It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New NASA footage gets a little spacey

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
And I thought ocean motion sickness was bad....

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
You can see the plume from the shuttle.. that is the only thing I noticed.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Too bad there was not a camera on the main tank. Wonder what kind of footage it would have transmitted before it burned up on re-entry.
Space must have messed up the mics because only the last one had sound at splash down. I guess microphones were never meant for space. That was some great footage.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by reesie45
What is that at 17:22?

I think that is a chuck of un-burned fuel. You can see flare ups of un-burned fuel in some of the other footage of looking back toward the nozzle.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Yep. This explanation is closest to the mark. It's the sound of a large hollow cylinder during re-entry.

Did you ever put a large conch shell up to your ear to "hear" the ocean? Same principal.

There's a wonderful sound toy put out by Edmund Scientific and others that is a simple hollow tube with a long spring attached to one end. When you shake the tube or wiggle the long spring the tube emits all these loud eerie sounds that, guess what: sounds almost identical to the noises coming from this video feed!

Sorry to pop anyone's balloon, but if you ask ANY engineer or astronaut my guess is you will get the same benign answer. Eerie, spooky sounds are just that: sounds. Our feeble, often ignorant little human brains simply make a vain attempt to identify the sounds with something - anything - we might be familiar with. In the absence of such familiarity, the brain then tries to "assign" an explanation to satisfy our curiosity (and perfectly natural, expected, fear of the unknown).

Does not putting your ear to shell for the first time and "hearing the ocean" give you pause, make you wonder as a child (or adult) where the sound is coming from, how it could be emanating from the shell, etc.? Of course it does -and so it does. All that means is that you are a curious, natural, human being.

By the way - this is meant as NO criticism whatsoever, especially to the OP. I loved hearing the sounds too. Actually, once it is know what the sound are, it is almost just as fascinating and captivating, imaging myself with my ear against this giant hollow tube falling through space back to Earth!

So THANK YOU, OP! We love these clips! Keep them coming! If it wasn't for your insight and courtesy in taking the time to post - many of us perhaps would never had the privilege of experiencing them for ourselves.

Good job
...and: Keep Looking Up!
edit on 5/28/2011 by Outrageo because: url

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rekrul
obviously that camera didn't just pop into space. what you see is the rockets and the transport shooting off as it drops parts of its loads. the earth is warping because of the fish eyed lens the camera has equipped. i don't see any unnatural phenomenon if thats what you're asking.

I don't think anybody is claiming it to be something other-worldly or anything like that. Even the NASA site claims it is spooky and strange. It's just cool and spooky. Good enough reason to be stoked about it.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
it looks like a piece of the endevour that is falling back to earth. it sounds as if around the 16 minute mark the piece hits the far upper atmosphere and the speed of the fall creates a moaning/groaning in the matter of the atmosphere. these noises are not heard in the vacuum of space because there is no matter to create friction on the sides of the piece. you also notice that the rotation speeds up at about the same time, this is because the matter of the atmosphere is grapping onto the non aerodynamic edges and sides causing the piece to spin seeming uncontrollably. this is also y you see the use of the expelled gasses around 16-18 minutes. they are attempting to reduce spin using the thrusters. there is really nothing strange about this video other that the lack of control that seems to be taking place. as an example, have you ever heard the moans/groans of a storm that is quickly moving into the area or the wail of a tornadoes wind.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Outrageo
reply to post by SLAYER69

Did you ever put a large conch shell up to your ear to "hear" the ocean? Same principal.

: url

edit on 28-5-2011 by DarkSarcasm because: this is not the same principle, when you put a konch shell up to your ear you are hearing the echo of the movement of blood and fluids throughout your body. these noises are created not by echo but by friction.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
haha im terrible with these forum posts, look at what ive done. my bad.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by reesie45
What is that at 17:22?

Good eyes. That's Arthur C. Clarke's invention. It's an elevator to space for the Elites.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Great! Now I'm gonna have dreams of falling from space into the ocean. Hopefully my 'chutes will open

Awesome video nonetheless. Definitely worth the time spent watching it.

So where do we go from here?

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSarcasm
it looks like a piece of the endevour that is falling back to earth. it sounds as if around the 16 minute mark the piece hits the far upper atmosphere and the speed of the fall creates a moaning/groaning in the matter of the atmosphere. these noises are not heard in the vacuum of space because there is no matter to create friction on the sides of the piece. you also notice that the rotation speeds up at about the same time, this is because the matter of the atmosphere is grapping onto the non aerodynamic edges and sides causing the piece to spin seeming uncontrollably. this is also y you see the use of the expelled gasses around 16-18 minutes. they are attempting to reduce spin using the thrusters. there is really nothing strange about this video other that the lack of control that seems to be taking place. as an example, have you ever heard the moans/groans of a storm that is quickly moving into the area or the wail of a tornadoes wind.

"these noises are not heard in the vacuum of space because there is no matter to create friction on the sides of the piece"
Also because there is no air to carry sound..

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Make a fortune figuring out how to get space tourists a ride up and then down on that puppy! Loved the video

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Rexamus

Breathtaking. Thanks OP. S&F

I need see this again in HD and think about some things I saw and heard.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
why i can`t see any link?

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyAnonymous
Wow.. I don't have a clue as to what that might be..

Could it maybe have something to do with a discharge of waste material?

WOW.. totally weird..! Can you imagine having to work or sleep with that sound up there?

I've never heard anything like that before except for Sound designer effects in a production studio..

"discharge of waste material?"
"Can you imagine having to work or sleep with that sound up there?"

Are you trying to be funny or are you drunk?
I don't think they do any sleep or work inside rocket boosters that is being ejected from the shuttle at lunch...

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Pretty much the same sounds are heard in the footage from Discovery's boosters-nothing out of the ordinary.....

Audio starts at 14:51:

I posted this video awhile back on this site but apparently nobody saw it.....
edit on 28-5-2011 by Skippy1138 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

sound in space ?

there is no air in space how is that possible sound in space in real life (as opposed to stupid hollywood movies) ?

someone tells me the camera is inside endeavour thanks

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
That was some of the best footage I've ever seen. It's amazing how quickly those boosters fall back to the earth once they are ejected from the shuttle. There's some good samples to be had at the 16:30 mark, to bad they are in mono though; they kind of sound like something I could make using an audio application called Reaktor 5.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Many of the sounds have already been used or duplicated, as well as the general feeling of the video in the movie "2001 a Space Odyssey" Makes you think twice what Stanley Kubrick may have known, intuited or was given the special privlidge of seeing ???

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join