It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This weather can't be normal

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
We're on pace to the deadliest tornado year in history, seems like every day there's another destructive tornado in the midwest, storms every day are becoming more and more severe. How is this normal?

Last night, there was a big storm in the Baltimore, MD area (where i live). It had crazy cloud lightening and was very powerful. I tried to capture some pics and video to show just how powerful this storm was. I've lived in the area my entire life and have never seen anything like it.

Here's the video, edited down from 10 minutes of footage and slowed down.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
That sure is powerful!

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by joshint
That sure is powerful!

That's what i thought! I've never seen anything like it.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Love the video . Must have been an awesome display.
I have to agree that the weather does seem to be getting more bizarre year on year.
Maybe it is the norm and just part of a bigger cycle that we havn't witnessed before.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
We do seem to be experiencing more and more extreme weather. And it's all over the world. Everything moves in cycles. I wouldn't be surprised if the global weather patterns were moving to the more extreme end of the spectrum.

The last two years here (uk) have seen some of the coldest, snowiest, winters for decades. There is talk of a mini ice-age approaching the northern hemisphere. (good for snowsports
)

Other parts of the world have seen biblical floods and heat waves. It's all connected. I don't subscribe to the govt's inducing the weather, or global warming. Our influence as a species is minute at best. Remember, it's action and reaction. One extreme event can set off another, and another, and another. And it's all driven by planetary cycles and solar influences.

Ebb and flow.

So to answer your question, yes it is normal weather, we just haven't seen prolonged periods of this type of weather before. (not in my lifetime anyway)

Time will only tell if the trend is set to continue, or if it's just a flare up.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Powerful weather events have happened all through out the Earth's history. They happen whether people are around or not. They have occurred before we came about, and I'm sure they will happen well after we are gone. It's part of the human condition, giving "human" qualities to the inanimate. With modern technology, and today's media, it is easy to hear about all kinds of natural disasters, that 100 years ago you would never hear about unless you were a local.

Like the sound of one hand clapping, if a F5 tornado touches down in an uninhabited area, is it still HARP related?

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Maybe it's because we are nearing 2012. The best prediction from the 2012 theory is worst weather.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Yesterday I heard a bit of a news report (I think on Fox news) about in 10 years that Chicago will have the same climate as Louisiana? I just caught a portion of it, so if anyone knows what I'm talking about, please let me know.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

I know what you mean. I have a step father that is exstremly pig headed. We debate all the time, about this sort of stuff. He would say, theres always been big storms, tornadoes, hurracaines, etc.
But my argument is. 2011 has had the biggest hurracaine's in Aussie in decades. Massive floods that caused inland tusami's, also in Aussie. A fault line turn up here in christchurch know one knew about before our big quake. Europeans have been here in NZ for almost 200 years. And theres been know signs of these faults going off before. Not to mention all the other quakes around the world. Then Japan. 9.1 That moved the earth off its axis. And also now the american mid west disaters. Tornado season has just started. And the death toll is already over 500. Missisippi, flooding passed what its done in the past. My heart goes out to those affectted by those tornadoes by the way. So sad.
Anway, my step father would just say, we have always had earthquakes. Always had floods. Always had tornadoes. Always had hurricanes. Always had volcanoes.

BUT COME ON. ALL THIS IN THE SAME YEAR. AND ITS ONLY THE FIFTH MONTH.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Why can't the weather be normal? How do you define 'normal'? Weather, by its nature, is always producing surprises. And this is the height of the 'tornado season'. What do you expect? Weeks of varied clouds, moderate winds and the occasional shower?

Though I concede that for a good many years some scientists have been saying that we should expect an increase in extreme weather events as a consequence of global warming. Maybe they were right?

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Out of interest, lets look at some the weather stories from May 2010:

Nashville submerged after deadly storms

Freak weather hits south of France

Death toll rises as rainstorms devastate southern China

Oklahoma tornadoes: two upgraded from EF3 to EF4

Scores die in relentless heatwave

Floods kill 6 as rain batters Europe

Oklahoma City is pummelled in freak spring storm

Cyclone Lalia kills 23 in southern India

Heavy rain causes flooding across NSW

Tornadoes wreak havoc in eastern Germany

Poland flood toll at 18

Just a selection of stories posted here

And of course there was also the little matter of a certain volcanic eruption in Iceland.

Yes, there have been many more severe tornadoes in the US this month, but in my estimation, globally May 2011 has been fairly quiet in terms of extreme weather events compared with last year.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

It's funny isn't it? People always say things like "WOW I've never seen/known whether like this before" and yet every year we get the same kind of things happening.

Even if not every year, then even once a decade... whatever, these things ALWAYS happen and probably always will.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I do agree the weather this year seems to be extra violent but you have to be careful when you say "deadliest in history " It should actually be deadliest in RECORDED history. which, in reality, isn't a very long time.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Yep, and one of the reasons I set up my weather news blog in June 2009 - to provide a ready resource for looking back at extreme weather events over past years. There's obviously a UK bias to it, but I think I pick up most of the main stories from around the world.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
While that lightning storm doesn't seam that peculiar to us here in the Midwest, it may be so in MD.

On top of record tornado activity, we have increased drought, records levels of rain in the Midwest, and earthquake activity.

Please review the noaa.gov website listed below and check the timeline data for somewhat shocking results!!

www.ncdc.noaa.gov...

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Im not a 100% sure about that.
Here in Ohio, we've probably seen the sun about 25 times this year.
Not to mention the worst amount of rainfall in over a hundred years.
Hell, farming has even been pushed back by about a month here due to the weather.

Like it or not, weather patterns this year are more extreme than years past.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
i agree

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I agree with the op to a certain extent. I'm leaning more towards I have never experienced storms that behaved like the ones happening now. I was at the park just off the Detroit River a few days ago and It rained so hard it was amazing. The sky was cloudy, but there appeared to be a storm within a storm going on. Weird I know it's hard to explain, but I'll try.
Ok it was raining steady, but then a set of darker clouds started approaching which was actutally another storm passing with even heavier rain. After those set of rain clouds passed it was still raining. Not normal but maybe only in our lifetime.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Teeky

Was that Wednesday? I'm from Kalamazoo and it was a freaking DOWNPOUR. It looked like it was night time out and it was raining so hard it didnt even look like rain anymore.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
WOW looks like normal lightning to me, what is so strange about this

Sorry one line...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join