It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fukushima melt-down worse than Chernobyl

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   

The situation at the quake-hit Fukushima nuclear power plant in Japan appears to have fit into the worst predicted scenario. Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO), which operates Fukushima, has officially admitted that fuel rods at the Fukushima reactors have partially melted, with a melt-down registered at one of the reactors. Remarkably, the announcement came on Tuesday when IAEA delegations arrived in Japan to inspect the power plant

TEPCO promised that the situation would improve within 6-9 months, while radiation levels would drop to normal in three months. However, in late April Japan`s Nuclear Safety Commission raised the nuclear threat level at Fukushima up to the highest seventh level. This level previously only applied to the 1986 Chernobyl disaster. This month TEPCO officials started revealing all data about the crippled Fukushima power plant.

Source

At what point do we become alarmed? At what point does it matter? The MSM has been relatively silent about the disaster, but at this point some are estimating it will lead to the deaths of 200,000. I think we need more international involvement, and I think the MSM needs to follow this closely.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

If this had more media coverage I think there would be thousands upon thousands of people demanding that the Japanese people get relocated.

TPTB don't want that I'm sure.

Also, 1% of a mega corporations annual profit margin is too much to shell out for the lives of 200,000.

Just not worth it I guess.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Double post please delete.
Second.
edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

At what point do we become alarmed?

If you don't live in Japan...I would say the answer is never.

It's a horrible local disaster...not a worldwide disaster.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

At what point do we become alarmed? At what point does it matter?

It matters now, but I think they're going to stay as quiet as they can about it, for as long as they can. They're not even saying anything about the Japanese people anymore, and they seem to be stuck there, with no way out

Sure, we're approximately 10 thousand miles away from there, but what about some of the imports from closer to Japan. Anytime the wind changes direction, and it must sometimes, then it blows over South Korea, China and India, who provide some of what we eat and drink.

We're a big experiment now.

And then there's the seafood and the sealife

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

You are kidding, right? You are sorely mistaken if you think this will not affect the rest of the world.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

There are alot of factors involved for you to discount this so quickly. Chernobyl affected the world. The radiation clouds are already effecting the world and elevating backround levels to higher than they were previously. There is no "acceptable safe levels" of radiation. Especially for fetuses in the first trimester which are 1000 times more sensitive to this.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
It's been worse than Chernobyl since the start, but there is a big difference in that chernobyl actually blew, sending the radiation much higher than it would get if it was just being released.

As long as none of the reactors truly blow up, it will stay, for the most part, localized.

I do think the Island of Japan is over though.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
The most worrying thing is the fact that this story no longer seems important enough to be covered by the media anymore!

IMHO,this is the most important story occuring in the world at the moment!

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

There are alot of factors involved for you to discount this so quickly. Chernobyl affected the world. The radiation clouds are already effecting the world and elevating backround levels to higher than they were previously. There is no "acceptable safe levels" of radiation. Especially for fetuses in the first trimester which are 1000 times more sensitive to this.

If there is no "acceptable safe levels" of radiation...then we should all be dead. Radiation is everywhere...just like almost anything...it is only high levels that are truly dangerous. Tell me...do you ever go out into the sun? Stand next to a brick building? Fly in an airplane? Breath the air? If you do...you are exposed to radiation.

Chernobyl had huge explosions exposing the core which blew radioactive particles high enough to get into the jet stream...Fukushima didn't. And since we all survived Chernobyl...I really don't think there is any need to panic...or to incite panic with mis-information.

Fukushima is horrible LOCAL disaster...for people outside that local area to try to make the disaster about them is disrespectful to those that are truly affected by this disaster.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
It's been worse than Chernobyl since the start, but there is a big difference in that chernobyl actually blew, sending the radiation much higher than it would get if it was just being released.

As long as none of the reactors truly blow up, it will stay, for the most part, localized.

Oh, you mean blew like this?

"Fukushima nuclear plant rocked by second reactor explosion"

www.guardian.co.uk...

You should pay more attention. Just saying.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ossminid

Oh, you mean blew like this?

"Fukushima nuclear plant rocked by second reactor explosion"

www.guardian.co.uk...

You should pay more attention. Just saying.

No, I dont mean like that. The 3 explosions at Fukushima were external-the core itself did not blow, which is what happened at Chernobyl.

BIG difference.

Perhaps YOU should pay more attention-or at least do some research-before calling someone else out.

"Just saying"
edit on 27-5-2011 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

I think everyone who's been monitoring it knows it's bad, and has been bad, like Chernobyl. I feel very sorry for the people of Japan and everyone else who's affected, whether it's the entire world or not.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Way to swallow the 'official' story, lol. Nah, those explosions were cherry bombs in the toilets! Duh!

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Way to swallow the 'official' story, lol. Nah, those explosions were cherry bombs in the toilets! Duh!

Right. Did you happen to view the videos? Did you compare them to Chernobyl? Completely different types of explosions.

Search all you want for a way to make yourself right, but you arent.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   

If there is no "acceptable safe levels" of radiation...then we should all be dead. Radiation is everywhere...just like almost anything...it is only high levels that are truly dangerous. Tell me...do you ever go out into the sun? Stand next to a brick building? Fly in an airplane? Breath the air? If you do...you are exposed to radiation.

Chernobyl had huge explosions exposing the core which blew radioactive particles high enough to get into the jet stream...Fukushima didn't. And since we all survived Chernobyl...I really don't think there is any need to panic...or to incite panic with mis-information.

Fukushima is horrible LOCAL disaster...for people outside that local area to try to make the disaster about them is disrespectful to those that are truly affected by this disaster.

Increasing your exposure has a direct correlation to increasing your cancer risk, no matter how "small" you think it is. Fukushima is not in the clear yet either, there is still a chance for more explosions and more meltdowns.

It's sad how you are willing to write it off at this point.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Right. Did you happen to view the videos? Did you compare them to Chernobyl? Completely different types of explosions.

WRONG...
second line
Yep, you're still wrong...

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by dangermouse

WRONG...
second line
Yep, you're still wrong...

Based on what? Your word? Naw, I think I'll take science's word over yours.

It's as though people on here WANT it to be worse than it is. Pathetic.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Can any of you guys take a look at this and tell me what you think........I spotted these large lights in other videos on Japan afew days after their EQK and Tsunami and was trying to figure out for the life of me what they were because it did'nt look normal:

Video 1: youtu.be...

Here's a close up....

Video 2: youtu.be...

Video 3: youtu.be...

Thanks

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

I think it definately has the potential to be a world-wide disaster

top topics

<<   2 >>

join