It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

''Planking'' - WTF

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Planking (Fad)

Planking is the act of lying face down with arms to the sides of the body, in unusual public spaces and photographing it.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d46cb3739e6a.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6521807ca676.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dfe6fe4f8270.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fefbf4444ec3.jpg[/atsimg]

Hi All,

Yes this is a rant and so i have placed this is the rant forum! I could have turned this into some type of mass conitioning consipracy thread but i think the truth is much simpler.

What the hell is it the makes people do such stupid things, especially when there was a recent death in Australia of a young guy that was drunk trying to ''plank'' from a 14 story building......

The Australian

Man plunges to his death from unit balcony while taking part in the craze of 'planking'

A NEW internet craze known as "planking" has claimed the life of a man who died when he plunged from a Brisbane balcony, police believe.
Planking involves participants lying flat on their stomach in different and sometimes dangerous settings and sharing photos of their efforts with fellow plankers on Facebook or other social media sites.

It has gone viral in recent weeks with the Facebook page Planking Australia boasting almost 10,000 fans and hundreds of photos of people lying on train tracks, escalators, fire hydrants, motorbikes, and other objects.

The craze prompted police warnings last week after the arrest of a 20-year-old Gladstone man discovered planking on a police car.

Police today said their fears had been realised with the death of a man attempting the new fad.

Shortly before 4.30am, a man in his early 20s plummeted from a unit block in Main Street, in inner city Kangaroo Point, and died at the scene.

I am sure there are much more important things for people to focus there time on then pulling stupid stunts like this.

edit on 28-5-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I plank in my bed every night

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
If ya don't like it, ya dont gots sta look!

Simple.

Or are ya just wanting to grrrrrrr??

edit on 28/5/2011 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

yeah pretty much it... jst having a rant

Although the fact i am ranting about it, does that mean i'm getting old...

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Havick007
What the hell is it the makes people do such stupid things

Yeah, its just a silly trend,
but dogs are even doing it now...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f401bbc3531b.jpg[/atsimg]

edit - some people havnt quite got the hang of it yet.
yur doin it wrong...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b7d4db8b3817.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 28-5-2011 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Wow the things people will do for attention, while some of the pictures are funny, mostly I think it's just a new way for morons to possibly take themselves out of the gene pool. Let them have at it, is what I say. My big question is why do people have to copy everything they see on tv or the net?

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

HAhaha...

Hey lets beat this guy up..

(points to the poster who posted after me about the dog)

GET ''EM!!!

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Kids these days...

Every generation comes up with their own nitwittery for entertainment.
edit on 28-5-2011 by Schkeptick because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Havick007

What the hell is it the makes people do such stupid things, especially when there was a recent death in Australia of a young guy that was drunk trying to ''plank'' from a 14 story building......

edit on 28-5-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

This is Darwinism at its best. Let the Untermensch kill themselves.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Hahaha, that has to be the dumbest thing ever! I would beat my kids if they did something so stupid. And I dont even spank!
We used to get a 3-4-10$ and laugh our azz off.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Planking can be pretty funny, but as with anything else one does in this world, it should be done with some common sense. Not everyone tries to plank high up railings. I've seen hilarious pictures of people doing it, and none of them in particularly dangerous locations. Sure, it's completely silly and pointless, but it's good for a laugh. It's just gotten a bad reputation lately because that chap died, and another man is in a coma after falling whilst planking the boot of a moving car - which is simply taking it too far I think. I admit I'm guilty of the occasional plank myself. I know I'm an idiot, and I'm totally okay with that.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
That's what I feel like when I see our future.

I think we are all "Planked"...

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I had just heard of this a week ago.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I cannot seem to comprehend the reasoning behind it. As far as I can tell, the ONLY purpose is to try and make a "cooler" picture than your Facebook friends. In this day and age, when EVERYTHING can be photoshopped easily, why is this just now becoming popular? It would make more sense to me, if this was 1995.

Our species just continues to get smarter every day.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Sort of a modern day Flat Stanley!

en.wikipedia.org...
People are weird is the moral to this story!
And don't say you remember Flat Stanley or you'll be giving away your age.

Many people do not know Flat Stanley is actually George and Laura Bush's youngest child.
Dimensionally handicapped they keep him out of the public eye, but here's a rare photo of the family together.
You see the resemblance to his father is quite striking when they stand together like this.

You might think this is pretty funny but Flat Stan is going to run for President one day and he's sure to do a better job than most of the recent Presidents we've had.

edit on 28-5-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
This is just one fad in a chain of many fads that have come and gone. Polesitting, Phonebooth Stuffing, Parkour, Performance Art, Candid Camera.... etc..

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by SireFurious
This is just one fad in a chain of many fads that have come and gone. Polesitting, Phonebooth Stuffing, Parkour, Performance Art, Candid Camera.... etc..

I do not know this for a fact, but I have never heard of people dying while squeezing into a phonebooth, or while on Candid Camera. I don't even know what some of those others are, that you mentioned, but have many people died while attempting them?

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Man... planks mean something totally different to me.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf
If ya don't like it, ya dont gots sta look!

Simple.

Or are ya just wanting to grrrrrrr??

You're missing the point, which is that kids have been killed or injured, here in New Zealand, and next door in Australia.
OK, you can say "Darwin Awards", better they remove themselves from the gene pool, but even so, some fads deserve to be stomped out.

top topics

join