It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you people not know how to read, or are you that self absorbed?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I'm sure this has probably been said before, but I can't help myself, It's so annoying!! It needs to be repeated!!!

On occasion, I’ll read an OP and make a gut reaction reply, and note that I haven't read the thread. Usually, I READ. I spend soooo much time reading because half of the people here don't. I get so tired of reading reply after reply that say the same thing, or ask questions that have all ready been answered numerous times.

What is it? Why don't these people read? Because they're in a hurry? If your in a hurry, read it later!!
Do they think after 10 or 20 pages of replies, they are probably saying something that hasn't been said 10 or 20 times??? Or do they think they have come up with a question that is so intelligent that no could have already answered it??

Just Read, OK!!

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
ok

sorry

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightSunshine

Perhaps what is happening to others is what has happened to me several times. I'll be thinking I'm going to be early on in a thread because there are little to no posted replies.

Before I'm finished typing the wife might have dropped in to comment on something so on common courtesy I'll stop pecking at the keyboard and give her my attention. Or our dog strolls in and gives me the little tail wag that is the equivalent of her saying "I really got to go, Dad". I figure it must suck to have to get someone to bring you outside to answer the call so I stop typing for a dog break.

Then I read my writing and do not notice a typo until activating the 'reply' box & I have to make a correction.

By the time I'm done my contribution pops up on Page 4 and three other people have left near identical posts. Happens to me, happens to others too. Thats my theory.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by LargeFries

funny! Yes, that happens to everyone i guess. But not on pages 10 through 20. I think a alot of people just want to put in their 2 cents. Instead of agreeing with a post, and staring it, they say the exact same thing!!

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightSunshine
I'm sure this has probably been said before, but I can't help myself, It's so annoying!! It needs to be repeated!!!

On occasion, I’ll read an OP and make a gut reaction reply, and note that I haven't read the thread. Usually, I READ. I spend soooo much time reading because half of the people here don't. I get so tired of reading reply after reply that say the same thing, or ask questions that have all ready been answered numerous times.

What is it? Why don't these people read? Because they're in a hurry? If your in a hurry, read it later!!
Do they think after 10 or 20 pages of replies, they are probably saying something that hasn't been said 10 or 20 times??? Or do they think they have come up with a question that is so intelligent that no could have already answered it??

Just Read, OK!!

You are SO RIGHT with this post.....nearly every time I start to read threads here I come across some article that Everyone seems to want to reply to with a knee jerk reaction, because they are assuming it is saying something that it's not. I always (though apparently pointlessly since I never notice much of a change in people's attitudes) point out exactly what the article REALLY says, then suggest that they read it a bit closer.

I must admit, of course...I'm not perfect either, though....my big problem is commenting on Youtube videos while I'm still watching them....quite often, whatever it was that I thought so important to share is covered in detail the minute after I hit the 'post' button!

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by bhornbuckle75

Thanks for reply

Also annoying:

Personal questions/answers in serious threads like: "I like your avatar, how did you make it?"
I was guilty of this once, before I discovered the U2U feature.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Reading requires a person to:

- Put effort into something they won't be paid for
- Accept other people as having valid opinions and/or thoughts
- Occasionally even formulate their own opinions

Expecting a person to do this is terrible and you're a terrible person for suggesting it.
edit on 28-5-2011 by UngoodWatermelon because: -

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   

reply to post by bhornbuckle75

Thanks for reply

Also annoying:

Personal questions/answers in serious threads like: "I like your avatar, how did you make it?"
I was guilty of this once, before I discovered the U2U feature.

My fav is those that say: "I'm at work now and I don't have time to watch your attached video. I'll watch it at home later today."

I think that is Twit(ter)ego spillover.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
If a thread is over 10 pages long it get s very time consuming to read every reply, sadly some of us have real lives outside of ATS and do not have the time to sit and read every reply in a thread that is 100, 200, 1000 pages long. Sometimes a person will hit the reply button start typing a reply and real life gets in the way, they may have to step away form the computer for a few minutes, by the time they finish typing their reply the thread could be 3 or 4 pages long. So it looks like they didn't read the replies before theirs because frankly they didn't as those replies were posted while they were typing their reply. ATS is a busy fast paced site sometimes people are replying at the same time. Sometimes people only have the time to read the OP and want to contribute something to the thread so they post a reply based on the OP. I wouldn't go so far as to call it self absorbed though. If a reply has a repeat of an opinion/information what's the big deal really? Just because I see a reply that sort of matches my opinion I"m not supposed to post in the thread? Just star it and move on? If everyone did that there would be no point to having ATS.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightSunshine

The written word is very important babes

Oh and I read ALL your thread

x

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Jubes

I didn't say anything about 100 pages. Although If I'm truly interested in something, it may take me 3 or 4 days to read a thread. At the end of it if I don't have anything new to add, I don't, I just take what I've learned and move on. Why does a 100 page thread about the police need 40 pages of people saying F-the police? No, I don't think ATS is all about people repeating over and over and over. Had you not repeated what LargeFries said you could of cut out the bulk of your post:

Sometimes a person will hit the reply button start typing a reply and real life gets in the way, they may have to step away form the computer for a few minutes, by the time they finish typing their reply the thread could be 3 or 4 pages long. So it looks like they didn't read the replies before theirs because frankly they didn't as those replies were posted while they were typing their reply. ATS is a busy fast paced site sometimes people are replying at the same time. Sometimes people only have the time to read the OP and want to contribute something to the thread so they post a reply based on the OP

The big deal is those 100 pages are 40-60 pages of people saying the exact same thing! It says to me these people don’t give a shoot about what anyone else has to say, they just want to be heard.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
one thing that drives me crazy is how someone asks for proof on a thread about some obscure conspiracy theory or alien abduction or something. obviously the proof does not exist so why ask for it? after all is that not why this site exists in the first place? to discuss obscure topics i mean.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by UngoodWatermelon

Reading requires a person to:
- Put effort into something they won't be paid for
- Accept other people as having valid opinions and/or thoughts
- Occasionally even formulate their own opinions
Expecting a person to do this is terrible and you're a terrible person for suggesting it.

OHH, I'm sooo ashamed

Seriously though, that is excatly what I'm talking about, thank you!

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Wow this is so weird.

I was JUST thinking this while replying to posts in my thread. It is apparent many didn't read the thread or the links because had they, their answers would have been answered and the comments they made woudn't have been needed....

It drives me nuts too!
edit on 5/28/2011 by mblahnikluver because: spell fail

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by defythetyrants

Originally posted by defythetyrants
one thing that drives me crazy is how someone asks for proof on a thread about some obscure conspiracy theory or alien abduction or something. obviously the proof does not exist so why ask for it? after all is that not why this site exists in the first place? to discuss obscure topics i mean.

OHHH YEA??? PROVE IT!!

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Had you not repeated what LargeFries said you could of cut out the bulk of your post:

Are you serious? That just sounds like censorship to me. I'm not allowed to post my opinion or thoughts because someone else may have said the same thing or something close to it?

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Jubes

No you're allowed to, but why do you want to? What is the point? Help me understand. Why do you think the way you say something, says it better than the 30 others who said the same thing?

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Just Read, OK!!

I have seen that on a long-ish thread I have been involved in from the beginning... as the thread goes on, more and more people come along who are obviously answering the OP without reading any of the answers the OP has already had, where their question/comment has been dealt with. It's really frustrating!
On h2g2 there was a name for it - "Post 21" (posts are numbered there). Someone could come along, read up to post 21 and reply, and their reply would end up in the middle of the page that had posts 110-130 on it...
(For example)
Then they would be laughed at..
V

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Vicky32

Yea? That's a good idea. Here's another one...Point or star removal votes. On pages 10 through 30...If 10 people vote your post is asked/answered, or just plain useless, it will be sent to a mod for review!! Maybe that would compel people to seek there answers before asking them on page 10.

Not really serious, I know that wouldn't happen, but it might encourage some people READ a little more.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I think it depends on the kind of thread. In some cases people cultivate long-term threads here very carefully, returning to a single thread week after week, month after month. There are threads on ATS that almost have taken on lives of their own, as if they were mini sub-fora of some kind.

Some large threads expressly have a chat-like atmosphere, like the "up-to-the-minute" market thread in the Global Meltdown forum. In threads like that, its perfectly acceptable to fly by, drop off a link you just happened across, and then go on your way. Others that may be of similar length feature samller numbers of particpants, large blocks of text, and so on. These I would be more leery of wading into without carefully reading at least the main points. You are going to please everybody, but hopefully after awhile, you pick up a kind of intuitive "nose" for what nuances of fly-by posting are or aren't appreciated in certain threads or fora, or by certain posters.
edit on 5/29/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join