It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Camouflage by Joe Haldeman

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I was researching the Antikythera mechanism

en.wikipedia.org...

It was recovered in 1900–1901 from the Antikythera wreck...significance and complexity were not understood until decades later... time of construction is now estimated between 150 and 100 BC.
The degree of mechanical sophistication is comparable to a 19th century Swiss clock. Technological artifacts of similar complexity and workmanship did not reappear until the 14th century

And came across this book. CAMOUFLAGE by Joe Haldeman.
Was wondering if anyone on ATS has read it or are familiar with the author, Joe Haldeman who also wrote The Forever War. I think this is the same guy who accused Letterman of sleeping with his wife!

CAMOUFLAGE by Joe Haldeman

Synopsis: An unidentified artifact, found seven miles below the surface of the sea, stumps the scientists examining it but calls out to the two immortal creatures who have wandered the Earth for centuries, never crossing paths until now.

Description: Two aliens have wandered Earth for centuries. The Changeling has survived by adapting the forms of many different organisms. The Chameleon destroys anything or anyone that threatens it. Now, a sunken relic that holds the key to their origins calls to them to take them home--but the Chameleon has decided there's only room for one.

It sounds great.

Haldeman, Joe - en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Same here too

"But to get anything close to the Antikythera Mechanism's sophistication you have to wait until the fourteenth century, when mechanical clockwork appeared all over western Europe."

Very interesting.

Nature Weekly
In search of lost time
www.nature.com...
edit on 28/5/11 by EnigmaAgent because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

I'll tell you this, I've read the Forever War about 4 times, it's easily the best space sci-fi novel ever written. I'll check this out, thanks.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Ive read pretty much everything Haldeman has written...used to exchange Emails with him when he was at Harvard but lost touch....a very smart man....he wrote one on Hemmingway thats great....that thing was xrayed and built into a complex computer for navigation...way before its time....when Haldeman was living in Fla,after coing home from Vietnam,he was ridning his bike down the street and some nutjob gangbanger shot him off the bike for no reason...hes got so much metal in him he sets off airport metal detectors....

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant
I was researching the Antikythera mechanism

en.wikipedia.org...

It was recovered in 1900–1901 from the Antikythera wreck...significance and complexity were not understood until decades later... time of construction is now estimated between 150 and 100 BC.
The degree of mechanical sophistication is comparable to a 19th century Swiss clock. Technological artifacts of similar complexity and workmanship did not reappear until the 14th century

And came across this book. CAMOUFLAGE by Joe Haldeman.
Was wondering if anyone on ATS has read it or are familiar with the author, Joe Haldeman who also wrote The Forever War. I think this is the same guy who accused Letterman of sleeping with his wife!

CAMOUFLAGE by Joe Haldeman

Synopsis: An unidentified artifact, found seven miles below the surface of the sea, stumps the scientists examining it but calls out to the two immortal creatures who have wandered the Earth for centuries, never crossing paths until now.

Description: Two aliens have wandered Earth for centuries. The Changeling has survived by adapting the forms of many different organisms. The Chameleon destroys anything or anyone that threatens it. Now, a sunken relic that holds the key to their origins calls to them to take them home--but the Chameleon has decided there's only room for one.

It sounds great.

Haldeman, Joe - en.wikipedia.org...

I know Halderman's books quite well - Mandella1099

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Homedawg
Ive read pretty much everything Haldeman has written...used to exchange Emails with him when he was at Harvard but lost touch....a very smart man....he wrote one on Hemmingway thats great....that thing was xrayed and built into a complex computer for navigation...way before its time....when Haldeman was living in Fla,after coing home from Vietnam,he was ridning his bike down the street and some nutjob gangbanger shot him off the bike for no reason...hes got so much metal in him he sets off airport metal detectors....

This is very cool. I'll check out that book. I hope he lived after the shooting and what a pity. Makes you wonder what sort of malignancy we have spreading out in our towns.

new topics

top topics

join