It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2011 now deadliest year for tornadoes since 1950

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

2011 now deadliest year for tornadoes since 1950

news.yahoo.com

This year is now the deadliest year for tornadoes since 1950.

That's based on an assessment of figures from the National Weather Service. City officials in Joplin, Mo., raised the death toll on Saturday from last week's massive twister to 139. That puts the total for the year at 520.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

The Joplin tornado was an EF5 storm packing 200 mph winds. More than 900 people were injured.

That is a whole lot of wind force.

There have been doom and gloom predictions and a lot of pointing to our industrizied civilization creating the conditions for disaster, but these weather conditions appear to be more cyclical than anything when looking for a reason behind them.

I might think we are living with a higher population density that would bring about higher figures for deaths and injuries. The other side of the coin might suggest our building codes are now stronger and protect our people better, but engineers say we just can't make our homes tornado-proof.

Nothing new under the sun, just the same old weather patterns coming around again. Some 70 years later we are back again to where we were. Global warming or cooling seems not to be playing a role in this. We just have to reckon with the weather whatever it may bring. Seems there is nothing we can do to change it.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 28-5-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
200mph is a SICK amount of wind force. I really feel for all of the people directly effected by all of this. Unfortunately it's still early in the season but hopefully they can all catch a break and start the rebuilding process.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I wonder what they people of 1950 thought. Did they think that the world was going to end then?

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Authenticated

Probably. My Grandma (who is 77 tomorrow) and I were laughing about not being raptured last Saturday and she said she remembers being very young and her Mom gathered all the kids in a room and they all covered their heads with blankets because it was so dark during the day that they thought the world was ending. It was a full solar eclipse, hahahaha. The world is always ending it seems.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Ya know, I survived one tornado in my time so far here in Northeastern Pennsylvania... but the last two weeks have been some of the worst storms I've ever experienced: A huge storm with devastating 100 mph winds and hail the size of baseballs smashing car windows... not good.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

I have not seen an actual comprehensive study in regards to all the information they spew around. Deadliest season since blah blah. In those days they didn't have any type of warning system you knew there was a tornado when yopu saw it or got blown away. I would like to see how many F5 any given day in comparison to= I would like to see facts on the amount of homes and cars destroyed compared to = I can remember around 1974 when there were over 70 tornados on one night in Kentucky area. However most of them were arbout F1 or F2. I have been watching tornados and living in tornado alleys for 60 years and I have never seen anything like what we are experiencing. SO before anyone tells me oh its always been this way I would like to see some actually data. I know I have never seen anything come close to this.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by redrose123
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

I have not seen an actual comprehensive study in regards to all the information they spew around. Deadliest season since blah blah. In those days they didn't have any type of warning system you knew there was a tornado when yopu saw it or got blown away. I would like to see how many F5 any given day in comparison to= I would like to see facts on the amount of homes and cars destroyed compared to = I can remember around 1974 when there were over 70 tornados on one night in Kentucky area. However most of them were arbout F1 or F2. I have been watching tornados and living in tornado alleys for 60 years and I have never seen anything like what we are experiencing. SO before anyone tells me oh its always been this way I would like to see some actually data. I know I have never seen anything come close to this.

In the very short article this came from it states that before 1950 there have been worse storms, worse seasons, but that the kind of records were not kept then as now. If your 60 years in tornado alley refers to your age then you were either very young or not yet born when weather like this was last seen. To suggest it has happened before is not to play-down what is going on today, this year will be one for the books for sure.

If my perspective on this seems flawed that is for a very good reason. Although I am almost 60 I spent almost my whole life on the beaches of southern California where extreme weather meant it got down into the 30's overnight and we saw some frost on the grass when we left for school (rare), or that the temperature actually got up into the 90's during the summer. Now that I live in the highlands of Mexico things are a bit more extreme. Spring is our hottest time of year and we are having a heatwave right now. It almost got up to 100 yesterday! I think we actually hit freezing over night in the winter sometimes.

That is just the reality of my perspective. I certainly don't expect to understand what you are going through I just know it is worse than anything I have ever experienced by several-fold. When the Spaniards came to the Americas I believe they grabbed-up the best real estate. I certainly wish you well. Que te vaya bien.

new topics

top topics

join