It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gill Scott Heron "Godfather of Rap" Music passes on

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
slatest.slate.com...

Before the capitalists and sharks of the music industry usurped artists putting poetry to music, there was the great Gill Scott Heron, perhaps the first artist to do it, with his powerful poetic, beautiful, and artistic work. His rap was about real world problems and issues of poor people.

This brother from the REAL hood never rapped about gangsters and hoes, but about justice and freedom for all in America. Yet his insightful poetry attached to music was many feel the beginning of Rap music.

His work never degraded people, like the modern gangster rap, but uplifted and educated people as well as entertained.

May he rest in peace!

edit on 28-5-2011 by inforeal because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
loved the man...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Before artists were exploited? Common man that's weak.

Gil Scott Heron was a great artist and musician. I MADE my kids listen to his lryics just to piss off my wife when they were young. It worked.

I don't know about the Father Of Rap..

He was an inspiration to me and my family..in spite of my wifes wishes.

Look at his players on his albums... Hubert and Ronnie Laws, Ron Carter, Jack DeJohnette.... and so it goes......

I wish I could have met him.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
extremely sad at this passing...another brave soldier moves on....I am surprized that he lived as long as he did...but his music will go on and on and on and on and on.....

RIP Mr. Heron

top topics

join