It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In diplomatic shift, Russia calls for Gadhafi to step down

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Yes, I realize that Libya is not in the Middle East; however, there is no North Africa forum, so this seems to be the appropriate place. That being said, was there ever any doubt that Russia would fall in line when push come to shove?

Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has joined American and other European leaders in calling for Moammar Gadhafi to step down from power, a shift that appears to indicate a closing diplomatic window for the longtime Libyan strongman.

Moscow has been a strong critic of the NATO-led mission in Libya, arguing that the scope of the organization's air campaign against Gadhafi's forces far exceeds the civilian protection mandate approved by the U.N. Security Council.

Medvedev's call for Gadhafi to step aside came at the end of the Group of Eight summit in Deauville, France, on Friday. The G8 includes the United States, the United Kingdom, France, Canada, Japan, Germany, Italy and Russia.

www.cnn.com...

Yes, you all read this correctly; BIG, BAD Russia....the same Russia that, in some people's eyes were on the high road and could do no wrong...the same Russia that would team with China and annihilate the US over our Middle East policy, has suddenly had a change of heart. What gives? I have no opinion on Russia's flip-flop, but would love to hear feedback and conspiratorial opinions on the matter.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Well, look at it this way ... all that is being played out is in the benefit of the elites, now if they wanted the US destroyed, they would do and if they wanted russia destroyed, they would do. It's the same for any other country.

We are just pawns in their game, now what do we do about that?

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Just a simple perspective
Empires making deals behind closed doors.

It is obvious that the West offered Russia something,
in response to its support for a Libyan regime change.

Now let's move on to what the West could have traded for Libya,
I have a strong belief that Georgia is the trade.

Expect a regime change in Georgia,
if it doesn't happen,
expect something else in favor of Russia.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   

What tells the story is the fact it was after the G8 meeting. Its is not about what the US said, bought, bribed, or threatened. It about what the Puppet Masterts said. Does anyone know who the ruling elite was that showed up fot the meeting.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   

None of the above...

Russia [and China for that matter ] both knew the situation the UN resolution was going to create YET. They both abstained. Trying to play nice nice. Then later when the fickle winds of Public opinion shifted from everybody wanting the West to do something to help those poor people to [it's all about OIL] Then Russia came out and tried to play the nice guys
and say the West had no rights etc etc etc. Now that NATO appears to be gaining the upper hand

NOW they want to AGAIN be
seen as the nice guys.

DUDE they are waffling all over this. pffft.

I'm sure I'll get roasted for this reply but who cares...

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Exactly, they knew what was going to happen in Libya and abstrained from the vote. Since then Russia seems to have changed it's stance every couple of weeks, which just makes them look foolish. I admire a person who tells you where they stand, even if they are wrong, a lot more than someone just trying to further their own agendas through deceit.

new topics

top topics

join