It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jehovah's Witnesses Founders Believed In Ancient Alien Theory

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by wearewatchingyouman

You clearly don't understand language sets, every language has a different translation of the Tetragrammaton there not all the same. Here is a list of the name in some of those languages.

Awabakal - Yehóa
Bugotu - Jihova
Cantonese - Yehwowah
Danish - Jehova
Dutch - Jehovah
Efik - Jehovah
English - Jehovah
Fijian - Jiova
Finnish - Jehova
French - Jéhovah
Futuna - Ihova
German - Jehova
Hebrew - Yahweh
Hungarian - Jehova
Igbo - Jehova
Italian - Geova
Japanese - Ehoba
Latin - Iehova
Maori - Ihowa
Motu - Iehova
Mwala-Malu - Jihova
Narrinyeri - Jehovah
Nembe - Jihova
Petats - Jihouva
Polish - Jehowa
Portuguese - Jeová
Romanian - Iehova
Samoan - Ieova
Sotho - Jehova
Spanish - Jehová
Swahili - Yehova
Swedish - Jehova
Tahitian - Iehova
Tagalog - Jehova
Tongan - Jihova
Venda - Yehova
Xhosa - uYehova
Yoruba - Jehofah
Zulu - uJehova

Greek
Ιεχωβά /
Iechová

Intersting thing too is when you put the symbols of the Tetragrammaton into a generic translator for Hebrew to English it comes up Jehovah not Yahweh. The software that does this has no religious bias.
Is it wrong too?
I think it's time for you to show some intellectual honesty.
edit on 2-6-2011 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

I have no religious bias either... I'm agnostic.... and I am being intellectually honest....

Jehovah is a mispronunciation and translation... it came about because of a lack of understanding of hebrew vowels and vowel points when spoken...It is a hybrid of the Latin JHVH and the vowels of the jewish spoken Adonai...

as I've stated it is the ''common'' english translation and pronunciation this doesn't make it correct...to say otherwise is like saying "y'all" is the correct english for "you all" becaue it's commonly used in the south... and as I've also stated Yahweh probably isn't even correct... just more so than Jehovah....

If you were to put aside your simplistic ignorance on the subject, and actually do some real research, you would learn that a vast majority of english bible scholars have come to this conclusion...

I have no bias against using the name Jehovah and in fact use it all the time, because it's common.... I also say y'all... I just have enough intellectual honesty to recognize that there is in fact a more superior translation due to much dilligence by many scholars...

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

oh, and I used Babylon to translate יהוה
into english... here is what came up...

n. God, the Lord, Jehovah, Yahweh

there is also a form of Yahweh given in the other languages you posted... for instance

German

Gott, erhabenes Wesen, Erschaffer und... [God]
Gott, übernatürliches Wesen dem von... [god]
Jehovah, Gott, Name Gottes im Alten... [Jehovah]
Yahweh, Jehowah, der ausführliche Name... [Yahweh]

Danish

Gud, Det højeste Væsen, universets... [God]
gud, blive betragtet som havende... [god]
tetragrammaton, Gud, Jehova, Jahve [Yahweh]

edit on 2-6-2011 by wearewatchingyouman because: add

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
And why can't we use the Hebrew?

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

you can... we were just debating whether Jehovah is the correct english translation of the tetragrammaton....

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by wearewatchingyouman

you can... we were just debating whether Jehovah is the correct english translation of the tetragrammaton....

So we can adopt words like "souffle" and "garage" from other languages but not the proper name of the Almighty?

Secondly, "Jehovah" is not even an accurate transliteration of the tetragammaton, there are no "J"s or "J" phonic sounds in Hebrew.

I've pointed this out already.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   

lol... yeah pretty much... as I've pointed out it comes from the latin JHVH...
edit on 2-6-2011 by wearewatchingyouman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Well, carry on then.

lol, Not everyone is interested in precision.

Seems like I have to re-learn this fact of life every few days.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   

speaking of precision... did you see my reply to you on Genesis three?

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Please link it, I've missed it.

No offense, I'm currently trying to maintain participation in 29 threads.

:|

Goin 2 bed, will check it in the morn.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blue_Jay33

You clearly don't understand language sets, every language has a different translation of the Tetragrammaton there not all the same. Here is a list of the name in some of those languages.

Awabakal - Yehóa
Bugotu - Jihova
Cantonese - Yehwowah
Danish - Jehova
Dutch - Jehovah
Efik - Jehovah
English - Jehovah
Fijian - Jiova
Finnish - Jehova
French - Jéhovah
Futuna - Ihova
German - Jehova
Hebrew - Yahweh
Hungarian - Jehova
Igbo - Jehova
Italian - Geova
Japanese - Ehoba
Latin - Iehova
Maori - Ihowa
Motu - Iehova
Mwala-Malu - Jihova
Narrinyeri - Jehovah
Nembe - Jihova
Petats - Jihouva
Polish - Jehowa
Portuguese - Jeová
Romanian - Iehova
Samoan - Ieova
Sotho - Jehova
Spanish - Jehová
Swahili - Yehova
Swedish - Jehova
Tahitian - Iehova
Tagalog - Jehova
Tongan - Jihova
Venda - Yehova
Xhosa - uYehova
Yoruba - Jehofah
Zulu - uJehova

Greek
Ιεχωβά /
Iechová

Intersting thing too is when you put the symbols of the Tetragrammaton into a generic translator for Hebrew to English it comes up Jehovah not Yahweh. The software that does this has no religious bias.
Is it wrong too?
I think it's time for you to show some intellectual honesty.
edit on 2-6-2011 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

So why is he only the most High over the earth....i want to respect the most high over everything i really do. But then again why does a most high need worship from ants[us]? It seems really immature.I am not trying to be disrespectful....but i dont expect even a dog to worship me. If a dog respects me thats cool, if not, i will understand he is only a dog.

Somebody please help me with this logic.... because i really want to believe.
edit on 3-6-2011 by The Great Day because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by The Great Day

Did you see my reply to you on the last page? What do you want to believe exactly? Cause the views on who and what יהוה‎ is are broad and varied...

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
That's cool!

The old bible students thought God's place of residence was Alcyone. The Mormons think God lives on a planet called Kolob. In the world of Battlestar Galactica that world is Kobol.The throne of God is shrouded in mystery.

Who knows? The heavens may be the stars themselves or they are the access points. The angels were documented as being brighter than the sun.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by wearewatchingyouman
as I've stated it is the ''common'' english translation and pronunciation this doesn't make it correct...to say otherwise is like saying "y'all" is the correct english for "you all" becaue it's commonly used in the south...

But language changes over time - what was proper English 200 years ago is antiquated today, and is no longer considered correct usage of English in its present form. If in the future, 'you all' becomes antiquated like 'thou', who's to say that 'y'all' would not be correct English? If a word is widely accepted in a language, then it can be considered 'correct' use of the language. 'Ivan' is a correct Russian name translation, even if it did come from the French 'Juan', which came from 'John'.
Just as we may find it weird that our words and sayings will change, those English-speakers of 200 years ago would likewise be confused at our current bastardization of their language

The fact that 'Jehovah' has been a much more widespread Anglicization of the divine name does in a sense make it more 'correct' in the English language than the more Hebrew-centric rendition 'Yahweh'. Is it as accurate to the original pronunciation? Most likely not, but I don't think it matters - while a learned Christian should ideally have at least some small understanding of Biblical Hebrew to verify its original meaning, they don't necessarily need to be experts on pronunciation. What matters, at the end of the day, is that Christians use and respect the divine name, whether it is rendered Jehovah, Geova, Yahweh, or something else.
edit on 7/6/11 by HardbeatAcolyte because: elaboration

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Yeah, I want to know why. Why would they hide something like that?

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by MurderMyLove

who knows they hide a lot of things...

when you claim to be the only true religion on the planet earth it forces you to hide previous beliefs that have fallen out of favor or contradict what is currently taught...

I wonder if the ''angels'' who they claimed guided their Watchtower writings, and governing body decisions, were on the same planet with Jehovah... or a neighboring one....

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Below is the simple proof

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/02bb5a25ff4a.jpg[/atsimg]

For me this screen shot of a non-bias translator says it all .

Once again you are wrong on this particular topic.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by wearewatchingyouman[/

I wonder if the ''angels'' who they claimed guided their Watchtower writings, and governing body decisions, were on the same planet with Jehovah... or a neighboring one....

angels
wrote things as this ? :
"The small-nosed man cannot have a judicial mind, whatever his other excellencies may be. And a man whose nose upturns can no more be expected to administer justice than a pug dog can be expected to act as a shepherd." - 1921GAGE 01 19 224 - PUBLISHED BY THE WATCHTOWER SOCIETY.
source
Maybe not from a different planet, but seems that they were
spaced in one way or another.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   

lol... yes because we all know that google is the end all be all...

as you just stated you base your understanding on very simplistic views of the subject...

that is your choice...

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join