It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why world series baseball when its only American teams

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Bluejays have been mentioned, but don't forget the Expos are also Canadian. I guess that makes 2 non-U.S. teams that could make it to the series.

Yet I am curious how Japan (surprisingly popular there), Cuba (ditto), and a few other Central and South American country and Caribbean baseball leagues would fare against American and National League teams. (Not to mention that many U.S. teams even recruit players from them.) But you're right, the world series doesn't include them yet.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Truth be known i dont care to watch it either, but i love to play. I imagine just about every sport is like that though.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by pauljs75
Bluejays have been mentioned, but don't forget the Expos are also Canadian. I guess that makes 2 non-U.S. teams that could make it to the series.

Yet I am curious how Japan (surprisingly popular there), Cuba (ditto), and a few other Central and South American country and Caribbean baseball leagues would fare against American and National League teams. (Not to mention that many U.S. teams even recruit players from them.) But you're right, the world series doesn't include them yet.

The Expos no longer exist, well they do, but they moved to Washington, DC and are now the Nationals.

As for your second question, only the Cuban national team and perhaps the very best Japanese teams at any given time would do respectably vs. Major League teams, mainly because all of the best players from the other countries would be playing in the National and American leagues in America. The Japanese league is of high enough caliber and their players I'm sure make enough money that they can hold on to a lot of their top talent. I'm certain there are several dozens of Japanese players, at least, maybe a hundred or more, even, who could play in the MLB if they weren't already enjoying lucrative careers in Japan. In Japan they are top players, a lot of them, in the U.S. they'd be average at best with a few who I'm sure would be stars here, too. All of the best D.R., Venezuelan, Central American, Mexican, etc. players are all playing in the MLB and making major money at it, too.

The Cubans would be playing here, too, but they can't get out to do so. They day those restrictions finally fall look first for a massive influx of Cuban players into the MLB and within a decade I'm certain there will be an MLB team in Havana (assuming the economics can support it).
edit on 5/28/2011 by LifeInDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Uncertain1

what you didn't know america is the whole world?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join