabbed I don't think you would be able to find heath care.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by C4RT3R
If SHTF I don't think it be wise you put yourself in any harms way, break an arm or worse get shot or stabbed I don't think you would be able to find heath care.

Agreed, but you cant get away with this forever, so when the time comes it got to be worth being trained to fight.

Great replies btw everyone, certainly giving me some things to consider.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Traditional martial arts will take too long to learn.

The best styles to learn:

Stand up fighting/clinch: Boxing/Muay Thai

Ground fighting/takedowns: Brazilian jiu jitsu/wrestling

Simple straight forward and logical techniques and tactics.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
After studying with the Bujinkan for over 20 years there is no better all round martial science than what is taught in these dojo's. I have also studies Karate, Tae kwon do, Aikido, Judo, Jodo and western style fencing. Not one of them could lay a finger on me. I have trained with boxers of all kinds and once I take out there limited weaponry they becpme nothing more than dancers. Of course it also depends on how much effort you apply to learning your craft. If you are n ot willing to immerse yourself completley then you will more likely get yourself in trouble. Best defence dont be there. Simple

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by OoohLaDeDa

If we would stop to think like primates or like some kind of savage beasts we would NOT need anything to defend ourself. Just love, caring & sharing. This is why the world is doomed...
edit on 29-5-2011 by Fuzy187 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Too be honest there isn't one. A combination of many would be your best, but barring that, any striking discipline with an animalistic desire to survive. Krav Magra or whatever that Israeli-bred crap is is over-rated, it's just their sandy version of what any military hand-to-hand combat course will teach you. Quick thinking and lightning-quick violence.

Use leverage, any open strikes you can land and whatever else you can find/do to cause maximum damage to your opponent in the shortest amount of time (claw, bite, choke, rip, tear, stab and bludgeon anything you can).

I assume you were talking about fight for your life type scenarios.
edit on 29-5-2011 by ateuprto because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by OoohLaDeDa

Originally posted by C4RT3R

Agreed, but you cant get away with this forever, so when the time comes it got to be worth being trained to fight.

Great replies btw everyone, certainly giving me some things to consider.

Of course you can get away from a fight every time you want to, that is. All you have to learn is to behave so that you are not the one who people want to fight with.
Behaviour is a skill a lot of people have to learn, even though they think they master it.

A boxer is a person who learns how to box because that is what he does for a living/sport.
A soldier learns how to kill, because a soldier is going to be put in that kind of environment where he might have to kill.

If you want to survive a SHTF scenario, you have to learn how to behave in that type of environment.
Learning how to fight is not going to increase your survival odds. Learning how to get away from a combat situation before it takes place is going to increase your survival odds.
You dont get out of a combat situation by learning how to beat down the other guy. Because you have to beat him first.
You will only get out of a combat situation if you know how to, evaluate and spot the danger before it escalates.

Most people have to tend to fighting, because they them selves failed to have the right behavior in a tense environment. Where peoples behavior is already a problem.

edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join