It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

COD4

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Anyone remember the countless hours spent (not wasted) on COD4? The maps played were NEVER boring and you hardly ever wanted to skip one. It was fair, balanced and fun.

I only hope that future COD games will match COD4.

(BTW I'm saying all this because I missed it so much I hopped on today and played some search, which was amazing).

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Elsek

Oh how I miss playing that game.

I played it late last year on the PS3 and some of the players had hacked the system, so things were rather interesting. As you said, some cracking maps and things were pretty balanced overall.

COD4 Yeaahh!!!

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elsek
Anyone remember the countless hours spent (not wasted) on COD4? The maps played were NEVER boring and you hardly ever wanted to skip one. It was fair, balanced and fun.

(BTW I'm saying all this because I missed it so much I hopped on today and played some search, which was amazing).

Definitely, me and a mate played it a few weeks ago and It's so much better than BLOPS..... why did they have to start making such crap maps?

All the maps on COD4 were great and with Shipment, Vacant and Crash.... you had 3 of the best ever maps on any COD game.

Is was so much more playable.

I also think the fact that it revolutionised the FPS genre and was literally the best FPS game ever made probably helps too.

I miss COD4..... I sold my copy a while ago but my mate still has it.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Only huge flaw was no host migration....and they still cant seem to be able to fix it.

And shipment was pure joy. Nothing but fun!

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Elsek

Ima give you a flag n star for the CoD bit, but you have no idea how much i hated Call of Duty Modern Warfare, and i'll tell you and everyone else why. : )

I'm from back in the day of CoD 1 and 2, with CoD2 being the best game ever, no messing about, bolts only for those who know the score, no perks n crap like that, just true skill.

IW, ruined things by jumping straight into the modern warfare scene, instead of doing what Treyarch thankfully done. Treyacrh went through the stages of building up to modern warfare in a nice slow pace, with CoD3, world at war and now black ops.

I hate IW, they sold out the PC players and ruined the games. I only hope Treyarch will keep up the pace, at least they listen to the PC gamers. Really peeved me off, you know, the PC gamers are what helped build CoD into what it is today. Now i have a 360 and Ps3 (Ps3 my fav) But its the PC fan base that built this series, and now the PC users get forgotten.

Bottom line is, im glad you like CoD4, but you havn't really played until you play the first 2 online on your PC. Anyone reading, go give it a try before its gone. I used to love modding and making maps on the early games

Great post OP, glad i got to have a rant at the same time.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I didn't even get Black Ops as I didn't have much free time when it came out. I'm glad I didn't. I played MW1 into the ground, and I still Play MW2 and don't get tired of it.

I might have to get MW3 in November, though, if I'm not too busy. It'll be nice to try out some new weapons.
edit on 5/28/2011 by scojak because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Call of Duty is dead. All hail Battlefield 3.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
unreal tournament 2004 foreverrrr

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I agree and i'm hoping that COD MW3 will bring back some of the COD greatness that has only been seen on COD4.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Mactire

I'm sorry but Call of Duty is not "dead".

(Dead??I think not)

Now you may not like Call of Duty which is completely understandable but to classify it as dead is ridiculous.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Elsek

Game sales equals business success, not game success.
However, to be more fair I'll change my claim to:
"not dead, but terminally ill".
I don't know a single person who liked the last 2 installments of the franchise.
Meanwhile, everyone is flocking to Bad Company 2 right now
in anticipation of Battlefield 3.

Superior game, superior physics,
just an overall more hardcore experience.

Nobody likes a camper. In Battlefield, we just "remove" the campsite.

edit on 28-5-2011 by Mactire because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Mactire

I'll be getting BF3 for sure, but COD dead??

I think not....

The trailer premiered tonight during the Champions League final and me and all my mates just sat there with dropped jaws....

Not sure if this is the same... looks awesome though.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Its pretty. Call of Duty is always pretty, but when you're actually playing it, that's the big difference. I've played, and enjoyed COD. I tend to prefer the campaign offline mode because its more cinematic, but I seldom have that needed "Holy $h!t" moment while playing it. Everytime I sit down to play BF:BC2 I have one of these every few minutes. Playing today [BC2], I sniped a chopper out of the air, which then crashed into the building I was squatting in, collapsing the building as I lept from the balcony. I never get those epic moments playing COD.
Another favorite is earning a sniper kill from a mile away, having to account for a significant bullet drop. A kill so far away you can barely see you've hit anything at all, and need to rely on the point announcement to confirm the hit. Always puts a smile on my face

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Mactire

It's true and I agree that the interactive, destructible environment in BC is amazing....I always said if you could mix the 2 together, COD & BF, then you'd have the perfect game.

As I said, I'll be getting both and I do actually like both.

Battlefield is without a doubt the more realistic, more in depth, more immersive game.... but COD is still a great game and is extremely playable and addictive.

I tried playing Medal of Honour because everyone was raving about it.... but the mutiplayer/online mode was awful... and the campaign was not very slick, it was jerky and not that great.

Battlefield and Call of Duty are the best FPS games available on the market, and they're different enough to warrant buying both.

After playing the single player campaign for the hours/weeks, if the multiplayer games isn't up to scratch then it isn't worth it.... The game has to have longevity and the only way this is possible is through the online game.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Cod is to easy

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elsek

What ruined the COD series were boosters and quick scopers.

I have been around the block with all hosts of FPS game and I can attest to competing when there were none of these morons. They will whine and cry trying to convince everyone that quickscoping takes skill when all it takes is jumping around like an energizer bunny with a one shot kill weapon at close range. Quckscopers at a range are just lucky. If you take all of the compilation videos on YouTube and show how many failed attempts were made to get that one successful shot, you would have an easy ration of 20:1.

Boosters are a new phenominon, since the advent of perks, noobs have found ways to cheat the system without actually cheating. It ruins the game for everyone else, gives them false credit for poor gameplay and in the end generally pisses off the entire room.

Why not just keep the days of Battlefield 1942 + Vietnam, COD 1 +2, the ORIGINAL Counter Strike, Tribes, Soldier of Fortune 2, etc. etc.? Because games evolve and so do noobs.

It's just unfortunate that the developers who work so hard to make their games look pretty have them ripped to shreds by morons not playing the game as intended. Black Ops tried to quell some of this, but instead ended up running into many problems along the way, mainly because the system has been broken for so long it's hard to fix it right the first time.

I remember FPS games where you weren't even allowed to JUMP, now THOSE were challenging matches.

King

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Regarding COD Black Ops.

I was angry when they decided not to allow open server files for everyone. I mean allowing G.S. as a company to only host the servers was a pure fail. Lets face it, its my money so i choose who and how to spend it..right..? , or is this something of the past. By trying to herd the gamers like cattle is simply ridiculous.
edit on 11-6-2011 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join