It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Driving Around America

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
So, my fiancee and I are going to take a little road trip/vacation (much needed, I have not had a vacation in my 7 years of adult life) around the good ole USA. We are starting in Texas, as that is where we live.

So far, places to go are:
Tulsa, OK (visit my family)
Mt Rushmore
The Grand Canyon
Scottsdale, AZ (visit her family)
La Jolla, CA

How does this sound, and where else should we go?

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Well doesn't seem like your going toward the Midwest, but I don't blame ya. If you do though Go to Chicago. Need I say more?

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Im going to Mt Rushmore, then over to AZ and Cali.

I'll definitely be driving through the Midwest, right?

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
There is a really awesome camp site in Arizona called Flintstones Bedrock City camp ground.. its like 40 minutes from the grand canyon.. at night it is BEAUTIFUL.. you see so many stars; the whites of the universe.. i saw plenty of shooting starts in a short period of time as well.. its kind of hard to find and kind of scary to get to if your driving at night.. but if your looking for a nice camp ground its awesome.
Here is a review of it-
www.yelp.com...

Also, in the California desert is a place called Calico ghost town.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by graphuto

If you're going to Mt Rushmore you have to go to Devils Tower in Wyoming and driving through the Badlands is a must do. In Deadwood South Dakota is a cemetery where Calamity Jane and Wild Bill Hickok are buried. There is a Crazy Horse memorial near Mt Rushmore and be sure to drive through Custer State Park, you'll get to see Bison up close and personal not to mention the rams.

edit on 28-5-2011 by chefc14 because: add more 411

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
you should go down to nogales arizona

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by VicDiaz89

What is in Nogales and why? Not trying to be rude!

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by graphuto

If you want to, im not stopping you lmao.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
While you stay is Scottsdale you can burn up a day floating down the Salt River.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by reesie45

Im confused.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by reesie45

Im confused.
What did you mean when you said right?

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
If I was going from Mt Rushmore, which is in South Dakota, to Arizona, wouldn't I certainly be driving through the Midwest? I mean, isn't South Dakota like... the heart of the Midwest?

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   

If I was going from Mt Rushmore, which is in South Dakota, to Arizona, wouldn't I certainly be driving through the Midwest? I mean, isn't South Dakota like... the heart of the Midwest?
Oh my apologies, If your in the Illinois area then go to Chicago, you shouldn't be disappointed.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
If you havent gone to Six Flags Over TX, thats the first place I would go, since you're starting in TX. I hear they just got a new "Texas Giant". Supposeldy re-did the old one and made it better, and has the steepest slope out of all rollercoasters in the US. (the first downfall, not sure what the proper name for it is)

If you end up in Minnesota (I was born there), go to the Mall of America, and ride the indoor rollercoaster there. I believe its called the Snoopy Ride. Not sure if its still there though, I havent been there in years. Also check out how the highways are set up around the mall. Pretty insane.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
SInce you're going to be in California, I would head up north as it's much more pleasant. Being that you are going to be with you're fiancee, I highly recommend Napa. It's a bit of a drive from La Jolla, but well worth it. Take US 101, it's been scientifically proven to be one of the best scenic drives in the country!

edit on 5/28/2011 by scojak because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

No #? I rode the original Texas Giant about...damn, it hurts to say this, but about 15 years ago! I might do that!

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by scojak
SInce you're going to be in California, I would head up north as it's much more pleasant. Being that you are going to be with you're fiancee, I highly recommend Napa. It's a bit of a drive from La Jolla, but well worth it. Take US 101, it's been scientifically proven to be one of the best scenic drives in the country!

edit on 5/28/2011 by scojak because: (no reason given)

Haha, when you live in Houston, TX, and are going out of state to the north or west, La Jolla to Napa is a breeze! Good idea! Thats where the vineyards are, yes?

It'd be US 101 out of San Diego, right?
edit on 28-5-2011 by graphuto because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Also, does anyone have any ideas for sleeping along the way? I was kind of hoping to not rent a motel every night!

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I second the Northern California vote. There is a place between the Humboldt Redwoods and the coast called the Mattole Road. It is way, way off the beaten path (some of the remotest settled land in the U.S.), but it is so beautiful you will want to buy land and settle down there. Also off the Mattole Road is the most remote stretch of wild beach in the U.S. The beach is so wild and remote that there are bear warning signs. It is called the "Lost Coast".

Google Mattole Road and Lost Coast.

edit on 28-5-2011 by OuttaHere because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by OuttaHere
I second the Northern California vote. There is a place between the Humboldt Redwoods and the coast called the Mattole Road. It is way, way off the beaten path (some of the remotest settled land in the U.S.), but it is so beautiful you will want to buy land and settle down there. Also off the Mattole Road is the most remote stretch of wild beach in the U.S. The beach is so wild and remote that there are bear warning signs.
edit on 28-5-2011 by OuttaHere because: (no reason given)

How strange. I was outside smoking a cigarette wondering if there was a road parallel to the ocean and I was imagining driving alongside it! The giant Redwoods are in NoCal?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join