It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Geomagnetic Warning K-index of 4 issued for May 28th

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Source for warning message: www.swpc.noaa.gov...
"Space Weather Message Code: ALTK04
Serial Number: 1513
Issue Time: 2011 May 28 0135 UTC

ALERT: Geomagnetic K-index of 4
Threshold Reached: 2011 May 28 0134 UTC
Synoptic Period: 0000-0300 UTC
Station: Boulder
Active Warning: Yes"

Thats the message from this website : www.swpc.noaa.gov...

The Magnetosphere is showing very high readings and has had quite a bit of fluctuation today.

Link: www2.nict.go.jp...

or direct image link:www2.nict.go.jp...

I would love to know if anyone knows what this could mean, I would love some input, thank you.
edit on 28-5-2011 by Bdizzl3 because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-5-2011 by Bdizzl3 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
It updates about every 15 minutes and the most recent update shows higher readings still, I wish I knew exactly what I was looking at.

Most recent image update: www2.nict.go.jp...
edit on 28-5-2011 by Bdizzl3 because: typo

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Solar activity. That's what you're looking at.

www.spaceweather.com...

I wish I had a better understanding of it all too, but I do not.

Edit to add: "C-class flares are small with few noticeable consequences here on Earth."
edit on 28-5-2011 by CN1018 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
"The K-index quantifies disturbances in the horizontal component of earth's magnetic field with an integer in the range 0-9 with 1 being calm and 5 or more indicating a geomagnetic storm. It is derived from the maximum fluctuations of horizontal components observed on a magnetometer during a three-hour interval. The label 'K' origins from German 'Kennziffer'[1] meaning 'characteristic digit'."

Okay so it goes from 1-9 in levels of severity. So 4 isn't high up there but I would love to understand the readings.

Source: en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   

NOTE: The Boulder K-index is the real-time proxy for the Planetary K (Kp) values that define the Geomagnetic Storm (G-scale) on the NOAA Space Weather Scales. Kp is not available in real time and is usually delayed by approximately 30 minutes. To enable the fastest possible alerts of Geomagnetic Storm activity, the Boulder K-index is used as a substitute, 1 minute behind real time. Kp and the Boulder K-index will generally show the same overall trend of activity. However, differences in the absolute magnitude of these indices can result in differences in the G-level (or K-index) reached. These differences are generally restricted to plus or minus one G or K-level, although larger deviations are infrequently observed. Through partnership with the US Geological Survey, SWPC is working to eliminate the need for a Planetary K proxy by deriving an estimated Planetary K in real time. Real-time derivation of the Planetary K is anticipated by October 1, 2011. Products that currently use the Boulder K as a proxy will be transitioned to Planetary K at that time.

Below is the defenition of the Geometric warning k index of 4
G 4
Severe
Power systems: possible widespread voltage control problems and some protective systems will mistakenly trip out key assets from the grid.

Spacecraft operations: may experience surface charging and tracking problems, corrections may be needed for orientation problems.

Other systems: induced pipeline currents affect preventive measures, HF radio propagation sporadic, satellite navigation degraded for hours, low-frequency radio navigation disrupted, and aurora has been seen as low as Alabama and northern California (typically 45° geomagnetic lat.)**.

Here is the web page with the chart

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

Google is your friend.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Bdizzl3

According to noaa the scale is from 1-5

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

If you notice on the chart on that wikipedia page, a K index from 0-4 all rate 0 on the NOAA G- scale so essentially they mean nothing.
edit on 28-5-2011 by lcbjr1979 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by lcbjr1979

Great information, thank you very much.

new topics

top topics

join