It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"We have a warrant" replaced with: "Someone's having a heart attack"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   

One of the Stamford officers, who were in plainclothes and carrying firearms, yelled that someone outside was having a heart attack, but the Pomponis did not open the door, the lawsuit stated.

What is that? If they can trick you into opening the door they don't need a warrant?

The cops had a warrant for the brother of a resident at the address.

Apparently just an arrest warrant. Not a search warrant.

The agreement to resolve the case came after Stamford and Norwalk city attorneys offered a $30,000 settlement earlier this month.

The city seemed to think they were completely screwed and the plaintiffs could have gotten a lot more:

"It was best financial interest of the city to resolve it," Larobina said. Norwalk paid $7,500 of the settlement amount.

www.stamfordadvocate.com...

Maybe a cop can explain how this works? The whole "somebody's having a heart attack" nonsense.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I think that if the person who's name is on the arrest warrant opens the door, then it's fair game. I think that if any other person opens the door and the officer enters the premises w/o a search warrant or permission of the homeowner, then there is a huge problem.

Sure, the "Someone's having a heart attack" is sneaky, but sometimes you have to be creative when trying to apprehend a criminal, as the criminals certainly get creative in their capture avoidance. This likely caught the fugitive off guard, whereas announcing the officer's presence/intentions may have resulted in a resistive situation that could have potentially escalated in a flash.

EDIT: to add that in this particular case, the cop was in the wrong, as he did enter the home forcibly w/o a search warrant.
edit on 27-5-2011 by Aggie Man because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

I understand that sometimes LE officers have to be creative to do their job, but this is just garbage!

Not only are the cops hired to protect and serve, but also to uphold a higher standard of professionalism and respect. They should always err on the side of the citizens rights, as they are more important then arresting some criminal.

These sneaky games or outright lies do nothing to maintain higher repoire with citizens, and not only should we respect our LE officers, but they should respect us as well.

This was not respect!

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
They should always err on the side of the citizens rights, as they are more important then arresting some criminal.

Doing that would get in the way of statistics for grant money for hovercrafts and happy hour boasting with their buddies.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

"Sure, the "Someone's having a heart attack" is sneaky, but sometimes you have to be creative when trying to apprehend a criminal, as the criminals certainly get creative in their capture avoidance"

yea i'll remember that next time

Loud yell outside - "OmG hes having a heart attack someone please call for help"

Wife inside - "Hunnie we should call for help"

Husband - " No hunnie its just the sheiff playing tricks go back to the kitchen and fetch me my steak "

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
The "Someone's having a heart attack" gives them the belief someone is having a medical emergency.

BUT they can not start opening closets. cabinets or drawers looking for things.
The other one the cops can pull is due to the fact most cell phones now have GPS.
A cop could walk up to the outside of a home or apartment and make a domestic abuse call on a throwaway phone.

Then they could demand entry to look for the caller.
GPS is not perfict and the signal has a accuracy that can be variable .
Cell phone signals can be track to somewhere between 10 to 50 foot of where the cell phone is.

This could also be use by someone to set up someone they have a grudge against.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by seedofchucky

"Sure, the "Someone's having a heart attack" is sneaky, but sometimes you have to be creative when trying to apprehend a criminal, as the criminals certainly get creative in their capture avoidance"

yea i'll remember that next time

It is my practice to never open the door for anyone that is not invited. I've had cops knock on my door before and I just ignore the knock as if I'm not home. Heck, I won't even answer the door for my family if they show up at my door unannounced.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I can hear the cross examination in court.

Defense atty: Do you sir consider yourself
a credible police officer who will tell the truth??

Cop: Yes sir

Defense Atty: Was the statement you yelled
out a lie ???

Cop: yes sir

Judge: Case dismissed

top topics

join