It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seafood Lovers.. Are You Getting What You Pay For?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Before you dine on your next seafood dinner, take some time to read this alarming report on how corrupt and possibly dangerous the seafood producers represent their products...

Tests Reveal Mislabeling of Fish

Scientists aiming their gene sequencers at commercial seafood are discovering rampant labeling fraud in supermarket coolers and restaurant tables: cheap fish is often substituted for expensive fillets, and overfished species are passed off as fish whose numbers are plentiful.

Yellowtail stands in for mahi-mahi. Nile perch is labeled as shark, and tilapia may be the Meryl Streep of seafood, capable of playing almost any role.

Recent studies by researchers in North America and Europe harnessing the new techniques have consistently found that 20 to 25 percent of the seafood products they check are fraudulently identified, fish geneticists say.

Be sure to also check out this pdf report from Oceana...

Bait and Switch PDF Report

Guess the only way to be sure about it.. is to grab your fishing rod and catch your own.. not a bad idea

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
In truth, with all the mess caused by Fukishima and TEPCO, not to mention BP's fuki-up...
Salt Water fish is quickly falling off my menu.

Not that I am a big fan of fresh water fish, namely due to the lack of clean water to catch them in.

M.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
ahhhh man, guess I will not be eatting seafood for some time now......thanks for the post and info too.....

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

im not a huge fish person, but even i find this alamring, this should be illegal if it isnt already. just the dam companies ripping off people again

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Most people who eat seafood can often tell what fish they're eating by appearance and texture, but if you only shop for seafood occasionally, you may not be able to tell what it is, especially with white fish. I've heard about this happening a year or two ago. I suppose they've always been doing it.
There's a restaurant I frequent at lunch time where I sometimes like to buy fish & chips, and fish burritos. Recently the owner decided that the halibut was too expensive, so he substituted it with a cheaper fish. Although I was warned by the server that this happened, I decided to try it anyway. "How different could it be?" I thought. The result was less than palatable. It changed the taste of the food by a large margin, even though all the other ingredients were the same. Needless to say I won't be having that off the menu anymore.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   

I would'nt touch seafood, regardless of what it is, with a ten foot barge poll anymore!

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5

I would'nt touch seafood, regardless of what it is, with a ten foot barge poll anymore!

You want to see what they do with some of the meat that used to breath air!

Sea food aint all that bad, the sea does a good job of breaking down and distributing toxins, maybe better than the air the cows breath if they are say near a motorway.

I'm goin fishing tommorow near a fairly busy navel base and shipping area, they have had a couple of whopsie moments with the coolent changes of the nuke powered subs
I'm hoping for a makeral or 2 for my tea

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Never touch the stuff

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

I avoid fillet cut fish for a very similar reason. I'll scale and fillet it myself if possible. I love sea food of all types except Squid and or Octopus
[I know I know] people keep saying I hadn't had it prepared properly etc. Trust me I've tried it over a half dozen times from different locations.

I can honestly say it's getting more expensive and the portions are getting smaller. I used to love this particular Chinese food place in China town in L.A. from my younger years. Recently I went back 17 years later and ordered my old favorite shrimp dish, they served the same meal but this time it was twice as expensive and the Shrimp were no longer jumbos but tiny popcorn sized

I read someplace online a while back that oftentimes some description of content was legally allowed to fudge the details which when I read it [ A few Years ago] I made the decision then to purchase whole fish etc when it was available.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Only way to do it is catch your own.
Luckily, living by the sea my whole life has enabled me to do just that.
Nothing better than catching fish and prepping and cooking it yourself. Only way to guarantee that what you are getting is the genuine article!
Especially scallops,.. my absolute favorite

I'm not surprised that different types of fish are being passed of as others. I'll only order fish in the local restaurant beside my home as I know who their source is.
Apart from that, not going to chance it.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
There's a lot of this going on in SA, as the traditional fish stocks are dwindling.
Most of the fish we used to enjoy are now on the red list, and the corrupt ANC has dished out fishing quotas to foreign fleets.
A lot of the fish we still do get is imported; mainly shellfish farmed in Asia.
Some of the things I've heard about are shark and Patagonian toothfish, which are sold as Butterfish and calamari steaks.
Why they are not simply honest is beyond me.
One seafood franchise sells a line fish called "Nile Perch", or sometimes "Nile Basa". Nobody here is familiar with the fish.
Actually it's Vietnamese catfish, from very suspect rivers in Asia.
Most customers think it's an ocean fish, when it's actually a bottom-feeder without scales.
Apparently it's even banned in some countries.

I recently had a look at a packet of crab-sticks.
I can't recall exactly what's all in them, but I distinctly remember that they contained no crab whatsoever.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Sorry mate but after the Gulf of Mexico leak and Japan's radiation leak.........

I've now gone off my beloved seafood.

And I would also like to add....I am now avoiding any type of food imported from Asian, Europe, Japan, USA and Canada like the plague.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
This kind of thing does not suprise me in the least. People will always pass off something crap as a better item for the money; its called greed.

I only like a bit of lightly smoked salmon and its quite expensive to buy for 3 of us.

Im in the right place to catch it myself (well short of a few miles) but I dont fish nor will I pay money to stand in water and cast a frikkin fly all day long and then try to smoke the damned thing.

Oh well my ability to buy oily fish is dwindling faster and faster as the prices continue to rise, at least what I buy I know is salmon apart from that time im sure it was trout

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Ficargul

I also like my salmon......only if it's from Tasmania. But I do like the Canadian sardines and now I won't touch them.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Thanks for the article.

I only buy my seafood from local fishermen so i just hope and trust they deliver me fresh fish

If you want to know what you are eating, the only way is to catch and grow it yourself.

I've thrown that surimi salade, a long time ago, away

star for the octopus lover

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I buy my lobster, live, right off the boat that caught it. One of the perks of living in the maritimes

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
A favorite trick *some* restaurants use, is to substitute stamped pieces of skate wings for scallops. Many people can't really tell the difference in taste. If you are having any questions about your order of scallops - look to see how "perfectly" circular they are are - especially the edges. This really doesn't happen with true scallops - but happens each and every time with stamped (cut) pieces of a substitute.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
i love sushi and it makes me angry that i might be ripped off i will have to ponder the solution

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I've been in the food and beverage business all my life and this is nothing new. Thanks for posting it though, more people should know.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I tell you one thing when you go to a place like Snoopies down in Corpus Christe and sit down and enjoy a massive plate of shrimp the size of a freaking car caught that day and sometimes that hour, nothing get's better. I don't care if it's lobster or crab, or even the most expensive caviar in the world, that is my seafood heaven.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join