It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oregon Senator blocks internet censorship bill!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
He's truly a hero.

Oregon Senator Wyden freezes second Internet censorship bill

A U.S. Senator from Oregon has once again taken a stand against his own party to defend what he sees as the inherent right to free speech on the Internet, placing a hold on a bill that could force search engines and Internet service providers to block websites deemed to be "infringing" on copyrights.

The Preventing Real Online Threats to Economic Creativity and Theft of Intellectual Property Act -- or "PROTECT IP" for short was part of a second attempt to pass provisions of the Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act (COICA), which failed to clear Congress during its last session thanks to a parliamentary maneuver by Sen. Ron Wyden (D-OR).

And once again, Wyden has stepped forward to ensure those measures do not pass.

HELL YEAH MAN!!!!!! You rock! There's at least TWO good senators in the US senate... Rand Paul and this guy, protecting the population from the corporatist scum.

If you want to thank him, his phone number in DC is

202-224-5244

edit on 27-5-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Great news, but I can't help but think this will eventually get passed or something similar will get passed. After that, it's all downhill in terms of internet freedoms are concerned which is pretty scary to think about.

Personally, this is one of my big problems with most Democrats in office and their overall ideology, too much control in personal matters (smoking bans in private establishments, fining people for not recycling,etc.). Republicans do the same thing in different ways but this kind of stuff should not be dictated by politicians at all.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Ok, gotta cheer this one; I voted for the guy! Wyden is a mixed bag but he's one of the more honest ones out there.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I thought everyone on here hated the government yet it's funny how many compliments go out also.

So now you got Ron Paul, this guy, Rand Paul....hmm interesting though how quickly everyone will forget and start complaining how they are all working for the NWO and hate America.

top topics

join