It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: No More Concessions to Kidnappers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 09:39 PM
link   
In a briefing Wednesday, the US led coalition said there will be no more concessions to kidnappers in Iraq. After recent concessions, the coalition felt it was important to show a united front in an effort to show that they will not cave to kidnappers' demands.

www.reuters.com
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S.-led military coalition in Iraq vowed not to make any more concessions to kidnappers after the Philippines withdrew its troops to release a hostage, the United States said on Wednesday.

In an effort to present a united front against a wave of kidnappings, the United States issued a policy statement that it said was supported by the coalition hoping to send a message to hostage-takers they would not win their demands.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This only brings questions to my mind on why would they release the statement now? Why would they not issue this type of statement months ago when the kidnappings started? To issue this now seems meaningless as the kidnappers have already been successful in gaining concessions. What impact do you think this will have? Why would they release this now?

[edit on 8/4/04 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I would guess that those countries, such as (and maybe only) the US that have major pull in this operation are threatening other countries in the Coalition of the Willing with some kind of sactions if they succumb to the wishes of terrorists/insurgents/militiants/whatever. This is no crack on them (the US) either, I just think they made things a bit more formalized now. Just my 2 cents.

phaedrus

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I do not think that this statement will stop the taking of hostages, nor do I think it will stop countries with only a small force there agreeing to terms to have hostages released.

Its all good and well saying we will not do anything to get the release of hostages, but wouldn't you do something if it was your family member taken hostage?

new topics

join