It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama's Bradley Manning Gaffe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   

It was a throwaway line at the end of a fundraiser. But it's fitting that in the Wikileaks era, President Obama was being video recorded when he told a questioner in San Francisco last month that U.S. army private Bradley Manning, who is charged with leaking classified documents to Wikileaks, "broke the law." Now attorneys supporting Manning, 23, have seized on that comment to argue that Obama has prejudiced Manning's court-martial and that charges against Pfc. Bradley should be thrown out. Read more: battleland.blogs.time.com...

I thought the president of america would no better than to publicly interfere with a case. Bradley Manning is yet to be found guilty, to date it is unknown if he has broken the law. This case is heavily bias and there have been international calls regarding his treatment in a military prison. I hope he is released, the man is a true hero and should be given a peace prize. Not held in prison and tortured.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ead5dd59aa8a.jpg[/atsimg]

"President Obama is the Commander-in-chief," Kevin Zeese, an attorney with the Bradley Manning Support Network told a teleconference for reporters held today to mark the one-year anniversary of Manning's arrest and imprisonment. "The only way the military can claim there is no undue influence in this case would be a charade--[it would be] officers claiming they are not [listening to] their Commander-in-chief. The military courts have held over and over that if undue influence can be proven the case should be dropped." Zeese added that he performed a google search with "Obama, Manning and guilty" and found 1.5 million hits on April 24, the day after Obama's remarks hit the internet, suggesting that Obama's comments went viral and were thus unavoidable. Read more: battleland.blogs.time.com...

It seems that in this day and age people can either be above or below the law. Anyone who breaks the law should be entitled to a far trial. The law is paramount for modern society to be able to function correctly...

kx

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Well Obama is right that Manning broke the law..

We're just not sure which one or if we'll have to make up a new one and charge him retrospectively..

But don't worry, he will be charged.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

We're just not sure which one or if we'll have to make up a new one and charge him retrospectively..

It is for a court of law to decide wether mannings broke the law or not. We live in bad times when politcians interfere with the due process of law..

kx

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   

It is for a court of law to decide wether mannings broke the law or not. We live in bad times when politcians interfere with the due process of law..

Really??
I thought he'd be tried in a military court..Not quite the same thing..

Look our Aussie David Hicks..
He was convicted of a crime that wasn't even written into law at the time of the "so called" offense..

And the US calls it a "Justice System" ???

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Hey Purplemer, great to see and hear from you again.

The idea of Biasing is for civilian based courts, not military tribunals.
And, if within a civilian court, say the Governor made the statement, then the push for a mistrial is not valid, because the trial has not started. Now, the defense could petition for a change of venue, and would more then likely be granted and any judge worth anything would move to suppress portions of the prosecutions statements.

There are no grounds for a dismissal for any reason other then personal emotion.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

kx

I agree with the article in the OP that this statement by Obama prejudices Manning's case.

However, we DO live in bad times and politicians interfere with or totally ignore the law all the time.

That is why all these Mafia Gangsters have to be relieved of their posts asap.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Really??
I thought he'd be tried in a military court..Not quite the same thing..

Look our Aussie David Hicks..
He was convicted of a crime that wasn't even written into law at the time of the "so called" offense..

And the US calls it a "Justice System" ???

Fair point i dont understand the law system that well. I thought a military court was still a court of law,just a different set of laws. I dont get how people can be convicted for crimes that dont exist when they commit the act. The same thing happened over here in uk with the computer hacker Gary McKinnon who is now fighting extadition to american for crimes that did not exist at the time of the act. It is messed up.
You are probably right mannings will more than likely be convicted, although I hope not..

kx

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Mate, Justice died years ago..

I hope you realize my first post was partial sarcasm..

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
....I thought the president of america would no better than to publicly interfere with a case...

This made me laugh. Obama has publicly commented on MANY things that no previous president would have gotten tangled up in. He even spoke up in defense of Michael Vick.

There's no class in the current white house, sadly.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Mate, Justice died years ago..

I hope you realize my first post was partial sarcasm..

I did after a couple of reads... thank you for reply..

kx

top topics

join