It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Policeman jailed for seriously assualting a man walks free next day.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
This is my very first thread so i hope i've got the right forum. I also did a search and didn't find anything covering this story.
This has been in the news here in Ireland this week and it seriously disgusts me. Hope i can manage to post the link correctly! If not can someone tell me how to?
www.irishtimes.com...

So from the jist of this, it's ok to beat a man senseless, breaking bones in his face and get away with it scot free if you're a policeman. Letting him off with it because the copper would have a difficult time in prison, aww the poor guy!!!!!
Like i said before, this totally disgusts me!
What do you think?

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
It is how these governments operate.

They excuse their own. Why? To make many more join them. Governments are at war with their people these days.

The same thing happens in Iran and other oppressive regions, the governments (promise to) pay the poor saps well enough. They tell them that if they bash a civilian or two they won't be charged as it is their DUTY. They offer them a place to live, extra financial incentives etc. etc.

Go ahead, Westerner. Ridicule and talk # about other regimes without taking a reflective approach to your own and you will experience the same if not worse in time.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
The rule of law died a painful death. That's what I know. It's now just a husk, it keeps up the appearance of a justice system, but it's hollow. There is no justice anymore, the only justice left is that which is dealt by the people amongst themselves.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
does any one have any info where a cop have gone to jail?

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Themanwithnoname

Disturbing article. I wish they gave details as to why this took place. We don't know if the victim was doing a bad crime or if it was a drunken brawl or who knows. They mention the Police man was off-duty.

Here in my area of NJ/USA police will participate and assist in duties even if they are off-duty. Coast to coast, they are also fond of delivering excessive beatings too.

Bad news like this makes it harder on everyone. I have learned to never call for police, ever. Things go wrong all too often when someone is seeking help.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by LargeFries

Sorry, forgot to mention why it happened. The copper and his brother were on a night out and the victim allegedly told the brother the shirt he was wearing was "a gay shirt". Don't know why they didn't mention it in the article. Man, even if he told him his shirt was gay and that he was a dickhead or something it still doesn't justify what he did.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Every ounce of common sense says that anyone in law enforcement should face tougher penalties for violating the trust the public placed in them.

But in every single case the penalties are much less than any non-law enforcement affiliated individual would incur if there are penalties at all.

So either the system is excusing them of their actions because they are "above the law" or the system is excusing them of their actions because they understand that the personality, training and work of law-enforcement is tailored to a sick individual or making a non-sick individual sick and they feel it is at least in part their fault for making the individual behave in such a way and a lenient punishment is their way of admitting fault and attempting to apologize.

Whichever it is it has to stop.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Themanwithnoname

Sorry, forgot to mention why it happened. The copper and his brother were on a night out and the victim allegedly told the brother the shirt he was wearing was "a gay shirt". Don't know why they didn't mention it in the article. Man, even if he told him his shirt was gay and that he was a dickhead or something it still doesn't justify what he did.

Well, well, well, I was wondering what the reasons were that caused this confrontation. Funny how that article completely LEFT OUT the fact that the victim was being a smart-azz and started the whole confirmation (if it is in fact true).

If you are a wise-azz to strangers out in public, the possibility of such a situation is very likely. If you dont wish to be in such a situation, you mind your business and dont be a wise-azz in public to strangers. Its simple really.

edit on 28-5-2011 by pplrnuts because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Every ounce of common sense says that anyone in law enforcement should face tougher penalties for violating the trust the public placed in them.

But in every single case the penalties are much less than any non-law enforcement affiliated individual would incur if there are penalties at all.

So either the system is excusing them of their actions because they are "above the law" or the system is excusing them of their actions because they understand that the personality, training and work of law-enforcement is tailored to a sick individual or making a non-sick individual sick and they feel it is at least in part their fault for making the individual behave in such a way and a lenient punishment is their way of admitting fault and attempting to apologize.

Whichever it is it has to stop.

I dropped out of Police Foundations because the first instructor we had said, in these exact words:

"You are not here to help people, you are here to write tickets and preform arrests. To the majority of the population, you are the 'bad guy'. "...

Now that I look back, they totally weeded out all the genuine aspiring officers with that one line.

Tyrants will be tyrants.
edit on 28-5-2011 by TheOrangeBrood because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Themanwithnoname

Letting him off with it because the copper would have a difficult time in prison, aww the poor guy!!!!!

Well maybe it's time to ditch that excuse and open prisons just for Cops and corrupt Government officials etc..

Hell, it would be full within days..

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by pplrnuts

Well, well, well, I was wondering what the reasons were that caused this confrontation. Funny how that article completely LEFT OUT the fact that the victim was being a smart-azz and started the whole confirmation (if it is in fact true).

If you are a wise-azz to strangers out in public, the possibility of such a situation is very likely. If you dont wish to be in such a situation, you mind your business and dont be a wise-azz in public to strangers. Its simple really.

edit on 28-5-2011 by pplrnuts because: (no reason given)

And if you don't you deserve to get beaten to a pulp, right? Wrong.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
This is a really disturbing story. It just shows that the police and juduiciary really do think themselves above the rest of the 'common' people and are unwilling to face or hand out the punishment that any other person in the same situation would receive.
A previous poster has stated that the victim in this did start the confrontation, and while that is obviously true, I don't think that it was any excuse for this policeman to beat him to a pulp!
In my opinion, police officers should actually receive more harsh sentences as they are supposed to be here to protect people.
But I can't see anything changing anytime soon!

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Aha!.....Now that's a really good idea. Seriously. It probably wouldn't be very big but it doesn't need to be, just somewhere to put all these poor coppers(tongue firmly in cheek), etc.
Perfect solution.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Letting him off with it because the copper would have a difficult time in prison, aww the poor guy!!!!!

With that logic they'd have to let off child rapists or prison population racial minorities or anyone not affiliated with a gang or affiliated with the less populous gang.

Just about every person going into prison is going to have a "hard time" unless they're already of some criminal renown.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zamini
It is how these governments operate.

They excuse their own. Why? To make many more join them. Governments are at war with their people these days.

The same thing happens in Iran and other oppressive regions, the governments (promise to) pay the poor saps well enough. They tell them that if they bash a civilian or two they won't be charged as it is their DUTY. They offer them a place to live, extra financial incentives etc. etc.

Go ahead, Westerner. Ridicule and talk # about other regimes without taking a reflective approach to your own and you will experience the same if not worse in time.

Nah, you're right. We westerners have been manipulated to believe our Gov are for the ppl, even after they lie, steal from from us, beat us, jail us, or kill us. I do believe many are waking up. Revolutions & protests will no longer be a thing we read about or see on TV.

Former USN & I do not support the USA & it's allies
edit on 28-5-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Thank you for your follow-up reply. I agree, verbal abuse, whether it is a quick wise-arse comment or an hour of yelling back & forth, is not permission to touch someone. This is sickening. Evidently this poor excuse for a police person feels its okay to use his advanced 'hurt people bad' training wherever he sees fit. And the judge/court backed that up 100%.

This madness is becoming more commonplace around the globe. And what adds to it on a regular basis is the never-ending influx of young, cocky men with personal problems who want to lord power over others. It can take a while for some people to mature. Perhaps this wanna-be boxer will one day actually turn out to be a good copper, years from now, when he finally calms down and grows up.

Meanwhile we are all exposed to young inexperienced gun-toting badge wearers that are not necessarily fit for their position. People are victimized because of them, a few of them will quit law enforcement or be fired from their positions, and others will take their place.

Sadly, in the USA, the ones that are fired for their incompetence only have to go and apply for the same job in a different community. Since they are experienced ( HA! ) they have a good chance of being hired again. it's as pathetic as the RC Church covering up for men of the cloth molesting youngsters.

top topics

join