It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP Cuts Disaster Preparedness Funds By $1.5 Billion

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Brilliant.

GOP Cuts Disaster Preparedness Funds By $1.5 Billion

In response to the deadliest spring of climate disasters in decades, House Republicans are slashing billions from disaster preparedness programs, including support for firefighters. On Tuesday, the House Appropriations Committee cut the successful Department of Energy clean car manufacturing loan program by $1.5 billion to add $1 billion to disaster relief. But they also slashed other parts of the Federal Emergency Management Agency and Homeland Security budget, including cuts of $1.5 billion from President Obama’s request for next year in firefighter assistance grants and state and local grants administered by FEMA.

At least they cut some money from those SOBs at Homeland Security... but cutting firefighter assistance? Firefighters deserve the money...

FEMA screws people more times than they help, so cutting them the money is wise.

One of the worst decisions was to decimate funding for almost every grant program for state and local preparedness. Providing a total of $1 billion for all State and Local Grants, or 65 percent below the request, and providing $350 million for Firefighter Assistance Grants, almost 50 percent below an already reduced request, breaks faith with the states and localities that depend on us as partners to secure our communities. These cuts will be doubly disruptive as many of our states and municipalities are being forced to slash their own budgets.

But cutting state and local preparedness? People need to drill to know what to do if a hurricane/tornado/flood is about to hit... cutting that is criminal.
edit on 27-5-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

It's almost as if the GOP has let their ideology get in the way of their common sense. To me if you want to ensure that you will lose elections, vote against warning people that may suffer this kind of devistation.

www.youtube.com...

Do you think the dembs won't use this as campaign talking points to show and exemplify the heartlessness of the Republicans? As well they should.

edit on 27-5-2011 by whaaa because: ptptptpt

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

If something on a massive scale happens.......folks, you're on your own!

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
It might be sad but if you look at the economy we are going to have to make tough choices or face even worse times. We may have to make deeper cuts everywhere and maybe take away some safety nets to get out of this mess were in.

The problem is that when you ask for people if we should be worried about the deficit they say yes but when you ask for particular things to cut that will affect them they say no way.

You should at least give the gop credit for trying to cut some things but they also need to give up their tax breaks and their favorite little things also.

We may all need to sacrifice more than we like.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Ron Paul is my shepherd, I shall not want. He maketh me to love no federal aid for anything. Though my state be broke, and tax breaks for the richest only, I shall fear no disaster for churches and local aid organizations will have everything I need. For the power and glory of Paul forever, amen.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

Indeed!

Perhaps the government should just take ALL our money for safeguarding to protect us in the event of something tragic, since they do such a great job with everything!

Seriously...here's an idea. Cut government spending/collecting (that would be the money they take from us in the first place) and redistribution of wealth and let us safeguard our own futures.

Where do you think the government GETS "its" money?
edit on 5/27/2011 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by the owlbear
Ron Paul is my shepherd, I shall not want. He maketh me to love no federal aid for anything. Though my state be broke, and tax breaks for the richest only, I shall fear no disaster for churches and local aid organizations will have everything I need. For the power and glory of Paul forever, amen.

Have you seen some of Ron Pauls interviews on Fox? He is a complete moron when it comes to the Constitution and though I agree with some of his ideas I can't follow someone who quotes from the Constitution when it's apparant he hasn't read it.

Or understand what it means if he did read it or too dumb to get clarification from an aid before he speaks out about it.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
LOL is this real? Talk about slapping your face in public! WOW! Can it be any more deliberate the staging that is taking place for the upcoming end game? PEOPLE they are going to hit when we are weakest from natural disasters (and catastrophes masked as such), with everything they have. This includes martial law, man made viruses, biological weapons, ETC ETC!

LOL and they go and do this on top of it. Well they definitely have balls.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32

Originally posted by the owlbear

Have you seen some of Ron Pauls interviews on Fox? He is a complete moron when it comes to the Constitution and though I agree with some of his ideas I can't follow someone who quotes from the Constitution when it's apparant he hasn't read it.

Or understand what it means if he did read it or too dumb to get clarification from an aid before he speaks out about it.

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic, or at least I hope so.

Talk about bad timing for the Republicans....

I'm starting to think the Republicans are using the economy woes to further their agendas and slash the budget in areas that their agenda does not agree with. Nah, that's crazy talk!

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
so someone explain to me why my tax dollars are going to firefighters that do not live where i do?

they may need it but those are local and state issues not for me when i dont live in the area.

if your sitting there thinking the federal government is going to be there to save you in any disaster situtation think agian.

where was obama when the tornados hits? not here where was anyone? no where.

it makes me sad how many people depend on the government instead of themselves.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
so someone explain to me why my tax dollars are going to firefighters that do not live where i do?

they may need it but those are local and state issues not for me when i dont live in the area.

if your sitting there thinking the federal government is going to be there to save you in any disaster situtation think agian.

Lo! Lord Paul sees your woe! Give unto him your dollar and seek shelter in the churches and local aid organizations which have no means of helping you due to no donations due to no jobs. Which the almighty Bush tax cuts were to supply in droves some years ago. Trust in lord Paul and you shall be free.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Thanks, friend. Not sure if your tax dollars are actually going to firefighters elsewhere as I'm not sure how involved fedgov gets here, but the general idea is a fair point.

As far as disasters - let's consider how long FEMA has been in place, and how long the government has been taking a GOOD CHUNK out of all our paychecks to help take care of us. Does anyone remember hurricane Katrina? How long did it take to get water to the Superdome? Does anyone remember the formaldehyde trailers FEMA provided to house Katrina victims? fedgov WIN!

I'm NOT going to try to say that the government is responsible for everything that goes wrong with rescue and disaster-mitigation efforts, but...seriously? Can anyone provide me examples where they've actually be cogent and comprehensive in their responses to actually help prevent further harm as well as lead to corrective results?

If they had a better track record - to my knowledge - maybe I wouldn't feel so bad about them reaching into my wallet every two weeks and beyond (please educate me if I'm failing here - I WANT to feel good about where my blood, sweat, and tears go...), but it seems to be a consistent record of thieving and failure the likes of which I would have a hard time duplicating myself, if I could but apply those funds myself toward getting out of Dodge or making the necessary preparations for the area in which I choose to reside.

Be well.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Spot on neo. The locals want to have preparedness drills then have at it but have the ones they are preparing to help pay for it. How muchi is this DHS excercise for a new madrid quake costing? Hell if that thing goes off it don't matter who trains for what it's gonna be a friggen mess. They'll get all their little reports back and this and that and when and if it pops they'll be sitting on their hands like the government always does while the folks in the disaster take care of the heavy lifting.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Praetorius
reply to post by kro32

Hi Kro!

I'm still waiting for your responses on this thread here!

Glad to know you're still around so I can find out what your responses are to my offered options regarding this request! I've been wondering for awhile and gave you a second one since I never got anything back on the first.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

What question would you like me to answer?

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

After Katrina the Coast Guard performed miracles rescuing all those folks from rooftops. Sadly it was never reported on much if any due to the media trying to make the president look like he was trying to kill folks. They do some good things but we only hear about the screwups that I will admit. Spending billions of dollars to prepare for something that could happen yet may never happen is not the best use for fed dollars.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by HoldTheBeans
reply to post by Praetorius

After Katrina the Coast Guard performed miracles rescuing all those folks from rooftops. Sadly it was never reported on much if any due to the media trying to make the president look like he was trying to kill folks. They do some good things but we only hear about the screwups that I will admit. Spending billions of dollars to prepare for something that could happen yet may never happen is not the best use for fed dollars.

And this is I suppose.....

costofwar.com...

This is happening NOW....talk about a screw up!

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   

He was at a scheduled metting in Europe discussing world matters with the leaders of the most powerful countries in the world which is what he was elected to do.

Did you want him to blow off the leaders of these countries to rush back just so he could walk around the devestated areas and agree how bad it is?

You also have state leaders that can communicate with him and are you trying to suggest he's not aware of the situation?

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

He was at a scheduled metting in Europe discussing world matters with the leaders of the most powerful countries in the world which is what he was elected to do.

he was not elected to jetset across the globe people just lost their homes their jobs and everything they own personally my first priorty would be the american people not some elite eurotrash.

Did you want him to blow off the leaders of these countries to rush back just so he could walk around the devestated areas and agree how bad it is?

yes since most of them are like sarkozy.

the president job is to the american public period not hob knob and be treated like royalty

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Where is your counter for the cost in Libya?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join