It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boy arrested for murder after police shoot and kill his friend.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Making a presumption that he didn't shoot anyone isn't in question. He has been charged with Murder or either under the Felony Murder rule. (Source)

Does this rule extend to the point where the defendant may be charged under it for being merely a participant to the crime?

Because his friend pulled the gun on the police and was shot and killed because of it, does it mean that he was a participant to that crime?

That is what they will be determining in court for that particular.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Hello, all! This is my first post although I have often come to this site for a few years now. This article gave me a lot of mixed feelings so I felt I would finally weigh in. I do feel I understand the law as it is meant to be understood in this scenario. Where I am lost, however, is here - They say someone must be responsible for the murder. The autopsy report shows the kid was shot in the back. I feel this falls more on the cops decision making than the 16 year olds. If a cop fires a gun over-aggressively or too soon can the cop be held accountable, or can they just still pin it as murder to the 16 year old regardless of a cop's poor decision making? In addition, with the idea of it being the cop's responisbility aside, if someone must be responsible for the 15 year old's death, why would they not put it on the 15 year old himself? It seems to me that shooting at the cops would result in the, "suicide by cop" scenario, before homicide. If that is the case, it was a suicide, not a homicde. I do understand a get-away driver being pinned to robbing a bank as much as the robbers in the bank, but I do not see how anyone can pin the actions of one man with one gun to the actions of another individual. I know I'm analyzing quite a bit, but I feel there is a lot of grey area. Keep in mind there is an enormous difference between an arrest for murder and a conviction for murder! - I guess we will just have to see if it sticks!

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Twenty2wo
I feel this falls more on the cops decision making than the 16 year olds.

The cop did not make the decision to commit a crime.

There would have been no cop activity if the crime was not being committed.

That's how I look at it.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
How to commit suicide by shooting yourself in the back!

PS, the authors example is self defense, the vid above is murder.
edit on 28-5-2011 by westrock2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by MJZoo

Originally posted by lifeform11

Originally posted by pplrnuts
Dont be a criminal and stuff like this wouldnt happen.

Yes?

by the sounds of it you don't need to be a criminal. you see your buddy from school and offer him a lift, you are stopped by the police and your buddy pulls a gun, the police shoot and kill him and charge you with murder.

what do you not understand about the fact that they committed ARMED ROBBERY. he was charged with murder because someone died during a CRIME being committed, that he was involved in. either read and understand the situation or sit in the corner with your dunce cap on.

i take it you disagree with my scenerio. but the driver was helping and driving a wanted criminal who just stole from a shop about 20 minutes earlier. however i was telling the story from the prespective of the innocent person who has now been charged with murder and will have a hard time convincing the police that he was not helping him even though they were very good friends and he knew the guy who got shot very well.

i get everything about it to the point that it can convict people of a crime they did not commit, especially if we justify it by saying, well they were commiting a crime.

a couple of guys that go out to shoplift, should'nt do it, but only have an intention of shoplifting, if their buddy goes crazy and runs at police and gets shot, then how can the others be charged with murder when they never had any intentions whatsoever of killing anyone and never commited an act to kill anyone.

i believe there should be an extra charge, but not for murder.
if the criminal act led to somebody else being killed other than the criminals themselves then i would agree with the murder charge. but it sounds like it is law anyway, regardless of what anybody thinks. i just think it is wrong.
you obviously disagree which is fine, but i think there are better ways to disagree rather than use tactics to imply that if i disagree i must be dumb.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by westrock2000
How to commit suicide by shooting yourself in the back!

PS, the authors example is self defense, the vid above is murder.
edit on 28-5-2011 by westrock2000 because: (no reason given)

so surely in that scenerio all the police who were present should of been charged with murder/manslaughter to.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by lifeform11
so surely in that scenerio all the police who were present should of been charged with murder/manslaughter to.

No apprently only the guy in handcuffs lying on the ground 10 feet away would be guilty of murder if I am understanding this logic correctly.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
was the cop wrong yes he shot the kid in back that is straight up felony murder they are trying to throw blame off cop and city

edit on 28-5-2011 by proteus33 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by westrock2000

yes your right. sorry i was assuming the police were in the wrong. but they stopped and cuffed what they thought were criminals, so the guy next to him was in on whatever they did wrong and would be charged with murder.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
man there is no balance, its all extreme

i would be ok with accessory to murder and he was involved in it

but he never attempted or tried to murder anyone

he didnt pull the gun

he didnt pull the trigger

he didnt kill anyone, his actions didnt directly kill anyone

but he was in on the situation, so accessory to murder

we need more realism in this world

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
The laws in the USA are just absurd. I feel so bad for this kid, he is just a boy and probably has never had a chance in life. To top it off, his friend is dead and he has to live with that. My friends just got put in jail for robbing an abandoned house and the cops don't even know who the owner is and didn't find any evidence at all on them, just seen them fleeing the house. This girl I'm friends with, her older brothers been in jail for 2 years awaiting a trial for robbing the taxi man with a bb gun. To make matters worse, if you were to apply all the laws in this country at once they would cancel each other out and you'd be in a stalemate. What is going on?

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Here is Illinois' murder laws

Beware. It is a hard read, and quite convoluted.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

That's how I look at it.

You look at it in a very oversimplified manor.

There would be no cop activity if taggers did not commit their crimes. Does this mean the police should be able to shoot any taggers in the back they come across and this would be just?

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
this also opens the door for police to shot whoever they want and pin murder charges on the other criminals who never had any intention of killing anybody even though what they were doing was wrong. i think it is dangerous for police to know if they shot one of them the others will be going away for a long time. especially if they are dealing with people they would love to see go away for a long time. it could make them a little more trigger happy looking for an excuse to shoot rather than capture or defuse a situation.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Azp420

Shoot one, and hang the others on murder charges.

#ing brilliant

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by lifeform11

And what is equally disturbing is the number of people who support this style of judge jury and executioner policing.

reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

Haha yeah and plant a gun on the one they shot. The world is becoming increasingly dangerous..

edit on 28-5-2011 by Azp420 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Azp420
reply to post by Annee

That's how I look at it.

You look at it in a very oversimplified manor.

There would be no cop activity if taggers did not commit their crimes. Does this mean the police should be able to shoot any taggers in the back they come across and this would be just?

Are we talking charges or convictions? It hasn't gone to court yet - has it?

EVERY shooting has an extensive investigation. If anything is found wrong in the internal investigation - - that is a separate issue.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by PURPLEMAN
The laws in the USA are just absurd. I feel so bad for this kid, he is just a boy and probably has never had a chance in life.

Life is choices.

You choose to commit an armed robbery - - you are NOT a kid.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

So do all these NOT kids get to vote and purchase cigarettes and alcohol?

Why would they not be allowed to vote if they are capable of making informed and intelligent decisions?

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

your right, he should be charged for armed robbery, i think everybody would agree and i don't think anybody is excusing him for doing that.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join