It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Judge Rules Corporations, Just Like People, Should Be Able To Give To Candidates

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Methinks that the judge needs to take a course on logic and logical fallacies. Just because something sounds like it makes sense based upon a vague string of logic, doesn't mean that it ought to be enacted without understanding the potentially negative consequences that such an enactment would have.

In debate, arguments, and the application of logic, A does not always lead to B.
edit on 28-5-2011 by arbitrarygeneraiist because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by spyder550

You are necessarily dismissing the fact that the First Amendment explicitly forbids Congress from legislating any acts that would abridge the freedom of speech and that Congress did precisely this with their Bipartisan Finance Reform Act, and that the Supreme Court struck that portion that did abridge speech as unconstitutional. You have to ignore all of that in order to come to the conclusion that it is just nonsense that the Supreme Courts decision was a victory for everyone.

Further, given the fact that I had in my original post made clear the fact - and truth - that it was Congress with their UCC definitions that defined corporations as a person, not the Supreme Court, and that I suggested that if people really wanted to reign in corporations that it begins with dealing with Congress not the Supreme Court, you clearly ignored that and only took a snippet of what I said in order to make it appear as if I am equating corporations with people. Be emotional all you want about this problem, but being ignorant about the root of the problem, and insisting on remaining ignorant doesn't help any one of us.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Well according to that logic, if a human were to comit acts of fraud or violate human rights then they would be locked up. So I guess when corporations violate regulations they should be disbanded forever.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Well i hope this means that they can also be tried as a real person. If that were true we could finally go after bp for oil spills, the banks for robbery and the politicians for at least receiving stolen goods. Then again, who would you take the case to? THanks op

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
We do so many hate freedom of speech?

It's the First Amendment, you know.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

You guys dont see the inequity here -- not at all??

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I love corporations.

They buy off our politicians...saying they need to make money to get the economy going and hire people...yet they make record profits and barely hire anyone.

Then, at the same time, trash all those who are on unemployment or government help because they are afraid the debt is getting so large they may have to pay up....but yet won't hire anyone based on insane profits.

All the money at the top has to come down...if it does not our society will crumble. It doesn't matter what your ideology is...this is a fact. We are headed towards 2 classes...poor and rich. Soon the middle class will be completely gone.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join