It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


A look at the The Shag Harbor UFO Incident.

page: 1

log in


posted on May, 28 2011 @ 09:55 AM
[Size=5]The Shag Harbor Incident

I am someone who loves UFO/Alien stuff having had a few of my own experiences over the years so I thought I would share this story I saw a while back. The reason I found this fascinating was because of the sheer amount of evidence, eye witnesses , news reports and documentation from both public and military. Other than Roswell this one a pretty big thing

Shag Harbor was a UFO incident that happened in 1967, it is claimed that a UFO crashed at shag harbor a small fishing village in Nova Scotia., and has been deemed as one of the most bizarre cases of all time.
This small fishing community was so unknown and small that no map ever had its location before this incident occurred, but the locals held many tales of seeing ghost ships and giant sea monsters but the incident in 1967 stayed with them as one of the most bizarre and controversial in the world.

The incident in questioned happened on October 4th 1967 just before 11:30pm. A variety of witnesses saw a low flying object approximately 60ft long with 4-5 glowing lights, the object appeared to be flyinh at an angle and head down into Shag Harbour, on the southwestern tip of Nova Scotia, Canada. Strange whistleing sounds were heard by multiple witnesses just before they heard a very loud *woosh* sound and then a loud bang. Thinking they had witnessed a plane crash the mounted police were called into investigate, it took the police only 15 minutes to reach the scene, there were the 3 mounties as well as multiple witnesses and they al observed a yellowish or white lighting bobbing in the water aproximtly 300 yards offshore.

Assembling a rescue mission with the help of local fishermen, they were speeding to the crash site within the hour. However nothing was found, all that they could see was a thick, oily, glittering, yellow foam about 80 feet wide and half a mile long. The fisherman said they had never seen anything like it. It was not normal sea foam. Bubbles were coming up from below as if something had recently sunk and there was the smell of sulfur.

Taken from Source is the below

After several hours of searching nothing was found and the search was called off at approximately 3:00 am. Both the NORAD and the Rescue Coordination Center in Halifax had been contacted by the RCMP and found that there had been no reports that evening of missing aircraft, either civilian or military.

On October 5th (the following day), the Rescue Coordination Center filed a report with the Canadian Forces Headquarters in Ottawa. This report stated that something had crashed into the water in Shag Harbor, but the object was of "unknown origin." The Canadian Forces Headquarters dispatched the HMCS Granby to Shag Harbor crash site, and using advanced detection equipment and specially trained divers from the Navy and the RCMP, the Canadian military systematically searched the sea floor for several days, and found nothing.

Another site depicts Source

Two days after the crash, RCC had assembled a team of Navy divers, who for the next three days combed the bottom of the harbor looking for the object. One local fisherman said he saw them bringing up aluminum-colored metal debris, although it was unclear if this had been actual crash debris. The final report, e.g., said not a trace of the crash object had been found.

Evidence from various military and civilian witnesses also emerged of a highly secretive military search involving a small flotilla of U.S. and Canadian ships about 30 miles to the NE of Shag Harbour near Shelburne, site of a supersecret submarine detection base. According to one military witness, he was briefed that the object had been originally picked up on radar coming out of Siberia. After crashing in Shag Harbour, it traveled underwater up the coast and came to rest on top of the submarine magnetic detection grid near Shelburne. The ships were anchored there for a week, apparently in an attempt to recover the object. A barge was hurriedly brought in on which to place the object, with a likely cover story printed in local newspapers to explain its presence there.

Many photographs were taken by divers and some foam-like debris brought up. One talkative diver stated that the object wasn't from planet Earth. Another military witness claimed that there were actually two objects, one perhaps trying to assist the other.

After a week, the fleet departed to chase an intruding Russian submarine. In the meantime, the object or objects disappeared. A seemingly identical UFO was then seen by witnesses to depart from Woods Harbour, only half a mile from Shag Harbour.

The incident was not however completely isolated there were several reports both before and after this one

There had been numerous UFO sightings in eastern Canada and southwestern Nova Scotia in the hours leading up to the crash. However, the reports are scattered in times and locations. In some cases a single object was reported; in other cases multiple objects. Thus it is not clear whether these various UFO events were directly connected with the Shag Harbour crash object. However, it can be said there was a very high concentration of strange lights maneuvering in the skies of southwestern Nova Scotia on the night of Oct. 4, 1967. In the end, the primary investigators concluded from various evidence that more than one object may have been involved in the crash.

Below from the same source are a variety of reports from up to 4 hours BEFORE the main incident occurred

The reports began at least 4 hours before the crash around 7:20 p.m. when two airline pilots near Montreal, nearly 400 miles west of Shag Harbour, reported two large explosions near a glowing, orange, rectangular object trailed by a string of lights. The trailing lights broke formation and danced around the glowing explosion clouds.

The first report from the Halifax, N.S. area, about 150 miles NE of Shag Harbour, began at around 7:50 p.m., followed by another one about 40 miles SW of Halifax at around 8:30, and about 10 miles further SW at around 10:45.

At 10:00, numerous witnesses in the Halifax/Dartmouth N.S. area saw a glowing, orange-red ball 40-60 feet in diameter floating slowly along the harbor coastline. One of these witnesses was Chris Styles, age 12, who came within 100 feet of the object. 26 years later, Styles was to resurrect the Shag Harbour case and become its principle investigator.

At about 9:00 p.m., a fishing boat near Halifax, N.S., spotted three bright red lights near the horizon to the NE and four solid objects on ship's radar (3 not visible) forming a square pattern 6 miles on a side. At around 11:00 p.m., one of the red lights rose straight up in the air and passed over the boat, taking it in the general direction of Shag Harbour to the SW. The captain later filed a report with the RCMP thinking his ship's sighting might be connected with the reported search for the crash object at Shag Harbour.

By around 11:00 p.m., the UFO reports had shifted from the Atlantic southeastern side of Nova Scotia to the northwestern Bay of Fundy area. The last of these reports came from a herring fleet and observers on shore. The objects again departed in the direction of Shag Harbour, perhaps just prior to the crash at around 11:20 p.m.

So something was defiantly going on that night.

UFO sightings before the crash

Below are maps showing were the other UFO’s were sites please visit the links to see the reports.

SOURCE For pre-crash reports

Initial Crash incident reports

The official shag harmor search, the military serach and the lighthouse mans strange story

If you look through the reports there it shows you newspaper reports, photocopies of the incident reports,

Please look at the following links
Cover stories and debunkery, Missing documents, Documents that were found

News Articles about the crash
From above link

Copies of official documents
Example from above

Something was in my opinion anyway being covered up in regards to this incident, was it alien? A military excesise?, cover up? Who knows. Some more info from another source:

In interviews with divers, and crew members from the HMCS Granby they discovered some startling information. The object that dove into the waters off of Shag Harbor had been tracked, and it had actually traveled underwater for a distance of about 25 miles to a place called Government Point. In the 1960’s the U.S. had maintained a small but technically advanced military base at Government Point, managing a Magnetic Anomaly Detection system (MAD grid) for the purpose of detecting and tracking submarines in the North Atlantic using .

The U.S. military had most definitely detected the object on its sensitive tracking equipment. Naval vessels were dispatched and positioned over the unidentified object, where it had stopped. After 3 days of no movement, and not knowing exactly what it was, the military was planning to initiate an investigative salvage operation. As the Navy waited and planned, the detection equipment picked up another object moving in, and to the amazement of all those involved, joined the first object on the ocean floor. The speculation at the time, was that the second UFO (I guess officially now an Underwater Flying Object) was there to render aid to the first object.

So according to these reports there was a 2nd object that moved into *help the first*and they both moved along the ocean floor at great speeds.

Under the cover of this new activity on the surface, both UFOs made their move, accelerating underwater toward the Gulf of Maine. The remaining Navy vessels pursued them toward the United States, but the objects continued to distance themselves from their trackers. To the astonishment of the pursuers, both of the objects broke to the surface and shot skyward to vanish within seconds.

According to the researchers, while these observations were well corroborated by many credible eye witnesses, these accounts were given "Off the Record" by military, ex-military, and civilian personnel who fear harassment, ridicule, or loss of pension. So as the saying goes, "only the names have been changed to protect the innocent."


Very strange indeed. And even to this day this is still deemed to be something that cannot be fully explained.

Other sources
source 1
Source 2
source 3

edit on 28/5/11 by ronishia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:13 AM
reply to post by ronishia

Great research for an unexplained case!

A variety of witnesses

Do you know if there was separated eye-witnesses for the main observation?


edit on 28-5-2011 by elevenaugust because: spelling

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:20 AM
reply to post by elevenaugust

i do know that there were many people present that watched it coming out of the sky into the ocean, this as well a a policeman in another part of the town who was already on his way to investiagte before the villagers called it in.

im sure i linked to the reports in my OP if not

Chronology of Oct 4, 1967 Sightings:

(Nova Scotia Atlantic Daylight Time
unless otherwise specified)

7:15pm EDT
(8:15pm ADT)

Two pilots by the names of Pierre Charbeneau (Captain) and Robert Ralph (First Officer) were flying Air Canada flight 305 at 12,000 feet over Quebec, between Sherbrooke and St.Jean (approx. 870 miles from Shag Harbour). They reported seeing a bright light that was "bigger and brighter than surrounding stars", with six smaller lights behind it. They said the smaller lights looked to them like a tail to the bright light, similar to a kite. SOURCE: a letter in the files of the Department of National Defence, UAR/N67/063. And a document in the files of the Department of National Defence, UAR/N67/001-066.
7:19pm EDT
(8:19pm ADT)

The bright light then grew into a big reddish-orange ball. The Captain described it as a "large explosion orange in color and circular in shape surrounded by dark blue". The First Officer described it as a large red "fireball" that turned violet in color. It then turned into a pale blue cloud. SOURCE: same two sources as 7:15pm EDT.
7:21 or 7:31pm EDT
(8:21 or 8:31pm ADT) - also more reports there


Going forward, if you post something that is not 100% your own writing or work you must use the EX TAG, post NO MORE THAN 10% of the original (or three paragraphs, whichever is least), and GIVE A LINK TO THE SOURCE MATERIAL. If the work you are posting is not on the internet, from a book for example, you MUST give a credit for that Book ( the title), its Author and Publisher.

edit on May 28th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: edited excessive c&p

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:35 AM
I've always found this case interesting due to the amount of witnesses and the fact the navy turned up looking for it.
But I suppose we'll never know what it was

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:57 AM
Well researched existing thread HERE.

Also if you use SEARCH there are tons of threads on this.


top topics

log in