It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are the best treatements for scars?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Hi guys, I guess many of you have them, either facial, or on body (acne,hyperthropic,depressed or keloids). Has any of you tried to reduce them or remove them? Have you done any research on how to cure them? And what are your experiences?

I have one facial one (hyperthropic), I have been doing some research and so far Lugols Ioidne caught my attention. Have any of you tried it? Seen any improvement? Do you know about any safe treatements? Creams, or natural, that really do work? That make lost or overgrowth tissue regenerate and get it to it's normal state.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Vitamin E and Coconut Oil are what we use here. Very effective.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Farnhold

Do some research on liquid vitamin E.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers

Have you used it on your own scars? And what improvement have you seen?

I read that iodine may regenerate previous texture of skin and flatten the scar. However, you need to apply it for at least 6 months to see any improvement.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Coconut oil, Vitamin E oil (or wheatgerm oil), Rosehip oil, Olive oil but all must be 100% pure grade to get maximum results.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Rosehip oil is one of my favourites. It helps in regenerating new skin cells and decreasing signs of aging. I also recommend seabuckthorn oil and calendula gel. Hope that helps.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I would highly recommend Aloe Vera gel, its probably best straight from the plant but mine are too small to use so I bought 99.9% pure gel.

I didn't buy it for myself but thought i'd try it on two risen scars on the back of my wrist that i've had for over a year, within a week I could notice the difference. After two weeks the smaller scar has flattened and the texture is smoother and the colour has changed from a reddish purple to almost skin tone. The larger scar is improving just as fast but I assume it is just taking longer because it was bigger.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I'm going to venture out there with this one...there is nothing more effective for scars than hemp salve. I have heard of everything and was turned on to hemp salve by one of my grandmothers friends and use it to this very day. almost daily, with awesome results.

Daily use sounds extreme so let me explain that...I am epileptic and have a bad habit of falling down and going boom all the time, almost always leaving some pretty ugly cuts and scrapes somewhere (usually my head). Anyway the scars on my scalp were getting bad and I was starting to look...well it was getting embarassing.

I have used everything there seems to be on the market at one time or another and nothing heals as clean and natural as hemp salve...it's not the miracle salve but it does a great job for me.

Just thought I would throw that in the mix.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Well,
Your avatar says "handsome bastard". Scars just add a bit of character to all of that boring handsomness. Don't you know that chicks dig em?

edit on 27-5-2011 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints
Well,
Your avatar says "handsome bastard". Scars just add a bit of charachter to all of that boring handsomness. Don't you know that chicks dig em?

I have a scar from cystic acne, no sexy story behind that

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

I have had the best experiences with products made with comfrey root supplemented with allantoin. (comfrey root contains allantoin, but the concentrated powder helps)

10 years ago I had a surgery to repair the disk at c5-6 (anterior cervical fusion), meaning they went thru the front of my neck. I was told it won't be a big scar, but I didn't want to looked like a failed attempt by a serial killer. We had a great herbal shop in my area so I went there for advice. The lady gave me a recipe for a scar cream to use after surgery. I bought all the ingredients and made some for myself. Messy process, but well worth it. No one can tell where my surgery scar is!

I have lost the recipe, but I can tell you it contained comfrey root, allantoin powder, vit E, grape seed oil & bees wax. I used to make batches of the stuff for friends that had surgeries. One had extensive surgery on his ankle. I gave him a jar and he laughed about it, but used it to humor me. He later asked for a more because it had worked so well.

I visited a food co-op a few years ago and looked at the products on the shelf & many contained the same ingredients.

If you are interested, U2U me and I'll send you the process for making it.

Good Luck!

OiO

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
There is something, but it's not natural. It's called dermabraision.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Here's 2 good ones..

Bio-oil
Kaster oil

both great for scars.. boi-oil even lighten stretch marks...

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Unless you want to have a cosmetic procedure, and have it removed by a plastic surgeon, or reduced with dermabrasion, pick up a tube of Mederma, scar gel. You can get it at any pharmacy, even walmart. It's about $12.00 or so a tube. It won't get rid of a scar, but it will make it look better. Even if it's an old one.

It's what doctor's recommend.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

In an earlier post, I recommended MEDERMA, scar gel, and after reading your post, I fetched it out of the drawer to check the ingredients, and they are similar to your recipe.

They are: Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Allium Cepa (Onion) bulb extract, Xanthan Gum, Allantoin, Methylparaben, sorbic acid, water and fragrance.

No biggie. Just a curiosity.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by OLD HIPPY DUDE

I had microdermabrasion on the scar and nurse fudged it up little bit. She did shrink the scar slightly but left me with hypopigmentation (she did not tell me how to treat damaged area and about exposure to sun) and left me with another scar, which is connected to cystic acne scar. Scars are still quite raw and in healing process, I had it done 1-2 months ago.
I am trying to undo damage as soon as possible. :/
edit on 27-5-2011 by Farnhold because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Farnhold

Originally posted by rogerstigers

Have you used it on your own scars? And what improvement have you seen?

I read that iodine may regenerate previous texture of skin and flatten the scar. However, you need to apply it for at least 6 months to see any improvement.

I have not personally, but my wife and friends have. The result is a gradual lessening of scar tissue. It does take time, but a lot of that is simply based on the time it takes new skin cells to grow in.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
The Heritage Store in VA Beach sells an Edgar Cayce remedy for scars called 'scar massage'. I have several bottles of this and use it from time to time. One of the active ingredients is camphor and I believe peanut oil. He suggested using this by massaging into new wounds and it would erase the scar. If you use it on old scars it could even lessen the visible scar. If your scar is only a few months old, I'd definitely try this out as it is supposed to break down and rebuild the tissue. Hope that helps you.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Hemp oil is one very effective remedy.
But that's illegal.
So, nevermind.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I had surgery on my thumb last summer and the physical therapist used iodine a couple of times to help break up the scar tissue. I don't know if the same methods used on my surgical scar would work on acne type scarring but the one method that worked best on my my scar was using silicone sheets. it flattened and broke up the scar tissue fairly well.

silicone sheets can be found in most drug stores, in the first aid section - with the bandaids.

not cheap but I found that the store bought stuff worked better than the free strips the PT gave me. they stuck to the skin better and lasted a bit longer.

top topics

join