It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Perceiving is not believing?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
This question has been ravaging my mind for days on end. Is life actually there? Or is it some sort of massive trick our subconscious is playing on us? How do I know your real?

Awareness, the Origin of Thought, and the Role of Conscious Self-Deception in Resistance and Repression. by Rhawn Joseph, Ph.D. UHS/The Chicago Medical School Reprinted from: Psychological Reports, 46, 767-781, 1980 ABSTRACT Non-conscious processes involved in the formulation, organization, and expression of thought and consciousness are examined. It is argued that non-organized impulses and imageless non-linguistic knowledge exist prior to and result in the organization recognized as consciousness and thought. Hence consciousness is viewed as the developmental endpoint of a unitary process originating as non-activated sensations and knowledge, i.e., awareness. Because one can be aware of and have knowledge of "things" prior to being conscious of them, it is possible to know, yet not know, or rather not think about certain objectionable feelings or tacit ideas. These imageless, non-linguistic forms of knowledge are not unconscious; rather they are non-labeled and non-descriptive. Within this framework the Freudian conception of unconscious processes is examined and shown to support a model of self-deception, defined as a conscious refusal to attend to unstructured tacit knowledge of which one is simultaneously aware. Awareness is posited to be bilateral and the domain of the right hemisphere and limbic system, the verbal aspects of consciousness are associated with the left hemisphere, super-ego functions are linked to the frontal lobes, whereas the purely unconscious aspects of the mind are associated with the limbic system and brainstem.

Source

This video contradicts some of the ideas here;

Awareness is the state or ability to perceive, to feel, or to be conscious. In dreams sometimes people say they have somewhat a similar idea of this. Since our subconscious have all information (a theory), could't this be all ready planed out and these experiences, knowledge be previously known? Is this real? Questions, questions...

edit on 5/28/2011 by maria_stardust because: Considerably shorted lengthy external source and added link.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
bad link, and that hurt my frontal lobes trying to get through.

i'm pretty sure our subconscious isn't manifesting our lives. however unconscious fear not addressed or faced consciously such as 'why do i have anxiety when i get a sexual impulse, oh it's because my mother would beat me when i got caught masturbating' is how the matrix keeps its power over the mind. locked in fear, doubt and apology.

maybe your question is based off the video or i didn't read everything, but i'm not exactly sure why you think that all of our subconsciouses are playing tricks on us? I kinda get where you're questions going 'cause I've done mushrooms too, questioned reality, but rest assured, I'm very real. Ready for a smoke, fed up with waiting for STHTF and everything.
edit on 27-5-2011 by 4KAAN because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by 4KAAN

I took '___' and really started to question life. Thought is really derived from our brain. And our subconscious does know everything. Like a dream, its hard to tell if its real or not. The subconscious registers everything as if it where the truth.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Warpthal
reply to post by 4KAAN

I took '___' and really started to question life. Thought is really derived from our brain. And our subconscious does know everything. Like a dream, its hard to tell if its real or not. The subconscious registers everything as if it where the truth.

Ah, so you're asking if thought is real? I choose to believe it isn't, or at least, only beneficial when I find myself in philosophy mode. We can get lost in our thoughts in a paradoxical world, the brain is too extraordinary to be only limited to one path to reason, if we choose to spend our energy and focus on a merry-go-round of Truth. I perceive Truth to be simple, and that comes from a certain discipline or meditation to observe that thoughts are ever persistent, and that the brain in general always finds something to be afraid of. When you meditate and focus on nothingness and silence, you will see that your thoughts lose power over you, that you are still alive without them, and from my experience excel without them, but most importantly that you are not a slave to them.

If you feel your thoughts are affecting your perception negatively, let go of them. Detach yourSelf (your will) from thinking they define you. Your insecurities are Gordian knots inside your brain. Cut through your fears by accepting why those fears would come your mind in the first place... then let go. Your subconscious will register the balance, and reality will slowly turn into something you could perceive as being a good dream.

I hope that helps, I could ramble all day about philosophy/reality, etc..

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
If it is real, you can experience it. If it ceases to exist, it does not mean that it wasn't real, it simply meant that it was transient.
edit on 29-5-2011 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-5-2011 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join