It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Why a Silly Question - When there just Is?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
We spend most of our lives asking "why" only to receive answers that are either discomforting or confronting, only to realise that those answers are one of a myriad of answers to essentially the same question. That is, a question has so many complex answers, that there is no definitive idea, there is no actual "reason" and the only reasons that we construct in our minds are what is the fabric of our self expression as an individual - that is to say, we are born of a "why" and our answers to those questions are what forms, what is.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Isn't 'there just is' one of those many answers though? Honestly I'd rather have an answer that tries to make sense, rather than 'there just is'. That's like when you ask you're mom or dad something, and their answer is "Because I said so."

Also, it seems that "there just is" is the answer to 'how', not 'why'.

ETA: Forgive me if I'm not talking about what you are talking about. I'm not sure I fully understood what you are trying to say.
edit on 5/28/2011 by scojak because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Why is the most important question there is.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by SystemResistor
We spend most of our lives asking "why" only to receive answers that are either discomforting or confronting, only to realise that those answers are one of a myriad of answers to essentially the same question. That is, a question has so many complex answers, that there is no definitive idea, there is no actual "reason" and the only reasons that we construct in our minds are what is the fabric of our self expression as an individual - that is to say, we are born of a "why" and our answers to those questions are what forms, what is.

I think the main reason that there is a "myriad of answers" is because in reality there is a myriad of questions. While the question is always asked in more or less the same fashion...i.e.: "why", the truth is nearly everyone who asks that question means something slightly different by it. This is why you (for instance) may be satisfied with an answer like "there just is", while someone else might find that answer completely unfulfilling to what it is they are truly trying to figure out.....The question "why" when applied to oneself or one's self existence is generally indicative that the person asking the question is trying to discover something about themselves, and how they themselves relate to the world around them. The question is generally invisibly loaded with assumptions about the world, and a lifetime of emotional baggage carried by the person asking it....therefore it's quite a rare thing that any two questions of this sort have the same answer.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
There's nothing wrong with asking "why". It keeps the mind searching, propels us forward and helps us learn from the past. However, sometimes there is no real answer to that question. Or at least not one we can be sure of.

The problems come when we start making up answers just because we feel uncomfortable not knowing the answers. For example, 'Why are we here'? That's a question that may or may not have an answer other than "we just are"... Assigning answers and becoming attached to them as 'truth' is where things get weird.

Many times, for me, the lack of an answer is the most freeing thing. We don't need to know the reason for everything. And sometimes we cannot know. And that's OK. It can be very empowering to say, "What is... is" and leave it at that.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
It's hard to explain because human beings are detectives, constanly searching for answers and the meaning of things. People just want to know the meaning of things that are intriguing to them. I think that there are so many unaswered question, and that is why there will be always a "why".

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
If we never asked why, we wouldn't have pondered on such golden oldies such as:

"Why should I stop staring at the sun?"
"Why does my hand burn when I stick it in fire?"
"Why do the ladies in my cave tribe get mad when I try to mate with them while they are sleeping?"
"Why does Grog get all the shiny rocks when we are the ones digging them up?"
"Why do my cave-buddies die when I hold them underwater?"
"Why does my belly hurt when I eat poop?"

-later-

"Why are there new age people still staring at the sun?"
"Why do people still burn themselves on hot surfaces?"
"Why does my wife get mad when I try to mate with her in her sleep?"
"Why does Mr. Big Bank get all the money when we are the ones producing it?"
"Why do my friends still not know how to swim?"
"Why does my belly hurt when I eat Monsanto food?"

See? We have to keep asking because the answers rarely change our behavior.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
When the question is why, then it's important to eliminate the answers that present additional questions.

Q. Why do people do what they do?

A. Because they have free will and can do what they want.

Q. Okay, fair enough. Then, why does anything do what it does.

A. Generally what's alive does what it does so it will continue to live. To survive, or at least to procreate/replicate.

Q. But why do some people choose to damage themselves intentionally? It seems as if this debunks the survival theory.

A. People aren't like other living things.

Q. Then why do most of them struggle to survive, even as these same people continue to do things that threaten that survival?

A. Humans have souls and spirits. They are unique.

Q. Do these souls cause them to destroy their bodies?

A. No. Not actually. It's the carnal/bestial side of them that causes them to make bad choices.

Q. But if that's true, then why don't other carnal beast do things that threaten their own survival?

A. ..................................That's just the way it is.

Q. Why is that the way it is?

A. .................................

If your answers launch new questions, then both the question and the answer are too far up the causal chain to be useful to the establishment of clarity and real understanding.
edit on 5/29/2011 by NorEaster because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I like to think that there is a final answer for every question.
The minute you start to question something, anything , you open a miriad of doorways . Each doorway will set you on the path to enlightement and I'm not talking spiritual enlightenment here , but just general enlightenment on any given subject .
You choose the path to follow . There might have been a path that will get you to enlightement a lot sooner , had you chosen it , but eventually every path will lead you there .

Peace and enlightenment to all

new topics

top topics

join