It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best martial art for survival when the brown stuff starts flying around

page: 15
<< 12  13  14   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
finally my kind of thread!

as someone who practices martial arts I can safely say no one style is good enough. with the exception being..

JEET KUNE DO, but it takes the best of the martial arts and combines them into one style (no style)

you can keep any attacker at a perfect distance, they could never hit you if your face is always 1 centimetre away from their fist. it's an exact science and takes awhile to learn but it is extremely handy.

the counters you learn are incredible. the moment your attacker lunges at you, you can strike in their moment of attack at their moment of vulnerability.

you learn to act like water, when they attack you can detract and morph into a movement that allows you to strike, and when you strike you strike like a raging river, just flowing right into the movement.

theres no limitation in jeet kune do except which you place on yourself.

thats my personal opinion. but I can lead you towards more traditional arts.

Muy thai has it's advantages such as elbows and knees
wing chun with it's energetic kicks
taekwondo with it's high kicks and side

but really you can learn the best from each of those styles and create your own.

another interesting way to learn is to play mortal kombat/tekken/street fighter and study each characters style against each others. mortal kombat armageddon is the ultimate game for this. they have over 30+ styles and you can watch them interact with each other. it's really interesting, can take the best from each one and never really have a definable style that your opponent can defeat.

Grow up and stop quoteing bruce.Think for yourself, jkd is just his interpratation of wing chun,find a good wc teacher and you will get all of jkd except the stupid high kicks.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by marvinthemartian

I'm trying to deny ignorance here. If someone takes you to the ground, and you don't know grappling defense, then it's over.

DENY IGNORNACE. It's not hollywood.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0
reply to post by marvinthemartian

I'm trying to deny ignorance here. If someone takes you to the ground, and you don't know grappling defense, then it's over.

DENY IGNORNACE. It's not hollywood.

Thats a big assumption,wing chun is an anti-grapple art so if you take me down and thats a very big if i do know what im doin.You would be suprised how quick you can break someones finger,how you goin to grapple then.Any way what do you do when your oponent's mate stamps all over you.I dont remember seeing that in hollywood.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I am a black belt in the art of pepper spray.I chop and kick and wham,I pull out the pepper spray with lightning speed .

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
A ll forms of martial arts are good in their way
I knew a man that was a 2nd degree black belt in tie quan do..when I asked him what the best defence against a gun was he said dont be there!
Im 62 now and that was long ago..I have had some fights in my day and I have always won ! Not that I am (or was ) that good but I fight extremely dirty.If I have to fight gouge the eyes and kick to the knee break the leg If you arent prepaired to do this and strike first then run..Dont mess with old men..they tend to shoot ya !!

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
As ex-military, I can emphatically tell you that a system like Krav Maga would be the one to study.

I've trained in Muay Thai, and it is an effective combat system - but Krav Maga will teach you wrist locks, arm bars, disarming techniques etc.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by marvinthemartian

Originally posted by OoohLaDeDa
close quarter/anti-grapple and best of all no rules except finnish it quick so in my opinion wing chun is the answer to your question.

I agree with everyone who thinks grappling is a terrible form of self defense...

edit on 28-6-2011 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

mats?
thats not fighting

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Yes, because without mats the result would have been different.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by marvinthemartian

Originally posted by yourmaker
finally my kind of thread!

as someone who practices martial arts I can safely say no one style is good enough. with the exception being..

JEET KUNE DO, but it takes the best of the martial arts and combines them into one style (no style)

you can keep any attacker at a perfect distance, they could never hit you if your face is always 1 centimetre away from their fist. it's an exact science and takes awhile to learn but it is extremely handy.

the counters you learn are incredible. the moment your attacker lunges at you, you can strike in their moment of attack at their moment of vulnerability.

you learn to act like water, when they attack you can detract and morph into a movement that allows you to strike, and when you strike you strike like a raging river, just flowing right into the movement.

theres no limitation in jeet kune do except which you place on yourself.

thats my personal opinion. but I can lead you towards more traditional arts.

Muy thai has it's advantages such as elbows and knees
wing chun with it's energetic kicks
taekwondo with it's high kicks and side

but really you can learn the best from each of those styles and create your own.

another interesting way to learn is to play mortal kombat/tekken/street fighter and study each characters style against each others. mortal kombat armageddon is the ultimate game for this. they have over 30+ styles and you can watch them interact with each other. it's really interesting, can take the best from each one and never really have a definable style that your opponent can defeat.

Grow up and stop quoteing bruce.Think for yourself, jkd is just his interpratation of wing chun,find a good wc teacher and you will get all of jkd except the stupid high kicks.

Why should I do that? No thanks.
and don't diss high kicks. if you know what you're doing then they are effective.

and please. DON'T ASSUME YOU KNOW WHO YOU'RE TALKING TO.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

reality has
car bumpers bats knives bottles sticks other people cops bikers rocks sticks GUNS girlfriends
boots jackets razors TEETH, rippers gougers and cutters ( rings) boxcutters..
etc etc etc

you take it to the ground in a street fight
odds are
you are done
and that is NOT conjecture...
any experienced street fighter will tell you...
sports martial artist in street fights with experienced street fightes don't do
as well as you might think...

a sport is NOT the real deal...
and for every sport vid extolling the virtues of one "form" of martial arts over another there is any number showing the opposite

I have 25 years of experience so I don't need to convince myself...
I wouldn't be hear writing this unless I knew how to take care of myself
unarmed.
heheh
all I can say to you is
Good luck

edit on 7-7-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

You seem to think that a fight going to the ground means it's a sport.

There are a number of statistics that say 80-90% of fights go to the ground. It has nothing to do with a sport. And anyone can use their animal instincts to bite / claw / use a make shift weapon--it simply doesn't change my arguement. Strawman fallacy.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

geeza you are spot on but you will never be able to change some people's mind.The thing is if they have trained for a time most wont be able or want to accept that when it comes to a real fight they have wasted that time.
Long live reality.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Some great martial arts have been mentioned in this thread!
To the original poster...thanks for starting it.
However I have to say, the whole MMA thing...it just seems like an excuse for men who love other men to get nearly naked and lie on top of each other.
It never looks like there is any skill involved, these guys look like they spend too much time doing weights and taking care of their tan. They always show poor cardio fitness in the fights, and nine out of ten times it ends up with the guy on top trying to kiss the other guy on the bottom, while he for his part desperately tries to french kiss him.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   

You seem to think that a fight going to the ground means it's a sport.

There are a number of statistics that say 80-90% of fights go to the ground. It has nothing to do with a sport. And anyone can use their animal instincts to bite / claw / use a make shift weapon--it simply doesn't change my arguement. Strawman fallacy.

sport
no thats not exactly what is said, there is your fallacy
mats.... thats a sport
grappling in the ring...thats a sport

don't know about statistics
my experience has been someone hits the ground all right...
grappling...maybe as a side line
considering how many fights start and end with a sucker punch I don't know where you got your numbers from

one person getting pounded on the ground is not grappling...
people who study matrial arts as a sport just don't do very well against a street fighter...
But its your life and limb you are betting
so make sure what ever you choose...is worth it.

In a bar we don't generally hit people
if they are too rambunctious we bounce them off of things to avoid the legalities...
they can grapple with the cops when they wake up...
being the one that swung means they get charged...

edit on 9-7-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-7-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Listen to the Kron-meister on this one:

The best style is one you create yourself

Standard Western Boxing works very well for stand up, throw in a bit of Muay Thai and your good to go in that respect. BJJ will teach you grappling and your ground game, Krav Maga style training will add the realistic element.

On top of the above, I'd recommend Wing Chun/JKD, Judo, Aikido, Ninjutsu and anything else you can get your hands on.

Basically, learn the traditional fight sets and their associated arts then add as much as you please. Become extremely proficient in the basics of stand up fighting, in-fighting, out-fighting and grappling/ground fighting, then once you have that mastered start incorporating different arts or their techniques into the mix.

There is no such thing as a "complete" fighter, someone will always beat you one way or another - There's an element of luck to every fight in my opinion i.e. who fires the first strike, who spots that the crap is about to hit the fan first, who is prepared to go that little bit longer or nastier etc

Learn the basics and learn them well, make sure you add variety into your training and always start a workout on something which you don't do very well. I've seen too many people practice what they are best at first in a training session because it makes them feel like they achieved, what's the point in nailing a heavy bag with your perfect straight right if you have a terrible left jab? Get me...?

Realistic training also is a must, I'm not saying try to kill your sparring partner but you have to incorporate role play to a degree, create scenarios and work them in the gym, ask your "opponent" to think of a realistic situation and then get cracking

HTH

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14   >>

join