It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

French scientists have confirmed with computer models that Gliese 581d has a stable atmosphere, comf

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
For those of you that don't know, Gliese d is a planet orbiting a red dwarf star roughly 20 light years away. They have been able to determine, using computer models that it has a stable atmosphere, comfortable temperature and has a surface covered in liquid water.

While Gliese 581d is too small and far away to observe directly, we can infer some things about it from the gravitational effects that it has on its parent star and fellow planets. We know that Gliese 581d is about twice the size of Earth (and six times the mass), we know that it's rocky (not a gas giant like Jupiter or Saturn). This means that it's large enough and dense enough to be able to hold on to a substantial atmosphere. We can also estimate about how much energy Gliese 581d receives from its red dwarf star, and based on all of this information, French scientists have been able to model a range of potential climates showing that "GJ581d will have a stable atmosphere and surface liquid water for a wide range of plausible cases."

They did go on to say, however:

That's not to say it would necessarily be a pleasant place to live, though. The atmosphere is mostly CO2, and while you'd get clouds and warm rain and oceans and stuff, the surface itself would be "in a perpetual murky red twilight." The planet also may be tidally locked (meaning that one side perpetually faces its sun), and at double Earth's gravity, it's not exactly a vacation spot.

There is a bit of bad news, for anyone hoping to visit there any time soon

While 20 light years is extremely close on the galactic scale, using current technology it would still take us humans about 300,000 years to reach the Gliese system. A better bet, at least for now, might be to just send an interstellar probe, which might be able to reach Gliese 581d in just a century or two.

Habitable exoplanet confirmed?

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Sounds like conditions are about right for life if you ask me (I know many of you were waiting to ask me).

Still, a 300k trip to see if there is mold seems like a bit of a waste. We are going to need "freaky physics" to get there a bit faster. 3 day roadtrip...sure. 300k year roadtrip...naa, lets go back to the moon.

Still, interesting the more this develops. I wonder if the Glieseanians (Gliesanites? G-units?) need to wear sunscreen

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I don't think was confirmed in the slightest bit.

Here is the first part of the paper that the article was supposedly based on.

It has been suggested that... GJ581d might be able to support liquid water... ...Under such conditions, it is unknown whether any habitable climate on the planet would be able to withstand global glaciation and / or atmospheric collapse.... ...Here we present three-dimensional climate simulations..."

arxiv.org...

It's all based on what if, certainly not a confirmation of anything apart from what their simulation said IF certain things were present.
edit on 27-5-2011 by pazcat because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Griffo

I expect more of these type of discoveries to pop up in the future, especially as our models become more advanced and our ability to analyze data becomes even more efficient. We are only now scratching the surface I feel.

This definitely adds more fuel to the fire. The old saying goes: "We are not alone".

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
"French scientists have confirmed with computer models that Gliese 581d has a stable atmosphere"

More funding please .... please don't put such foolish headlines . I can confirm bigfoot the edge of the universe and hell unicorns with "computer models"

but the beauty of science is ....

"sci·ence/ˈsīəns/Noun
1. The intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment"

key words

natural world

observation

experiment

Lets send the probe already . We can speculate till our faces turn blue with computer models . But who are we kidding our selfs? Or the people sending the funds for more "computer model research"

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by pazcat

It has been suggested that... GJ581d might be able to support liquid water... ...Under such conditions, it is unknown whether any habitable climate on the planet would be able to withstand global glaciation and / or atmospheric collapse.... ...Here we present three-dimensional climate simulations..."

arxiv.org...

It's all based on what if, certainly not a confirmation of anything apart from what their simulation said IF certain things were present.

lol thanks for saving my time i really appreciate it. =]]

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by pazcat

arxiv.org...

Well, you are right, however, the likelyhood is pretty...well, likely.
water (or at least the elements hydrogen and oxygen) are the most common elements in the milky way (arguably universe). I would argue that if there is a planet that could support liquid water, it does support liquid water just because if how common it is.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by unicomsol

Still, interesting the more this develops. I wonder if the Glieseanians (Gliesanites? G-units?) need to wear sunscreen

I doubt it sunscreen isn't good for you anyways. I'm sure whatever form of evolution happens on said planet for the lifeforms there; if there are life forms have naturally occurring protection like most animals on this Earth; who are exposed to the sun a lot.

I for one won't be rubbing the poisonous chemical constituents of sunscreen into my skin.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by unicomsol

water (or at least the elements hydrogen and oxygen) are the most common elements in the milky way (arguably universe). I would argue that if there is a planet that could support liquid water, it does support liquid water just because if how common it is.

Actually hydrogen and Helium are the most common elements in the Universe and Milk-way. But yes with Oxygen being the 3rd most abundant there is a chance liquid water could be present on the surface and environment.
Abundance of Elements in the Universe

top topics

join