It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My dad is a globalist...please help me.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
My dad is a life long US Government official. He served 40 years in the US Foreign service and helped spread US economic polocies to nations where he was stationed. He was instrumental in getting the GATT passed and was involved in the early days of NAFTA. He retired before NAFTA was officially passed, but remains to this day a supporter of it, and a die hard Obama supporter.

I love my dad, and am very proud of his sevice to the Nation- he is a WWII veteran, however, I feel that he is not able to see the evil that has become so prevelant in the nations government, media and corporate culture. I have talked to him about subjects ranging from aspartame and flouride being poisons that the Governement endorses for our children to use, to questions I have about 9/11 and even the truth behind the Iran-Contra scandal (which he was involved in doing de-classification of relevant documents). Untill last week, he had no idea about the drug importing and sales being done as part of this whole deal!

I could use some support from the great people here at ATS to help show my Dad that this government has betrayed him and what he's stood for, since he volunteered to fight in 1942. I myself am a non-combat veteran (served during the Cold War) and I am convinced that we are not the same country we were when I was in High School back in 1986, when I joined up.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Of course were not the same government..things change over time and always have and always will.

You think the government does nothing good at all? That's a bit naive I think.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Well son, it seems like your dad is part of what some refer to as the "greatest generation." This generation has a certain culture and changing it at this point, especially in their twilight years is unlikely to happen. This would be akin to converting them to a new religion on their death bed. Let them believe what they want to and just realize that there is potential for the world to change in a positive way. He fufilled his role, but the world has since passed him by...

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
turn him on to Drudge.com or infowars.com
start slowly to avoid information overload.
I salute your Dad for his service to our country.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

First off, I did not state that... I do feel, however, that our Government no longer is representing the interest of the PEOPLE who elected them, but are merely working at the behest of their pay masters. It has gotten MUCH worse in the last 15 years, in my opinion.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Yeah, I hear you... it seems that debating with him about these things is an excercise in futility. He does love to debate though! I guess it keeps his mind sharp. My Dad's a bit of a freak of nature, he's 88, but still as sharp as ever, and continues to work 3-4 days a week for the State Department.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Why is it so important to you that your dad see the world the way you do?
This looks to be more about you, then about him.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hoosyourdaddyo
reply to post by kro32

First off, I did not state that... I do feel, however, that our Government no longer is representing the interest of the PEOPLE who elected them, but are merely working at the behest of their pay masters. It has gotten MUCH worse in the last 15 years, in my opinion.

If your so worried about the politicians ask yourself what your doing to fix it. How many political rally's do you go to to learn their issues. Do you help those you like win by helping with their campaigns or helping raise money?
Do you go door to door and try to get more people to vote for them?

Doubt it. I really hate when people whine about the politicians but don't do anything about it other than come on this site and say how bad the government is.
edit on 27-5-2011 by kro32 because: added more

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

I have done all those things you asked. As a matter of fact, I actually worked on Bill Clintons transision team in 1992, and was cited by them for my excellent work. I have volunteered on many campaigns, and have done canvasing, phone banking, and have taken the time to man tables at polling stations and supermarkets.

Have you done any of these things? I hope so, because I beleive in being involved in the policital world and to stand up for your beliefs.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
A few examples on how the government is corrupt. And there's TENS OF THOUSANDS more such examples.

U.S. Rescue May Reach $23.7 Trillion, Barofsky Says

California released 450 violent criminals ``by mistake``

Iowa about to criminalize videotaping animal abuse

Tiffany's open $500k line of credit for Gingrich while they lobby him

Mass. going after union benefits, unions leaders give up and workers get shafted again

DOJ to prosecute Edwards for illegally funnelling campaign donations to mistress
Brooklyn Man Still In Jail 5 Years After Charges Dismissed

Jewish woman protesting war criminal Netanyahu and AIPAC? That's an arrest

The Worst Bill Ever in Congress

Unknown chemical found in Choctaw Creek... but somehow water is safe to drink

DEA raids drug runners... finds ATF guns

Following Indiana Supreme Court ruling, sheriff says random house to house searches are possible

Senate Bill Would Limit You From Using Your 401(k)s Money How You See Fit

Gov. Walker moves to ban hospitals from allowing same sex partners from visiting each other

Woman gets her house broken into twice by banks

Midstate Police Profiting Off Drug Trade

State Dept. wants to make it harder to get a passport

Supreme Court gives police a new entryway into homes

Court: No right to resist illegal cop entry into home

FBI : If we told you the truth about warrantless spying, you would sue

Ne w FBI Files Alleging AIPAC Theft of Government Property and Israeli Espionage Released

After approving NBC buyout, FCC Commish becomes Comcast lobbyist

The United States Has The Worst Income Inequality In The OECD

Banks trying to buy the legal system for $5 billion

Florida governor to impose drug testing on welfare recipients...will get rich out of it

Fannie Mae requests additional 8.5 billion dollars in government aid

Bottom line, both parties work for the banks and for the police state/military industrial complex, if you can't see that, you are blind.

EDIT : And since you are a veteran and your dad is too, maybe that'll wake him up :
Banks ignored federal laws protecting the homes of active military from foreclosure

And guess what, nobody went to jail/were fined for this. The government is protecting the banks.
edit on 27-5-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Hoosyourdaddyo

Dear Hoosyuordaddyo,

My experience is that the people in the state department are and always have been the biggest proponents of world governance. Your father was in World War II and went into the state department, he saw the worst of governments, he saw Nazi Germany. I am not a globalist, I am for sovereignty; but, it does come with a price tag. The people that believe in world governance or globalization are not evil, they are not what is portrayed by the Alex Jones' of this world. Ever since World War I the movement has only gotten stronger because there are people who believe that wars can no longer be accepted. Again I disagree with them; but, I understand their position and it isn't to enslave and kill everyone.

As for the crimes done by our government, every government does them. Not justifying it, just saying that not having any government won't work either. Not giving up on good government regardless of the type is the best solution.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32

reply to post by kro32

If your so worried about the politicians ask yourself what your doing to fix it. How many political rally's do you go to to learn their issues. Do you help those you like win by helping with their campaigns or helping raise money?
Do you go door to door and try to get more people to vote for them?

Doubt it. I really hate when people whine about the politicians but don't do anything about it other than come on this site and say how bad the government is.
edit on 27-5-2011 by kro32 because: added more

Wow, judgmental much?

One thing to ask if they're active, but to soapbox how you doubt it?

However, I too, feel your frustration with the mass of complaining from armchair critics that see what's going on, express how much they dislike it, yet b#@*h on a forum instead of getting involved.

As far as the OP, you can only lead a horse to water, you cannot force it to drink. If you feel it necessary to open his eyes (which I would also) then all you can do is provide the info and let him digest it, at some point, just as it has been for EVERYONE else, the evidence will just be too plainly obvious to ignore.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I cast my vote but that's about it. I'm also not on here complaining either though but rather look to both sides of what's going on in politics. I do study History and Political Science in school now so feel qualified to discuss on most topics regarding this.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Of course were not the same government..things change over time and always have and always will.

Quit trolling! This guy wants some help to find a way to enlighten his dad and all you do is berate and belittle???
Next time just don't reply if you have nothing to add.

Hoosyourdaddyo: Keep talking to your Dad and let him decide if he wants to be informed. I know this is hard to do but he has to be the one to make up his own mind. It is almost impossible to change a persons mind but you can give him all the tools necessary for him to make a new decision.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
It sounds like we have a lot in common. I was a non-combat veteran who served during the first Gulf War. Graduated high school in the eighties. My step-father was an aerospace manager (retired) and is an ardent supporter of globalism.

It is quite frustrating discussing it with him. Arguably globalist policies have not been on the whole beneficial to America and most Americans -- particularly, the working or middle class who have seen their jobs disappear and their incomes dwindle or evaporate completely as jobs moved to countries where wages are much cheaper and which have trade agreements that include the U.S.

Ross Perot was completely right about that giant "sucking sound". Anybody should be able to see that in hindsight. You certainly have my sympathy, though I think we are never going to be able to convince their generation -- as they have been sold a bill of goods and perhaps cannot accept (stop denying) they have been had.

These policies have mainly benefited the elite and have contributed to the widening gap between rich and poor in the U.S., which has possibly never been greater, even during the "gilded age" of the late nineteenth century.

Maybe, it will take our generation and the generations that come after us to begin to reverse these disaterous and effectively one-sided, disadvantageous trade policies.
edit on 27-5-2011 by brianboru because: grammar

edit on 27-5-2011 by brianboru because: typo -- spelling

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by redbarron626

Quit trolling! This guy wants some help to find a way to enlighten his dad and all you do is berate and belittle???
Next time just don't reply if you have nothing to add.

Hoosyourdaddyo: Keep talking to your Dad and let him decide if he wants to be informed. I know this is hard to do but he has to be the one to make up his own mind. It is almost impossible to change a persons mind but you can give him all the tools necessary for him to make a new decision.

That wasn't trolling but rather a simple fact. Don't mean to berate you either but governments do change over time. That should be obvious.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Then I suggest, with all due respect, that you keep your snide comments to yourself. You're obviously not going to add any intelligence to this discussion, and are a hipocrite... casting doubt on my political activivism while saying that all you've ever done is to "cast your vote".

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
A few examples on how the government is corrupt. And there's TENS OF THOUSANDS more such examples.

U.S. Rescue May Reach $23.7 Trillion, Barofsky Says

California released 450 violent criminals ``by mistake``

Iowa about to criminalize videotaping animal abuse

[URL=http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0511/Tiffanys_lobbied_Callista_Gingrichs_committee.html?showall]Tiffany's open $500k line of credit for

Nice finds bro! Start a Thread with this stuff!

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   

reply to post by kro32

Then I suggest, with all due respect, that you keep your snide comments to yourself. You're obviously not going to add any intelligence to this discussion, and are a hipocrite... casting doubt on my political activivism while saying that all you've ever done is to "cast your vote".

I don't feel the need to do more than cast my vote as I am always very well informed, far more than the rest of the populace. And I was simply trying to point out some facts to you that I didn't know if you were aware of or not. My responses are always straight forward so sorry if that offended you.

However I did know that would be your exact reply as soon as I typed it. You know if it's true or not and I don't but the point still stands. Unless you are very active and passionate about politics it won't change if you are then you are certainly far beyond the rest.

I happen to think, from studying politics in depth, that our system, however flawed, is not that bad. There are certainly problems but there always will be with government. So I apoligize if I offended you.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Your dad is a good man then.

You know how many people Globalization has lifted out of poverty? Globalization is good.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join